Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ramon Sessions please

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MangoKid
    replied
    charlz wrote: View Post
    SF and PG are what this off season is about. Need to do homework on all this.

    FYI I meant to type Calderon gets the NOD rather than Calderon get the NOT but I also think Calderon is a back up..

    I hope they don't go rookie at PG since it takes a number of years for most PG's to be effective in the league.
    1) Lowry
    2) Sessions
    3) Jennings if the price is right

    I am not interested in Damian Lillard at all, I really like Marshalls game but I am concerned that he may not be athletic enough. He looked average in NCAA where he was surrounded by size and talent to help him cover up mistakes.
    SF has been this team's need since the end of the Carter days. Addressing the point guard position (at least starting point guard) isn't a pressing concern, but upgrading it would be nice. And in my opinion, Ramon Sesions is definitely NOT an upgrade over Jose Calderon.

    Marshall looked average in the NCAA? Athletically, sure, but he created well for others, kept his turnovers down and was starting to shoot the rock well when he was felled by his injury. Others covered up his mistakes? Perhaps you didn't catch too many Tar Heel matches because without him, they looked lost.

    Leave a comment:


  • charlz
    replied
    MangoKid wrote: View Post
    You're still on this? Maybe you should put this topic to bed. The consensus in here have said that he'd be a good backup, nothing more. And the salary he's going to command, he probably isn't the right fit here.
    SF and PG are what this off season is about. Need to do homework on all this.

    FYI I meant to type Calderon gets the NOD rather than Calderon get the NOT but I also think Calderon is a back up..

    I hope they don't go rookie at PG since it takes a number of years for most PG's to be effective in the league.
    1) Lowry
    2) Sessions
    3) Jennings if the price is right

    I am not interested in Damian Lillard at all, I really like Marshalls game but I am concerned that he may not be athletic enough. He looked average in NCAA where he was surrounded by size and talent to help him cover up mistakes.

    Leave a comment:


  • MangoKid
    replied
    You're still on this? Maybe you should put this topic to bed. The consensus in here have said that he'd be a good backup, nothing more. And the salary he's going to command, he probably isn't the right fit here.

    Leave a comment:


  • charlz
    replied
    MangoKid wrote: View Post
    basketball reference
    http://www.82games.com/1011/10TOR1.HTM
    http://www.82games.com/1011/10CLE1.HTM

    Calderon does get nod ( previous season) but again Session did get better this year and that CLE team was in big tank mode. They unloaded Mo Williams and ended up with pick #1 and #5.
    Last edited by charlz; Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:45 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • MangoKid
    replied
    charlz wrote: View Post
    Where is the link for this? is this one of those 82games.com things?
    basketball reference

    Leave a comment:


  • charlz
    replied
    MangoKid wrote: View Post
    His rating is still better than Sessions. As is his defensive win share.
    Where is the link for this? is this one of those 82games.com things?

    Leave a comment:


  • Nilanka
    replied
    phdmac wrote: View Post
    and behind Luke Ridnour is Minnesota. Yes, he was made expendable by Luke Ridnour
    I always thought Ridnour was an underrated PG, but I still agree with your point

    Leave a comment:


  • phdmac
    replied
    He was behind Jennings, Irving and Luke Ridnour in Minnesota. Yes, he was made expendable by Luke Ridnour.
    Last edited by phdmac; Thu Jun 21st, 2012, 11:20 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • charlz
    replied
    tucas wrote: View Post
    Calderon is the most efficient passer in the league when it comes to ast/to ratio. And to average over 8 assist per game he's a top 10 point guard in the league
    I don't think anyone disagrees that he is good and even great at running and offense (although he is not too good at getting his own shot).

    But if this team wants to hang its hat on Defense and toughness in the mold of D CASEY - JC gotta go... he aint that guy.

    Leave a comment:


  • charlz
    replied
    Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    I watched Cleveland more than the Raptors and I miss Ramon Sessions. He's one of the best backup point guards in the league and can handle starter minutes for extended periods.

