Would you rather......?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you rather......?

Hopefully people had some time to think about the draft.

Personally, listening to Casey, I feel better about the pick. I've always been a big fan of Colangelo but I don't care what he says anymore - it is all bullsh!t. Part of the b.s. is his job, the other part is he is a salesman and he is selling the Raptors - as he should.

So in thinking about Ross and having JV coming in the fall (and pretending he is a 2012 draft pick) and then looking at NOH, I got to thinking:

Would you rather have Anthony Davis and Austin Rivers OR Jonas and Ross?

***Remember JV is a 2012 pick wink - work with me***
    AD/Rivers
    41.18%
    JV/Ross
    58.82%

Call me crazy but personally, I feel better about JV and Ross.

I feel about equal with AD and JV.

I feel better about Ross than Rivers after thinking a bit.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Call me crazy but personally, I feel better about JV and Ross.

I feel about equal with AD and JV.

I feel better about Ross than Rivers after thinking a bit.
      Actually I feel better about JV than AD. JV is probably going to be a better post player, is already stronger than AD, and is a good foul shooter, something fantastic for a big man. Concerning Ross and Rivers, I'd much rather have Ross. The hype with Rivers has to do entirely with his ego, something I personally don't like. Plus Ross is an athletic defender and a decent shooter, something we need. Does this make me crazy as well?

Comment

Davis and Rivers. Valanciunas is going to be a great player, as will Davis, but Rivers, I feel is going to be one helluva player/borderline star. That's my my gut feeling. His cockiness, swagger, wanting to take the last shot and be clutch, been properly coached makes the Davis/ Rivers combo have the edge over Valanciunas and Ross.

Comment

I keep forgetting we already have a would have been 2nd overall pick coming in.

3 rookies: Jonas, Ross and Acy. I feel alright.

I think Rivers will be special as well. For that reason, I'm picking Anthony Davis & Austin Rivers > Jonas Valanciunas & Terrence Ross.
          “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

stefan5301 wrote: View Post
            Actually I feel better about JV than AD. JV is probably going to be a better post player, is already stronger than AD, and is a good foul shooter, something fantastic for a big man. Concerning Ross and Rivers, I'd much rather have Ross. The hype with Rivers has to do entirely with his ego, something I personally don't like. Plus Ross is an athletic defender and a decent shooter, something we need. Does this make me crazy as well?
            Agreed. I didn't really buy into the whole Rivers thing. To be honest, I actually thought that Rivers only said that he liked to be in Toronto and to be with the Raptors so he could be drafted earlier...

Comment

I think Valanciunas/Ross is the safer combo.

Personally, I've never been sold on the Davis hype. Both he and Rivers have the potential to either disappoint (not busts, but just not worthy of their draft slots), or become all-stars. I feel they are both the higher risk/reward picks.

I think it partly comes down to their roles and expectations as well. Valanciunas strikes me as the more traditional C offensively, with a strong post-up game; both JV/AD should become solid defensive anchors. Ross should be a solid #3 scoring option and decent perimiter defender. Rivers doesn't strike me as a very good defender and offensively he could become Monta Ellis or Jerryd Bayless.

Gun to my head, I think I'd go with Valanciunas & Ross. Too much risk with both Davis & Rivers (I could live with one high risk/reward, but not both).
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 29, 2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

AD>Jonas

Ross>Rivers

Comment

I agree with the points for both groups, but I think JV is more polished than AD on the offensive end. JV's been playing against "men" and has a crap load of experience so the transition to the NBA should be a bit smoother, IMO. BUT in saying that, I have no doubt that AD will get his share of points. If AD can get a bit bulkier and add some muscle, he'll be a monster. Right now, I'm thinking Marcus Camby body type. As for Rivers versus Ross... hype versus unknown... I'm torn. I have a feeling Rivers might turn out to be like an Arenas type player. Not really a point guard, but not really a shooting guard either. He'll get his points. As for Ross... Well, he does have the T. R. initials going on and I want to give this guy a chance. I haven't seen this guy play other than clips on youtube, but he seems like the real deal. I hope his game translates to the NBA nicely.

JV+TR > AD+AR

(We also have Quincy too LOL)
                  #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

RPT23 wrote: View Post
                    I agree with the points for both groups, but I think JV is more polished than AD on the offensive end. JV's been playing against "men" and has a crap load of experience so the transition to the NBA should be a bit smoother
                    This is almost never true. With the exception of Rubio I actually can't think of a single young European to just show up to the NBA and kick ass on day 1 because they've been playing with men all their lives (men who couldn't make it in the NBA mind you).

I've seen lots of NCAA kids come in and be close to all-star caliber right away.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                      This is almost never true. With the exception of Rubio I actually can't think of a single young European to just show up to the NBA and kick ass on day 1 because they've been playing with men all their lives (men who couldn't make it in the NBA mind you).

I've seen lots of NCAA kids come in and be close to all-star caliber right away.
                      I never said that JV will kick ass right away, but with the experience he's been getting at a young age, should translate smoother to the NBA's hard knock, fast paced game. With the exposure the NBA's been getting worldwide, kids all over the world have idols they can look up to and "possibly" emulate (mind you I'm not thrilled with him seeing himself compared to CB4). Granted, I know there are a lot of NCAA players EVEN high school players to come in and make an impact right away. But in this thread, I believe that JV will make a greater impact than AD based on his experience alone. Whether I'm right or wrong, we'll just have to see, and may luck come my way for once.
                      #Raptor4Life, #Prepping4thePlayoffs

Comment

JV and TRoss definitely. Can't vote from my phone but there is my choice!

I have been saying for a couple of months that I wanted TRoss out of this draft an very happy with this pick. I actually prefer Ross to Barnes and hugely prefer over Rivers.

Comment

davis should end up being the best player of them all and always go bpa

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post

Generally not playing the center position. There's a reason for the rule of thumb about it taking longer for centers to develop their potential. Part of it is that they are not playing against fully grown opponents, where size and strength are critical to success. A center typically isn't fully developed physically until they hit 24-25. JV HAS been playing against those guys for at least the last 3 years. NCAA players are still playing against kids.

Comment

Ross/JV.

I dont understand the anthony davis hype. Sure he was a guard and grew to play C but that guy is so skinny and doesn't really have an offensive game. Hasheem thabeet? Ill wait until summer league to change my judgements about him but I can't see him as the next KG

Comment

Working...
                              X