Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batum vs JJ

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Batum vs JJ

    sssss ss MPG / FG% / 3pt% / FT% / Orb / Drb / RPG / AST / Blk / Stl / TO / PPG
    Batum: 30.4 / 45.1% / 39.1% / 83.6% / 1.4 / 3.2 / 4.6 / 1.4 / 1.0 / 1.0 / 1.53 / 13.9 6'8'' 23 y/o 7'1'' (or 7'4''?)

    JJ: 25.2 / 45.0% / 31.7% / 70.4% / 1.2 / 3.5 / 4.7 / 2.0 / 1.4 / 1.2 / 1.63 / 9.1 6'9'' 25 y/o 7'1''


    Seeing as how most people on these threads seem real high on Batum, and seemingly little credit to JJ, I thought it would be cool to see them being compared, AKA can JJ really be the starting SF we are looking for.

    Lets start off with: PER 36 Mins, JJ averages more Rebounds(+19%), Assists(+39%, last years asts = +54%), Blocks(+37%), Steals (+31%)
    we can see that JJ is more than a third better at Asts, Blocks, and steals, while being marginally better at rebounds!

    What does Batum have over JJ?
    quick answer: offensive efficiency.

    Ts%: Batum - 57.5% eFG%: 53.4% PP36: 16.4
    JJ - 49.8% 46.8% 13.1

    Clearly JJ is not a strong offensive player, averaging much worse in terms of 3pt%, FT%, but equal FG%.

    Batum has the potential to be a star player, whereas JJ has the potential of a defensive spark plug.

    Defensively both are more than competent with room for growth for both players. JJ's height advantage and overall bulk gives him the upper hand against the SF's in this league.

    Summary:

    Batum is a great player, but perhaps we already have a watered down version of him right under our nose for cheap. JJ shows he can keep up on defense (probably being the best defensive player on the Raps) while having the instincts and intangibles that keep him at the top of the league in blocks and steals. Batum without a jumpshot, but compensated with everything else = JJ. Those assists JJ provide could also prove to be very valuable, showing ability to get teammates involved!

    Personally my favourite scenario that will lock up the SF position for years to come is to have JJ backing up Batum. All of a sudden our SF position has in it a polished offensive game including 3pt shooting, toughness, defense, intangibles, team work, low TOs, and height.
    All in all if Batum does not sign with us, JJ could still be a serviceable starter bringing to the table similar skills to Batum and some superior skills, and he should be considered with a higher perspective.
    Last edited by enlightenment; Thu Jun 21st, 2012, 03:26 AM.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

  • #2
    The problem with watered down versions of other players is when we play those players.... well they are a watered down version...
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

    Comment


    • #3
      i like jj. i think that he might be of the mindset he is more than others think he is. if he could embrace and excel as a stopper he would be a fantastic reserve for this team.

      Comment


      • #4
        I first read this thread title as "Batman vs. JJ" :|

        IMO, neither JJ or Batum is our long-term answer at SF.

        Comment


        • #5
          Nilanka wrote: View Post
          I first read this thread title as "Batman vs. JJ" :|

          IMO, neither JJ or Batum is our long-term answer at SF.
          having never played basketball batman would still find a way to win on court if that is where jj wanted to battle

          Comment


          • #6
            First it's obvious at this point that Batman would 'try' to play basketball but Bain would break his back on a block, then Van Gundy would get upset on the replay (or alternately call it a clean block).

            As for JJ, those who keep spouting on about JJ being the answer...well, you're nuts. Like batsh!t crazy. You can't measure a guys PER for 36 minutes when he never plays 36 minutes, Batum has, and probably has a lot, JJ on the other hand, probably not as much.

            The real truth is that if JJ was just as good as these potential SF's we're thinking of bringing in, then he would have got the minutes, he'd be a regular in the rotation, but he wasn't. Even in a shortened season, he started a couple of times, came of the bench a lot, was a DNP a couple of times, that in itself is the tell, he's not consistent.

            So now I'm going to have to ask Bain to break JJ's back to end this futile argument.

            Go Raps!
            i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

            Comment


            • #7
              But does Batman play in costume, or as Bruce Wayne? The mask would seriously hinder his court-vision....

              Comment


              • #8
                Nilanka wrote: View Post
                But does Batman play in costume, or as Bruce Wayne? The mask would seriously hinder his court-vision....
                Richard Hamilton played with a mask for most of his career, and it didn't seem to hinder him

                Comment


                • #9
                  lol, I stand corrected.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think we have beaten the batum topic to death
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Agreed.
                      Now if somebody can do above analysis comparing JJ with Iggy, I think it would blow everybody's mind.
                      The only issue MIGHT BE JJ's "menthal toughness" (or whatever happened near the end of season when he was benched/suspended by team).
                      Batum is also capable of playing 2 (JJ, DD, Batum -3 player rotation at 2 & 3?).
                      Plus JJ has size to play some 4 (nice to have flexibility).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Are we really comparing JJ to Batum, as though they are equal-ish players?? Wow.

                        Batum has all-star potential, as a solid contributor on both ends of the court. JJ is an inconsistent backup. I'd much rather pay Batum $10M than pay JJ more than $3M.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          Are we really comparing JJ to Batum, as though they are equal-ish players?? Wow.

                          Batum has all-star potential, as a solid contributor on both ends of the court. JJ is an inconsistent backup. I'd much rather pay Batum $10M than pay JJ more than $3M.
                          +1 Thank you!
                          i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            pillowmint wrote: View Post
                            First it's obvious at this point that Batman would 'try' to play basketball but Bain would break his back on a block, then Van Gundy would get upset on the replay (or alternately call it a clean block).

                            As for JJ, those who keep spouting on about JJ being the answer...well, you're nuts. Like batsh!t crazy. You can't measure a guys PER for 36 minutes when he never plays 36 minutes, Batum has, and probably has a lot, JJ on the other hand, probably not as much.

                            The real truth is that if JJ was just as good as these potential SF's we're thinking of bringing in, then he would have got the minutes, he'd be a regular in the rotation, but he wasn't. Even in a shortened season, he started a couple of times, came of the bench a lot, was a DNP a couple of times, that in itself is the tell, he's not consistent.

                            So now I'm going to have to ask Bain to break JJ's back to end this futile argument.

                            Go Raps!
                            You are correct. We don't know if JJ can produce (at that projected level) over 35 plus minutes.
                            Where was he at the begining of the year? Behind Butler & even Kleiza. I firmly believe that he made huge strides over this shortened season. Is he our answer at 3? I don't know, BUT I sure as hell would give it time to find out BEFORE we commit most of our cap space AND resources (read draft, possibly Ed, Demar and/or ?????) getting Gay or Iggy.
                            At least getting Batum (if Portland does not match) would cost us cap space only, while preserving our assets.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              thread would be cooler if it was batman vs jj
                              @sweatpantsjer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X