X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Plus, I'm hearing on ESPN Twitter feeds that the 3 1st round picks going to Orlando are "heavily protected"! I'm at a loss...
    I just heard this as well! My goodness gracious! Someone enlighten me on this.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I believe the things they really wanted were the three first round picks, and Harkless. Not to mention they already have a solid young prospect in Andrew Nicholson who really dominated Summer League.

They've just gotten young, and young very quickly. With guys not so much skilled, more so raw, but with good potential. Harkless is within the Derozan mold when drafted.

Rebuilding starts now.

Orlando:

PG: Nelson
    SG: Afflalo
    SF: Harkless
    PF: Anderson
    C: Nicholson

I would see that Orlando tries to unload Turkoglu as well.

From Houston, they could have unloaded Turkoglu and received guys like Lamb, White and Montiejunas (instead of Harkless), as well as multiple 1st round picks.

Plus, I'm hearing on ESPN Twitter feeds that the 3 1st round picks going to Orlando are "heavily protected"! I'm at a loss...

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    If you look at what Houston could have offered (picks, young talent, willingness to take on more bad contracts than they sent out) it is peculiar. But then again, it is easy for me as an arm-chair GM to pick a part the trade. One would have to think Orlando and Hennigan have a plan that is better achieved through this trade than one with Houston.
    I agree completely. Houston had allegedly been offering some/all of their 3 1st round picks from this year's draft, as well as expiring contracts (to take bad long-term contracts off Orlando's hands). They also could have given up multiple 1st round picks, both their own pick(s) and Toronto's conditional 1st round pick from the Lowry trade.

Harrington is overpaid and committed for multiple years - 2nd and 3rd years are 50% guaranteed, which would be a big $$$ payout. Afflalo is decent enough but also overpaid and signed long-term. I'd much clear cap space immediately and/or after next season (ie: expiring contracts from Houston), which would also likely result in even better tanking over the next few years.

I really don't get this trade from Orlando's perspective, unless the Houston rumors were 99% wrong. I can't find any way to spin this trade that puts Orlando in a better place this year, next year or long-term, than a potential deal with Houston could have.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    If you look at what Houston could have offered (picks, young talent, willingness to take on more bad contracts than they sent out) it is peculiar. But then again, it is easy for me as an arm-chair GM to pick a part the trade. One would have to think Orlando and Hennigan have a plan that is better achieved through this trade than one with Houston.
    I believe the things they really wanted were the three first round picks, and Harkless. Not to mention they already have a solid young prospect in Andrew Nicholson who really dominated Summer League.

They've just gotten young, and young very quickly. With guys not so much skilled, more so raw, but with good potential. Harkless is within the Derozan mold when drafted.

Rebuilding starts now.

Orlando:

PG: Nelson
    SG: Afflalo
    SF: Harkless
    PF: Anderson
    C: Nicholson

I would see that Orlando tries to unload Turkoglu as well.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Well, I said they are winners because they are going into a rebuild mode. They've made a faster rebuild than by letting him walk for nothing, allowing them to take in picks, and potential players. Harkless is unproven, but so is the other 59 picks in the draft. Afflalo is said to have greater potential, and Vucevic is a solid big man who contributed to an up-and-down Philly team. They're in a better situation now, than letting Dwight walk for nothing. i.e Toronto, Cleveland, Phoenix.

But If I were to choose basically from what they received and given out, Denver are the winners. Like you stated, Iguodala is an elite wing, replacing a solid wing. Harrington's contract, and flexibility for the future.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    I don't agree at all. I think Orlando is getting fleeced. Harrington & Afflalo & Harkless & 3 future 1st round picks for Howard??? Harrington & Afflalo are good but big time overpaid for the next 3 (Harrignton) / 4 (Afflalo) years. Harkless is unproven and the future picks are rumored to be in 2014, 2015 and 2017. Yes, they unloaded the bad Richardson & Duhon contracts, but they brought back 2 new bad ones, instead of clearing salary to gain significant cap flexibility.

I personally think Denver won this trade, considering that their 2014 1st round pick will likely be somewhere in the 20's range. They replaced Afflalo with Iggy and dumped Harrington's contract, who became expendable with the development of Faried and acquisition of Randolph.
    Well, I said they are winners because they are going into a rebuild mode. They've made a faster rebuild than by letting him walk for nothing, allowing them to take in picks, and potential players. Harkless is unproven, but so is the other 59 picks in the draft. Afflalo is said to have greater potential, and Vucevic is a solid big man who contributed to an up-and-down Philly team. They're in a better situation now, than letting Dwight walk for nothing. i.e Toronto, Cleveland, Phoenix.

But If I were to choose basically from what they received and given out, Denver are the winners. Like you stated, Iguodala is an elite wing, replacing a solid wing. Harrington's contract, and flexibility for the future.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    I don't agree at all. I think Orlando is getting fleeced. Harrington & Afflalo & Harkless & 3 future 1st round picks for Howard??? Harrington & Afflalo are good but big time overpaid for the next 3 (Harrignton) / 4 (Afflalo) years. Harkless is unproven and the future picks are rumored to be in 2014, 2015 and 2017. Yes, they unloaded the bad Richardson & Duhon contracts, but they brought back 2 new bad ones, instead of clearing salary to gain significant cap flexibility.

