Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptor Free Agency Rumours: How does it all work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torch19
    replied
    You did say that Houston needs to get rid of $10 M in salary. Maybe Lowry? They have a big enough crop of players to choose from.

Leave a comment:

• LateBoomer
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Another waste of time.
    blame it on Nash. LOL

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    **Double Post Alert: sorry about that. I made this in Nash thread**

Something else to consider:

If Asik deal is correct and it is $8.3M per year cap hit per year;
    If Lin rumours are true and $10M per year cap hit;

Rockets need to dump about $9M in salary to make the offer if my math is correct.

Toronto can certainly help clear a good chunk of it.

A sign and trade for Nash could also turn in to a 3 team affair with PHX-HOU-TOR.

So putting this in the context of Ilyasova. Essentially, what I laid out earlier is still plausible. The only exception would be Toronto takes on nearly $10M of salary from Houston ($7.6M of salary of Ilysova + $3.2M of salary cap space) from Houston leaving them with enough salary cap space to make their offer to Lin.

So from the top of the original post:

So how do the Raptors make it all work?

The magic number in all of this is $51.744M. The Raptors cannot have more than $51.744M in committed salary and cap holds before making the offer to Fields.

1) Sign and trade for Nash. Either send Calderon and/or Forbes out in a sign and trade or amnesty Jose or send Forbes (or send Forbes out in #2 if Suns don't want him meaning the Suns get just a TPE). That is $12M out and $12M in if the high reports are true. There has been rumblings the offer is less than $36M but lets go with the higher number to be safe. *EDIT: include Bayless here as part of S&T or make it a 3 team deal with Bayless going to PHX*

2) Sign and trade for Ilyasova. The Turk is reportedly looking for a deal in the $8M range. Well, Raps have a $7.6M TPE. Would the $400k difference kill any deal? Going to Milwaukee would be one of Ed Davis or Amir Johnson, James Johnson, and possibly Forbes if he wasn't sent out in #1. *EDIT: Forget Ilyasova. The $7.6M TPE just became Rocket salary to help them land Lin. ED/JJ/GF either sent to another team for nothing but future 2nd round, top 55-protected draft picks or sent to PHX in S&T*

Lets be conservative and just say that Calderon, Ed Davis, James Johnson, and Gary Forbes are gone when the smoke clears; Nash is signed at $12M; and Ilyasova is signed at $7.6M.

From our Magic number of $51.744, the Raps have this (all salary numbers from ShamSports.com):

Nash: $12M
    Bargnani: $10M
    Houston players: $7.6M
    Amir: $6.05M
    Kleiza: $4.6M
    DD: $3.344M
    JV: $2.812M
    Ross: $2.136M

This gives 8 players at $48.542M leaving $3.2M in cap space. If Nash signs for less than $12M, whatever the difference is added to $3.2M giving remaining cap space below magic number of $51.744M.

3) Sign Bayless to a contract with the remaining cap space. *EDIT: Bayless cap space might have absorbed Houston Rocket salary to help them make an offer for Lin and Asik or he was sent to PHX in S&T*

4) Sign Fields to offer sheet of 3 years, $19M with an average cap hit of $6.3M per season taking the Raptors right up to the salary ca of $58.044M.

5) Raps will have a room exception of $2.5M. Re-sign Gray or another C?

6) Round out roster with minimum contracts: Magloire, Andersen, Acy, Uzoh?

Final Roster:

PG: Nash, ?, Uzoh
    SG: DD, Ross, Andersen
    SF: Fields, ?, Kleiza
    PF: Bargnani, Amir, Acy
    C: JV, ?, Magloire
    Another waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    **Double Post Alert: sorry about that. I made this in Nash thread**

Something else to consider:

If Asik deal is correct and it is $8.3M per year cap hit per year;
    If Lin rumours are true and $10M per year cap hit;

Rockets need to dump about $9M in salary to make the offer if my math is correct.

Daryl Morey ‏@dmorey

RedNation please help me welcome @JLin7 back 2Houston today! Fitting on July4 as America is land of 2nd chances- #lin2houston in your reply

Toronto can certainly help clear a good chunk of it.

A sign and trade for Nash could also turn in to a 3 team affair with PHX-HOU-TOR.

So putting this in the context of Ilyasova. Essentially, what I laid out earlier is still plausible. The only exception would be Toronto takes on nearly $10M of salary from Houston ($7.6M of salary of Ilysova + $3.2M of salary cap space) from Houston leaving them with enough salary cap space to make their offer to Lin.

So from the top of the original post:

So how do the Raptors make it all work?

The magic number in all of this is $51.744M. The Raptors cannot have more than $51.744M in committed salary and cap holds before making the offer to Fields.

1) Sign and trade for Nash. Either send Calderon and/or Forbes out in a sign and trade or amnesty Jose or send Forbes (or send Forbes out in #2 if Suns don't want him meaning the Suns get just a TPE). That is $12M out and $12M in if the high reports are true. There has been rumblings the offer is less than $36M but lets go with the higher number to be safe. *EDIT: include Bayless here as part of S&T or make it a 3 team deal with Bayless going to PHX*

2) Sign and trade for Ilyasova. The Turk is reportedly looking for a deal in the $8M range. Well, Raps have a $7.6M TPE. Would the $400k difference kill any deal? Going to Milwaukee would be one of Ed Davis or Amir Johnson, James Johnson, and possibly Forbes if he wasn't sent out in #1. *EDIT: Forget Ilyasova. The $7.6M TPE just became Rocket salary to help them land Lin. ED/JJ/GF either sent to another team for nothing but future 2nd round, top 55-protected draft picks or sent to PHX in S&T*

Lets be conservative and just say that Calderon, Ed Davis, James Johnson, and Gary Forbes are gone when the smoke clears; Nash is signed at $12M; and Ilyasova is signed at $7.6M.

