Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoenix Suns rebuilding begins with PG Marshall, likely putting end to Nash era

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Phoenix Suns rebuilding begins with PG Marshall, likely putting end to Nash era

    Their two-time Most Valuable Player made it clear as last season wound down that he would have to see a roster upgrade to consider returning to Phoenix.

    An upgrade at backup point guard probably isn't what Nash had in mind after two consecutive years of watching the playoffs.

    He wants weapons around him, like he once had before the slow, painful attrition that has led to the departures of All-Stars such as Joe Johnson, Shawn Marion and Amar'e Stoudemire.

    When Boris Diaw became available just in time for a playoff run, Nash reportedly wanted the Suns to aggressively pursue him. It was the San Antonio Spurs who got him.

    And Nash has said he wants to play three more seasons. It doesn't appear likely that he'll get that from the Suns, either....


    Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...#ixzz1zB8JT4RI

  • #2
    Nash feels a disturbance in the force...



    he seems to be coming to the dino dark side...
    Last edited by Jaworski; Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 07:20 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      I highly doubt Phoenix was expecting him to return so that must have wayed in on the decision. Even if he does, its not like a rookie was going to have a big impact on that team anyways. Plus having one of the best pass first PGs the NCAA has ever seen stepping in and playing behind Nash, and the short career he has left, wouldn't be a bad thing.

      While I like Nash, I really like that Phoenix isn't allowing Nash's desires to dictate their decisions. Nash isn't going to be around forever, and the best interest of the team should always be paramount to the best interest of a player... even someone as respectable as Nash.

      Comment


      • #4
        Valanciunas dunks on Kirilenko

        Comment


        • #5
          correct me if im wrong but doesnt the Suns still own the rights to aaron brooks aswell???

          Comment


          • #6
            DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
            correct me if im wrong but doesnt the Suns still own the rights to aaron brooks aswell???
            Yes. I noticed on ESPN last night that Phoenix had tendered him a qualifying offer, making him a restricted free agent.

            Comment


            • #7
              CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              Yes. I noticed on ESPN last night that Phoenix had tendered him a qualifying offer, making him a restricted free agent.
              thought so... i guess there covered now if & when Nash walks.. assuming of course Brooks even suits up for them again..

              Comment


              • #8
                Suns are likely at the bottom of the rebuilding pool.

                If Deron williams walks from NETS they may crawl under neath them.
                "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Craiger wrote: View Post
                  I highly doubt Phoenix was expecting him to return so that must have wayed in on the decision. Even if he does, its not like a rookie was going to have a big impact on that team anyways. Plus having one of the best pass first PGs the NCAA has ever seen stepping in and playing behind Nash, and the short career he has left, wouldn't be a bad thing.

                  While I like Nash, I really like that Phoenix isn't allowing Nash's desires to dictate their decisions. Nash isn't going to be around forever, and the best interest of the team should always be paramount to the best interest of a player... even someone as respectable as Nash.
                  According to a Phoenix newspaper Ross was their guy at 13 until the Raptors took him and that forced them to re-evaluate.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jaworski wrote: View Post
                    you know who we don't need as our starting SF, Kirilenko. Not after that facial.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If Nash does decide on Toronto, I'm starting to think that Phoenix may actually prefer trading for Calderon, instead of Bayless. Calderon is a calm, veteran floor general, who plays the same style of game that Marshall does. It makes sense for Marshall to mentor behind Calderon for a season, after which Phoenix could conceivably re-sign Calderon to a much smaller contract to become Marshall's veteran backup.

                      If that were to become the case, it would allow Toronto to make a salary-neutral trade, leaving their maximum amount of cap space (up to ~$12M) in tact for other deals to be made. If Nash were to sign 3r/$30M, trading Calderon for Nash would actually save Toronto $0.5M next season.
                      Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 05:26 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        If Nash does decide on Toronto, I'm starting to think that Phoenix may actually prefer trading for Calderon, instead of Bayless. Calderon is a calm, veteran floor general, who plays the same style of game that Marshall does. It makes sense for Marshall to mentor behind Calderon for a season, after which Phoenix could conceivably re-sign Calderon to a much smaller contract to become Marshall's veteran backup.

                        If that were to become the case, it would allow Toronto to make a salary-neutral trade, leaving their maximum amount of cap space (up to ~$12M) in tact for other deals to be made.
                        id think thed be all over it, they never wanted to sign nash for a multi year deal, it was never about the amount for them..Calderon would be off there books after next season & fills a big need for them going forward next season without nash. unless theyre planning on wooing aaron brooks back to the desert i doubt they think marshall will be starting

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I kind of hope Nash doesn't sign with Toronto, only because I'd like to see him go to a serious contender. I'd love to see him play in Canada in theory, but even more I'd like to at least see him play in an NBA finals.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            oldmanweldon wrote: View Post
                            I kind of hope Nash doesn't sign with Toronto, only because I'd like to see him go to a serious contender. I'd love to see him play in Canada in theory, but even more I'd like to at least see him play in an NBA finals.
                            Be realistic. Unless he goes to OKC or Miami, he is not playing in the NBA finals before he retires. He'd have to give up $25 million to go to Miami, and he'd be the 4th wheel. He's stated that money is important, and that he couldn't even bring himself to put on a Lakers jersey, so I don't think his feelings towards Miami are any different.
                            If he goes to the Knicks he will lose all the money, plus he will be on a team with no shot of a championship. Raptors with Nash can contend with NY as currently constructed.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Primer wrote: View Post
                              He's stated that money is important, and that he couldn't even bring himself to put on a Lakers jersey, so I don't think his feelings towards Miami are any different.
                              Well, he just made Hundreds of millions of dollars, so he might be willing to just take whatever Miami has to offer him. And if he said that about the Lakers, I imagine it's because he's played them so much he has some animosity towards them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X