I personally think Denver won this trade, considering that their 2014 1st round pick will likely be somewhere in the 20's range. They replaced Afflalo with Iggy and dumped Harrington's contract, who became expendable with the development of Faried and acquisition of Randolph.

I have to agree on both bolds.

Here is an interesting tweet(s):

Adrian Wojnarowski Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

HOU offered ORL $12M in space (instead of Afflalo), recent 1st picks, future lottery and unprotected picks. Would've taken bad deals (cont.)

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

(cont.) and no need to take on Harrington contract.

ORL must be really high on Harkless.... that is the only thing I can assume. Afflalo is good but overpaid. Harrington is not guaranteed after this season but still counts as $3.somethingM cap hit next 2 years. This makes no sense.... plus they could have stuck it to D12.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    That would fair pretty solid for every team, taking back large amounts either way, but along an all-star player. The one or two concerns I look at, is.. Does this team improve drastically when they had Iguodala, compared to having Bynum now? And how about the guarantees of Bynum wanting to stay long-term?

Philly:

Holiday
    Turner
    Young
    Hawes
    Bynum

Rather young team I may say. As much as Bynum arguably is the best centre in the league, they are surely going to miss the all-around contributions of Iggy.

Orlando would be the winners IMO. A ton of draft picks, along with using either keeping Gasol to wait for the expiring contract, or use as an asset in a trade for a contender. Since Orlando is going to rebuild, this trade really puts them in their goal much faster.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Denver is now looking like this on the wings (not sure of the positioning George Karl has in mind ):

SG: AI, Hamilton, Fournier
    SF: Gallo, Chandler, Brewer, Miller

I'm not sure they would be looking for a trade.

They AI, Gallo, and Chandler as the main wing rotation with Chandler and AI capable at 2-guard. Hamilton, Fournier, Brewer, and Miller can fight for scraps as Brewer is an expiring contract, Fournier is on a 4 year rookie deal, Hamilton has 3 years left on his rookie deal, and Miller.... is he even signed yet?

Where Denver is thin is at PF. C is more than covered with McGee, Mosgov, and Koufos. Faried is the starter at PF. They signed Randolph who is still a major question mark. That is it for PF.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Aug 10, 2012, 06:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Philly is still going to suck. They have no consistent outside threats and their bench is below average
    They have Nick Young, who is off the bench most likely, and can shoot from the outside. Other than that, they don't have any scorers which this team will need badly.

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Philly is still going to suck. They have no consistent outside threats and their bench is below average

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    Based on that rumor, Orlando would need to send out more salary than just Howard, to make the deal work. It would work in ESPN's Trade Machine if Turk's contract was added to the bunch of players going to LA...

LA - Howard, Harrington, Turk?
    ORL - Gasol, Afflalo + a bunch of picks?
    DEN - Iggy
    PHI - Bynum

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=9mq4ccs
    That would fair pretty solid for every team, taking back large amounts either way, but along an all-star player. The one or two concerns I look at, is.. Does this team improve drastically when they had Iguodala, compared to having Bynum now? And how about the guarantees of Bynum wanting to stay long-term?

Philly:

Holiday
    Turner
    Young
    Hawes
    Bynum

Rather young team I may say. As much as Bynum arguably is the best centre in the league, they are surely going to miss the all-around contributions of Iggy.

Orlando would be the winners IMO. A ton of draft picks, along with using either keeping Gasol to wait for the expiring contract, or use as an asset in a trade for a contender. Since Orlando is going to rebuild, this trade really puts them in their goal much faster.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Based on that rumor, Orlando would need to send out more salary than just Howard, to make the deal work. It would work in ESPN's Trade Machine if Turk's contract was added to the bunch of players going to LA...

DEN - Iggy
    PHI - Bynum

Jason Richardson is supposedly going to Denver or LA in the rumours of the proposed deal.

Turk's contract is brutal but the final year is not guaranteed. He re-worked it to get out of Toronto in the Barbosa deal. Orlando might just keep him. He would certainly help add to the lottery balls - hhaha.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Didn't realize Harrington was going to LA. I thought he was going to ORL. Harrington in LA would be a good fit with Howard..... but he is still a bad contract!

DEN - Iggy
    PHI - Bynum

Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu Aug 9, 2012, 05:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    When I first heard that it would be Afflalo & Harrington for Iggy, I assumed they'd have to include more 'filler'... it wasn't until I tried the rumored trade in ESPN's Trade Machine that I realized just how much both Nuggets players were being paid! I think they're both overpaid, so it's a great deal for Denver to unload them (especially given how long they are signed for too) for Iggy. Denver is a good, young, deep team, that needed that one proven veteran star player. As you mentioned, they also have a bunch of draft picks to include, without completely mortgaging their future.

Uriji has done a fantastic job as their GM, IMO, just based on this trade, the 'Melo trade, the Nene trade and the other minor moves he's made.
    Didn't realize Harrington was going to LA. I thought he was going to ORL. Harrington in LA would be a good fit with Howard..... but he is still a bad contract!

The deal, as reported by Wojnarowski, would have the Lakers not only giving up Andrew Bynum but also Pau Gasol as well as bringing back forward Al Harrington along with Howard. The Sixers would gain Bynum in exchange for Andre Iguodala, who would go to Denver. The Nuggets would send Arron Afflalo to Orlando (along with Harrington to the Lakers). The Magic would also take on Gasol’s contract along with draft picks and salary cap relief.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X