• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

say it with me

Jennings!Jennings!Jennings!Jennings!

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      this is exactly why we should be building through the draft and not putting all our eggs in one basket
      wouldnt only building through the draft be putting all our eggs in 1 basket aswell? if Nash doesnt come here its not BC's fault he did everything he could.. if BC doesnt have a back up plan then he is to blame for that.. i really wish if nash didnt want to come here he had come out & said so on day 1 of free agency... now IMO if he indeed does go to Knicks he used us for leverage, & im sure canadians wont forget that..

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
        Plan A: Nash

Plan B: Goran Dragic

Plan C: Jeremy Lin

Plan D: Jose Calderon

... You know if Nash bolt, they'll at least make an attempt to have the other FA PG's in for a chat.

edit: For the record, I don't think B or C are huge Jose upgrades, just younger and would be locked in for longer.

What do I think we'll do? Probably sign Dragic and keep Jose.

Honestly, it will not be so bad having Jose continuing to run the show, we just won't be that much better than we were last year (I am not sure Jose EVER lead us to an above 500 record as a starter..TJ was our starter for the 47 win season).

The main point is that if we can't get Nash, it's back to reality. We have to look for a PG that can be groomed to lead this team, and we have to look to improve slowly over time while seeing what JV can do.

The failure will be gigantically public and a tad embarrassing for us, but we'll just move on and be forced to maintain our mediocrity for a period of time.

Comment

G-locity wrote: View Post
          i say raps should pull the nash offer, tell him to go and F@#k himself and move on to whoever, if its lowry, dragic etc, SF that we really need and so on. BC has to have a back up plan if not then he can go and F@#k himself too!!!
          Can we put this post under http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...rive-You-Nuts? hehehe

This is actually what ive envisioned happening. Raptors lose out on Nash, fans start hating nash calling him a traitor, fans call for BC's head coz he didnt get the deal done, then back to square one.

Call me naive, and i may well be, but i really think, with JV and Ross, a full camp and hopefully a much improved Demar and Bargnani, i think they can contend for a playoff spot. Next season, let Calderon's contract expire, sign him for cheap and get aggressive in the FA market.

Comment

Alright, so this Nash thing is getting dicey, what does everyone think BC has set for a plan b? I'd assume something for lowry, but who knows.

Dragic?
            Roll with Calderon? - most likely imo

Interesting tidbit, george hill resigned with the pacers for 40 mil over 5 years. that's starter money. maybe Collison is on the block? Personally, id much rather have nash or lowry, obviously, but Collison is a nice player and was one of the most productive pacers in the playoffs. Just a thought.

Ideas?
            Sign the best young player available who will fit the system and them work a trade after the fact to fill in the gaps.

Comment

I wouldn't be expecting big returns from any Calderon trade midway through the season (using the Barbosa trade as a measuring stick).

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                As of now, a lot of people in Canada will turn his back on him when he does retire. And no one will really want to play for the Canadian team because how can you play and look up to someone who you don't respect?
                Nash is truly showing his true colors and it't not Red and White, it's Red White and Blue.
                I wasn't sure if you were serious or not, but I fear that you are.. Nash is playing basketball and doing business. I am POSITIVE that there will never be a young, talented Canadian that gets the call from Canadian Basketball and says, "I'd play for you guys, but Nash chose NY over Toronto so forget it."

The sky is not falling. I say we stick with Calderon as is the common sentiment and see what value his play + expiring contract hold on the market at the trade deadline. Who knows.. maybe missing out on Captain Canada will allow us to draft Kabongo and pick up the next Captain Canada. Back to reality.. We're not ready for win now mode.. It will only cripple us.

Nash is still the man.. If he continues to hold out on his decision maybe we'll be spared from being the team that overpays for Dragic or Lin.. However we'll still have Fields.

Comment

The atlantic division looking pretty strong now a dayz

Comment

I've said It before if the raps are at the end of the lottery or make the playoffs with 8th seed we should try to get CJ McCollum. He could end up being our PG of the future not to mention he made Austin Rivers look like a chump during march madness.

Comment

Alright, so this Nash thing is getting dicey, what does everyone think BC has set for a plan b? I'd assume something for lowry, but who knows.

Dragic?
                      Roll with Calderon? - most likely imo

Interesting tidbit, george hill resigned with the pacers for 40 mil over 5 years. that's starter money. maybe Collison is on the block? Personally, id much rather have nash or lowry, obviously, but Collison is a nice player and was one of the most productive pacers in the playoffs. Just a thought.

Ideas?

I think Plan B should be to continue to stack assets and wait for your next opportunity to make a splash in a trade or free agency. Signing Landry Fields with or without Nash was a good move in that it's adding talent to a team sorely lacking it. Although I understand the move and applaud BC for having grapefruit sized nuts, I personally never thought we should've been going after Nash in the first place.

I'm fine with Calderon & Bayless running the point, and agree with another poster that we can trade calderon at the deadline and give Bayless another mini-audition. If that fails, I would look to next year's draft for our pg replacement because unless there is a stud available at SF, we are almost definitely drafting a 1.

I know I will catch some grief for this suggestion, but what about signing OJ Mayo to be our 1 for the future? If I remember correctly he always had a preference to play the 1. I personally haven't watched him in many games to know what his court vision is like or whether he could handle that position effectively. At worst, he would be Derozan's replacement and I value Mayo more as a 2 than I do Derozan.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        I wouldn't be expecting big returns from any Calderon trade midway through the season (using the Barbosa trade as a measuring stick).
                        I wasn't referring to anyone in my post. I think the Raptors are fine at PG for this year. I wa thinking about guys like Ed, Amir, even DeMar and Andrea.

Comment

Plan B: Tank like we've never tanked before
                          Quite the contrary. Dragic, Lowry or Lin. Then still go hard after Iggy. Gay ain't goin' nowhere.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Phat Farmer wrote: View Post
                            I know I will catch some grief for this suggestion, but what about signing OJ Mayo to be our 1 for the future? If I remember correctly he always had a preference to play the 1. I personally haven't watched him in many games to know what his court vision is like or whether he could handle that position effectively. At worst, he would be Derozan's replacement and I value Mayo more as a 2 than I do Derozan.
                            I'm not sold on Mayo as a 1.. at all, but I'm a big advocate for adding talent to the team and then working it out. We'd have a huge glut at the 2 and this might pave the way for a Derozan trade, but if we picked up Mayo I'd be excited just to see some more talent on the floor. The kid is lights out, and that's what I want from a 2. Derozan to me is somewhat of a 3 in a 2s body. If he swung over to the 3 and was able to defend other 3s I would be thrilled, but I'm not sure he could.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              Ceez, let's be honest. There is no Plan B. I'm not even sure there was a Plan A beyond signing Nash. I think Nash figured that out, too.
                              There is a Plan B, it's just not very exciting. We don't need bigs. We wanted to upgrade at the point, and BC is going all out. If Nash doesn't sign, moving forward with Calderon and Bayless suits me fine (although not everybody will agree). Plan B was to upgrade at the 3, and unfortunately, there's not a lot of great options unless you trade for Gay or Iggy and the like. If I was the GM of the teams with a stud small forward, I wouldn't trade him. So we're left with scavenging other teams' rosters and sign a player (L. Fields) that hopefully will at least become an average player. Like I said, it's not very exciting, but its a plan.

Comment

Plan B is say we tried and then let the fans make excuses for losing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X