2012 Raptors Republic Mock Draft: Fan Edition - 11th Overall Pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Raptors Republic Mock Draft: Fan Edition - 11th Overall Pick

Here comes another team that has 2 picks in the lottery - the Portland Trail Blazers. Raptors Republic awarded them Bradley Beal with their first selection at #6

Raptors Republic, who do you think the Portland Trail Blazers will take with the #11th pick in the 2012 NBA Draft?
    Austin Rivers, PG/SG, Duke
    4.76%
    Jared Sullinger, PF, Ohio State
    9.52%
    Meyers Leonard, C, Illinois
    52.38%
    Tyler Zeller, C, North Carolina
    28.57%
    Terrence Jones, PF/SF, Kentucky
    0.00%
    Terrence Ross, SG/SF Washington
    0.00%
    Mo Harkless, SG/SF, St. John's
    0.00%
    Jeremy Lamb, SG, Connecticut
    4.76%

The poll is expired.

zeller. great complimentary player

Comment

If it breaks down like this, it's gotta be Zeller or Leonard... they've already picked up a wing player with their previous pick, any decent PG is already taken, and with the team's injury history, they'll avoid Sullinger like the plague. That said, I could see them really hoping that Marshall's still on the board for them.

Comment

I went for Leonard...he just seems to have more upside than Zeller.

Comment

Why isn't Dion Waiters an option? I know he isn't a good fit, especially considering they took Beal at #6, but he's probably the BPA.

Comment

KingMaxwell47 wrote: View Post
            Why isn't Dion Waiters an option? I know he isn't a good fit, especially considering they took Beal at #6, but he's probably the BPA.
            Just doesn't make sense with wesley mathews already there, and I'm not real sold on Dion Waiters. Isn't he just another ben gordon?

Id look at Marshall, Henson, or Zeller.

btw, this mock draft was set up too early. With recent trades and other recent chatter, there is no way that a player like Beal would fall to 6. Or that GSW would take PJIII, especially after he had a bad workout for them. OR MKG is taken 2nd overall.

Comment

He's not an option for the very reason you listed - because they were "assigned" Bradley Beal at no.6. The Blazers have other needs such as a big man to play alongside Aldridge, a point guard and a swingman just in case Batum departs. That's why he's not listed.

They're not the timberwolves. Chances are, they're not gonna use 2 lottery selections to fill the same position.

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post

btw, this mock draft was set up too early. With recent trades and other recent chatter, there is no way that a player like Beal would fall to 6. Or that GSW would take PJIII, especially after he had a bad workout for them. OR MKG is taken 2nd overall.
                http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...012+mock+draft

Comment

From the list of available players, knowing they had already selected Beal @ #6, I went with Leonard. In this scenario, I expect Portland would go for a C, which means Leonard or Zeller. They'd be set long-term with Aldridge, Batum and Beal. None of the remaining PGs would be worth the #11 pick, IMO, so going for C seems like a no-brainer.

The only way I could see them choosing somebody other than Leonard/Zeller is if they absolutely weren't high on either C, went with the BPA philosophy and selected a guy like Rivers/Lamb who they had ranked well ahead of Leonard/Zeller on their big board.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    He's not an option for the very reason you listed - because they were "assigned" Bradley Beal at no.6. The Blazers have other needs such as a big man to play alongside Aldridge, a point guard and a swingman just in case Batum departs. That's why he's not listed.

They're not the timberwolves. Chances are, they're not gonna use 2 lottery selections to fill the same position.
                    Then why are Rivers and Lamb options? I don't mean to be a pest, but DW makes more sense than both of them, considering he might be able to play spot minutes at point and the Blazers have been one of the teams rumoured to most likely move one of their picks.

Comment

Then why are Rivers and Lamb options? I don't mean to be a pest, but DW makes more sense than both of them, considering he might be able to play spot minutes at point and the Blazers have been one of the teams rumoured to most likely move one of their picks.
                      The majority of the forum is voting that the Blazers are taking a big man. I don't think the inclusion of Dion Waiters in this poll would have made a difference.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        From the list of available players, knowing they had already selected Beal @ #6, I went with Leonard. In this scenario, I expect Portland would go for a C, which means Leonard or Zeller. They'd be set long-term with Aldridge, Batum and Beal. None of the remaining PGs would be worth the #11 pick, IMO, so going for C seems like a no-brainer.

The only way I could see them choosing somebody other than Leonard/Zeller is if they absolutely weren't high on either C, went with the BPA philosophy and selected a guy like Rivers/Lamb who they had ranked well ahead of Leonard/Zeller on their big board.
                        +1 Good points. I see a centre as well. Their wing consists of Batum, Matthews, and Beal if drafted #6. Than there are point guards from Marshall, Teague, Wroten Jr. But they aren't a stretch at the #11 spot. Zeller is a long kid, he would be a really nice fit in with Lamarcus Aldridge.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

With the 11th pick in the 2012 Raptors Republic Mock Draft, the Portland Trail Blazers select...

MEYERS LEONARD, C, ILLINOIS

2011-12 NCAA Statistics

PPG: 13.6
                          RPG: 8.2
                          BPG: 1.9
                          FG%: 58.4

Positives
                          •Long, athletic big man
                          •Runs the floor well
                          •Quick for a big guy
                          •Solid scorer around the basket
                          •Very good defensive presence in the post
                          •Good rebounder and shot blocker

Negatives
                          •A raw offensive player
                          •Needs more focus and concentration
                          •Needs to add strength

Analysis, as per ESPN Scouts

Leonard is also a physical specimen. He's huge and a very good athlete for a player his size. He isn't Drummond-level freaky, but he's not far off.

What surprised me was how well he shot from 10-12 feet. He's not going to be, primarily, a face-the-basket big, but he showed over and over in the workout that he can hit that shot consistently.

Usually big men with his size and athletic ability are top-10 picks. I think teams are concerned about his maturity and fear he may be a two- to three-year project. That may be right. But I heard all the same fears about DeAndre Jordan and Joel Przybilla, and Leonard could be a similar type of player at the next level.

Big men rise the closer we get to the draft. Leonard is counting on it. He's got the size, athleticism, rebounding and shot-blocking ability to succeed in the NBA. But he's a project -- he's pretty raw offensively and at times, he loses focus. But as one of the few true 7-footers in the draft, teams will be willing to gamble in the late lottery to mid-first round.

Comment

Working...
                          X