From our Magic number of $51.744, the Raps have this (all salary numbers from ShamSports.com):

Nash: $12M
    Bargnani: $10M
    Houston players: $7.6M
    Amir: $6.05M
    Kleiza: $4.6M
    DD: $3.344M
    JV: $2.812M
    Ross: $2.136M

This gives 8 players at $48.542M leaving $3.2M in cap space. If Nash signs for less than $12M, whatever the difference is added to $3.2M giving remaining cap space below magic number of $51.744M.

3) Sign Bayless to a contract with the remaining cap space. *EDIT: Bayless cap space might have absorbed Houston Rocket salary to help them make an offer for Lin and Asik or he was sent to PHX in S&T*

4) Sign Fields to offer sheet of 3 years, $19M with an average cap hit of $6.3M per season taking the Raptors right up to the salary ca of $58.044M.

5) Raps will have a room exception of $2.5M. Re-sign Gray or another C?

6) Round out roster with minimum contracts: Magloire, Andersen, Acy, Uzoh?

Final Roster:

PG: Nash, ?, Uzoh
    SG: DD, Ross, Andersen
    SF: Fields, ?, Kleiza
    PF: Bargnani, Amir, Acy
    C: JV, ?, Magloire

Leave a comment:

• draftedraptor
    replied
    ceez wrote: View Post
    Seems any time there's a euro FA the raps are making offers
    I would rather have Euros who want to play here than ungrateful b##&es (read BOSH)

Jonas and Rubio are better than NCAA talent anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Blacklash2k4
    replied
    Thank you for the compliment.

Unfortunately, it looks like I wasted an hour and a half this morning wrapping my head around the numbers.
    Well maybe it was wasted, but I'm pretty sure everyone here appreciate all the effort you went through to write up such an informative post

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
    Excellent write-up Matt. Thanks for crunching the numbers that none of us can seem to wrap our heads around. You're RR's version of Steve Fruitman
    Thank you for the compliment.

Unfortunately, it looks like I wasted an hour and a half this morning wrapping my head around the numbers.

Leave a comment:

• Phat Farmer
    replied
    Excellent write-up Matt. Thanks for crunching the numbers that none of us can seem to wrap our heads around. You're RR's version of Steve Fruitman

Leave a comment:

• Mindlessness
    replied
    DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
    well its looking more & more like Nash will go to the Knicks.. cant see what he likes about that roster. they're not making a run for the title any more then the Raps will be, ive already heard quite a few NY beat writers talking about how effective Nash will be as a spot up 3pt shooter,like Kidd did for the Mavs..LOL these guys have no clue...its a shame that Nash will be watching Melo dribble out 22sec of the shot clock everytime down the floor for the next 3 years.. if it happens. i hope he applies for his US citizenship while hes at it..
    You ARE kidding, Am I Right?

Leave a comment:

• DoNDaDDa
    replied
    well its looking more & more like Nash will go to the Knicks.. cant see what he likes about that roster. they're not making a run for the title any more then the Raps will be, ive already heard quite a few NY beat writers talking about how effective Nash will be as a spot up 3pt shooter,like Kidd did for the Mavs..LOL these guys have no clue...its a shame that Nash will be watching Melo dribble out 22sec of the shot clock everytime down the floor for the next 3 years.. if it happens. i hope he applies for his US citizenship while hes at it..

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Oh yeah.

It should also be noted that the salary cap figure for 2012-13 has not been released. Under new CBA it is guaranteed to be no less than $58.044M for 2011-12 and 2012-13 but I have read rumours that it might inch up to $60-61M.

I do not know how credible those rumours are but just throwing the possibility out there.

Leave a comment:

• charlesnba23
    replied
    Not unless Bayless is signing for $400K (impossible) or the Raptors renounce his rights making him UFA and then signs for a minimum contract or the $2.5M room exception. Then Gray is either on a minimum contract or whatever backup C is signed is on a minimum contract.
    Thanks, now let's pray

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
    Matt, would this final roster work?

Nash/Bayless/Uzoh
    DeRozan/Fields/Ross
    Ilyasova/Johnson/Kleiza
    Bargnani/Johnson/Acy
    Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire

That is the same team that you proposed in your original post but we keep JJ instead of having Alan Anderson. That means Calderon and Davis go to Phoenix and Gary Forbes go to Milwaukee. Is this possible?
    Not unless Bayless is signing for $400K (impossible) or the Raptors renounce his rights making him UFA and then signs for a minimum contract or the $2.5M room exception. Then Gray is either on a minimum contract or whatever backup C is signed is on a minimum contract.

Leave a comment:

• charlesnba23
    replied
    Matt, would this final roster work?

Nash/Bayless/Uzoh
    DeRozan/Fields/Ross
    Ilyasova/Johnson/Kleiza
    Bargnani/Johnson/Acy
    Valanciunas/Gray/Magloire

That is the same team that you proposed in your original post but we keep JJ instead of having Alan Anderson. That means Calderon and Davis go to Phoenix and Gary Forbes go to Milwaukee. Is this possible?

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    Seems any time there's a euro FA the raps are making offers

Leave a comment:

Working...
X