• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey
    replied
    Bouncepass wrote: View Post
    Interesting...
    Hmm nice find. Very interesting. And that was all before the draft took place.

Leave a comment:

• Bouncepass
    replied
    Terrence Ross, 6-7 forward, Washington: "Maybe the biggest sleeper in the draft. He's athletic, he shoots it, he's competitive. His basketball I.Q. is a question, but that wouldn't concern me. One of the best shooters I've seen. He can really stroke it. He's far away physically, but he can put on strength. I like that he gets in his stance and tries to guard."

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz1zFzIdiAN
    Interesting...

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I’d also offer that the media’s perspective of player values is interesting, but it doesn’t always align with pro team’s perspectives – and one of those two enjoys a significant information advantage by virtue of the resources invested into the draft process.

If you look back historically, I think you’ll find that the real decisions (actual drafts) fare better in terms of assessing player value than the media projections (mock drafts). Neither is perfect, but one has less error than the other.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...ecame-a-raptor

This is exactly what I've been saying in here the past day. The media gets it wrong every year but they're not held accountable, general managers will be if they're wrong. If Ford and Hollinger are so great then why are they sitting on the sideline?

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    RPT23 wrote: View Post
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone read this today but I thought this was pretty interesting on ESPN:

Yeah good read

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    RPT23 wrote: View Post
    Hey guys, I'm not sure if anyone read this today but I thought this was pretty interesting on ESPN:

Just to point out that you will always find the best info here, that article quotes the exact site you are looking at

Leave a comment:

• RPT23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Chr1s1anL
    replied
    After seeing a player like Shane Battier have such a successful Finals. I can't be more happy about this pick. Player that can play D and be a knock down shooter is gold in this league. I feel like T-Ross has a way higher ceiling than that. If his floor is a Shane Battier than I'll be a happy raptor fan

Leave a comment:

• Prime
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Well, we've got the Nash rumours that no one is denying. Bargs isn't going anywhere. And they've talked about shooters on the wing since the end of the season and just drafted one. Doesn't seem very complicated from where I sit. Again, I confess to having no clue what Colangelo is doing (I haven't since 2006) but it doesn't strike me as absurd speculation.
    Let's see...
    he's going back toward his Phoenix formula that he tried to emulate here from 06-08. Nash, an offensive big in the pick and roll, surrounded by shooters. The x-factor, presumably, will be Casey's defensive strategy/tactics. It's a long way from completion but at least there appears to be some sort of plan, unlike the last 4 years....
    Phoenix didn't really have a plethora of good shooters back then. Only Raja Bell and Barbosa come to mind, unless you want to count Joe Johnson.

What they had was a young, super athletic core who could make plays in transition.

Leave a comment:

• jimmie
    replied
    Yep. Among the guys I could see gone, in order of odds they go: Davis; Calderon; J. Johnson; Derozan (+Bayless/Weems/Forbes). To get a starting SF, that's some good assets.

Leave a comment:

• Apollo
    replied
    I don't think Ed Davis will be with that team much longer. I don't see him as a core guy. Casey praised a lot of the young guys last summer but he left Ed out. I marked it then as odd. Then the season came, Ed just didn't seem to fit and he struggled to get consistent minutes. He just doesn't seem to fit and I see Amir staying and Ed going if it's just one of them on the way out.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Prime wrote: View Post
    You can't infer what his plan is from a single draft pick.

That being said, this pick is contrary to his draft history in Phoenix. Remember, Marion and Amar'e were definitely 'upside picks'.
    Well, we've got the Nash rumours that no one is denying. Bargs isn't going anywhere. And they've talked about shooters on the wing since the end of the season and just drafted one. Doesn't seem very complicated from where I sit. Again, I confess to having no clue what Colangelo is doing (I haven't since 2006) but it doesn't strike me as absurd speculation.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Single pick? he's picked DeRozan, Ed, Jonas, and Ross...
    4 players that are part of this core right now

Leave a comment:

• Prime
    replied
    You can't infer what his plan is from a single draft pick.

That being said, this pick is contrary to his draft history in Phoenix. Remember, Marion and Amar'e were definitely 'upside picks'.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    From my totally unknowledgeable vantage point (I have no idea who Terrence Ross and hadn't heard of him until last night), it appears to be that this was a "safe" pick for Colangelo. A guy who can likely come in and contribute sooner rather than later. When your goals are to make the playoffs and keep your job, taking the safe guy makes far more sense than rolling the dice on a guy like Drummond who may need 3-4 years. BC already took a small gamble on JV last year.

BC's plan looks a little clearer now: he's going back toward his Phoenix formula that he tried to emulate here from 06-08. Nash, an offensive big in the pick and roll, surrounded by shooters. The x-factor, presumably, will be Casey's defensive strategy/tactics. It's a long way from completion but at least there appears to be some sort of plan, unlike the last 4 years....

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...terrence-ross/

• You do not get your first choice if you have the eighth pick. The Raptors likely would have scooped up either Syracuse shooting guard Dion Waiters, Weber State point guard Damian Lillard or Barnes. They went fourth, sixth and seventh overall, respectively. There were discussions about trading up, but that dance requires two parties. On Tuesday, here is what Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said about moving up: “Teams that put those picks in play create a bit of a bidding war. You don’t necessarily want to get caught up in that because you don’t want to give up too much to get just a little. And maybe moving up gets you a little.”

• Connecticut guard Jeremy Lamb was a favourite of the Raptors for the early part of the draft process, with some in the organization in love with his pure talent. He was just not tough enough for the Raptors, though, and it had nothing to do with him spraining his ankle in his lone workout in Toronto. Ultimately, the Raptors decided that when defenders were physical with Lamb, he disappeared in games.

• If you read between the lines, the eighth pick came down to picking between Ross and Duke guard Austin Rivers, son of Doc. Here is Casey on Rivers: “He’s a point guard. He’s got to have the ball in his hands, where we felt like we still needed shooters. I think Austin’s going to be an excellent NBA player. But we needed shooters. [Ross] is a more accomplished shooter right now.”

• This is not a defence of the pick; it could very well end up being a disaster. It is possible that even if Ross has a nice career, Drummond, Lamb and Rivers (and Barnes, Lillard and Waiters) will have better ones. Ultimately, Colangelo said Ross was both his top overall talent and top fit available. Colangelo’s contract could expire at the end of next season — ownership could pick up a one-year option to keep him through 2013-14. Even though rookies cannot be fairly judged until three or four years into their careers, Colangelo is betting quite a bit that Ross was a solid pick.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X