    Great slasher and, unlike Bayless, he has good court vision while slashing. But he's not a jump shooter and his 3-point percentage last year was a fluke, not his norm. I expect him to shoot 30-35% on threes next year.
    Great scouting report I agree word for word. Although i would not sell his jumper short. He may not be up around %50 from three this year again but .300 is likely a tad harsh.

    Leave a comment:


  • tucas
    replied
    Calderon is the most efficient passer in the league when it comes to ast/to ratio. And to average over 8 assist per game he's a top 10 point guard in the league, sessions would have trouble cracking the top 30. Why would we get rid of Calderon when he likes it here in Toronto and his passing skills are only getting better. People talk because he's getting old but hes only gotten better with his age like Nash. I wouldn't mind sessions as a backup pg but I don't see a point in that since bayless is just as good, if not better, and cheaper

    Leave a comment:


  • ReubenJRD
    replied
    charlz wrote: View Post
    Calderon is a terrible defender and god forbid he is coming of an injury because he is totally useless.

    They have junked up so many defensive schemes to hide Calderon it is pathetic.

    Sessions is respectable and has better east west speed to defend at the point of attack and is cheaper.


    I believe sessions is getting better and Calderon is getting worse.
    Sessions is a top 3 point shooter in the league.

    Calderon can run an offense very well when healthy beyond that he is the biggest liability on the defensive end - he is such a weak link in the chain that it is a quagmire in DC's defense.... he has to go!
    Did you watch any games this season? If not than you must not really know the importance of Jose Calderon to this team. Fill Sessions in that role, and our average of scoring will be 50 points a game. No one on this team can really create their own shot.
    We saw how stagnant and slow this offence moved with Bayless, who in my opinion is better than Sessions. Committing to Sessions will only make us worse.

    IF he was the back-up to Calderon, I wouldn't mind it, he's cheap, efficient, and is a very good penetrator in the lane. But everyone needs to remember, Sessions didn't have to do much to make others better because they were playing through Gasol in the high post, and almost every player besides Metta World Peace in the starting unit, could create their own shot. Fisher was a system point guard, and they were able to live with him because he was a kick-out shooter, and a guy that could run the play. They just wanted more penetration and Fisher couldn't give it, that's why they traded for Sessions. But in my opinion, with Fisher, they still would've lost in game 5 to the Thunder.

    Leave a comment:


  • Hugmenot
    replied
    I watched Cleveland more than the Raptors and I miss Ramon Sessions. He's one of the best backup point guards in the league and can handle starter minutes for extended periods.

    Great slasher and, unlike Bayless, he has good court vision while slashing. But he's not a jump shooter and his 3-point percentage last year was a fluke, not his norm. I expect him to shoot 30-35% on threes next year.

    The Cavaliers experimented a bit with Sessions and Irving on the floor at the same time (Sessions brought the ball up) and although it worked somewhat on the offensive end, it was a disaster on the defensive end as neither player could cover a shooting guard (Irving was horrible on defense last year regardless of who he waved by).

    Cleveland traded him to the Lakers because it was clear he would not pick up his option and they did not have the minutes to justify awarding him a $6-7 million a year contract; he did not have an attitude problem.

    I don't see why the Raptors would be interested in Sessions at 6M+ a year because Calderon is a better point guard and a much better jump shooter, something the Raptors sorely need.

    Leave a comment:


  • ReubenJRD
    replied
    Brandon wrote: View Post
    Too expensive/not good enough.

    Get superstars, then build around them with guys like this, not the other way around.
    +1

    Leave a comment:


  • minks77
    replied
    Sessions can put up numbers no doubt but he's floated around for just that reason: he can put up good enough #'s to fool teams into picking him up but he can't lead a team consistently. His D isn't great and his offence is inconsistent. He'd be a solid back up if his numbers were slightly worse (forcing everyone to admit he's not a starter) but he'll put together some incredible stretches that force teams to say he should be a starter (sounds like JC back in the forderon days).

    I think he's had bad luck being behind much better players but I don't think he's an upgrade over Jose. He's younger but his shot is nowhere near as good and his overall court sense, IMO, is much lower than JC. At best this would be a lateral move that would make the team younger but not necessarily better.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X