Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PG options

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PG options

    Even when It appeared as though Steve Nash was going to become a raptor, I felt like I wasn't sure if we were really making THAT big of an upgrade at the PG.

    Calderon had a career year with 10.5 pts/8.8 ast/3 reb a game in 33 min.

    Can we really say with confidence that Dragic or Lowry will be much better than that? Or is it just a matter of us wanting to see a change happen.

    I honestly do not believe that PG is the position that we need to be targeting for a change. I think with Bayless and Calderon we probably have one of the better one-two tandems in the NBA. Maybe we should sit tight and just fill in holes in our roster with role players, creating a team with solid depth.

    After the Landry Fields signing though, I am not even sure if we have any cap space left to significantly upgrade any other position.

    All that I am saying is that lets not make a move just for the sake of making one, unless it addresses a NEED that we have. Our current depth chart (in brackets players that can fill gaps for us):

    PG: Calderon/Bayless/(uzoh) <- Uzoh will be dirt cheap and be a good emergency PG.
    SG: Derozan/Ross/Forbes
    SF: Fields/Johnson/Kleiza
    C: Valancuinas/Amir/(Gray) <- I would like us to resign Aaron Gray.
    PF: Bargnani/Davis/Acy

    One thing I can say about our team is that it looks like we do have good depth, our second unit with: Bayless, Ross, Johnson, Gray, and Amir doesn't seem too bad off the bench to me. It all depends on if we have a healthy Andrea Bargnani, a Derozan that takes a solid step forward, and Valanciunas panning out the way we hope he will.

    I think our slow and steady growth strategy was working well, I liked the idea of having "flexibility" lol. But I honestly believe that we can still sneak into the east with the 7th or 8th seed with the above line up. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by SuperRaptor; Thu Jul 5th, 2012, 12:18 AM.
    "Defense wins championships."

  • #2
    Agreed. It's supposed to be a rebuild. Some cohesiveness would be nice too. Ross and Big Val added to last seasons lineup minus the injuries(hard to do I know) and we can be a solid team in the east. Nowhere near contention and not bad enough for a really good draft pick, but on the rise(and very young too!). I'm not a fan of the FA's that are left out there, so I'd rather stay status quo.
    The Double Champ is here!
    Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
    Raptors: Larry O'Brien

    Comment


    • #3
      im sure BC will do everything in his power to upgrade every position if possible..id be very shocked if big changes dont happen.. there are still good players in play.. i hope BC isnt drowning in a bottle of vodka right now.. that being said if only minor changes happen we can still be better then the Knicks LOL

      Comment


      • #4
        Is Calderon an option for a sign and trade.

        Now that New York lost on Nash and may lose on Lin, depending on offers from houston, would Calderon be an ideal fit in New York. I don't know the exact way a sign and trade would work, but could trade Calderon and filler for Landry fields. This would free up our cap space this summer and could give us more possibilities.

        Comment


        • #5
          it amazes me why ppl think jose calderon is a bad pg...he's in the prime of his career and ready to break out...if he's here next season, let's hope he shoots the damn ball more
          "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

          Comment


          • #6
            knickz wrote: View Post
            it amazes me why ppl think jose calderon is a bad pg...he's in the prime of his career and ready to break out...if he's here next season, let's hope he shoots the damn ball more
            I'd say he's hit his prime, probably not declining yet

            Comment


            • #7
              Lets just stick with Lowry

              Comment


              • #8
                dragic is out.. PHX just signed to 4yrs &34mill.. i guess Houston will have to land Lin or they'll mend fences with Lowry & move on with him..

                that leaves us with Jose
                Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Thu Jul 5th, 2012, 01:18 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  knickz wrote: View Post
                  it amazes me why ppl think jose calderon is a bad pg...he's in the prime of his career and ready to break out...if he's here next season, let's hope he shoots the damn ball more
                  Actually, I think his prime was when like 2 years ago. Right now, he's start to decline slowly in his career. His shooting isn't as good as it used to be. Although I have to say that I'm impressed that he has keep his assists and assist to turnover ratio so consistent despite all his injuries. If Calderon could score a lot more (around 10-13 PPG) while keeping his assists constant, I'll be happy to keep him. Hopefully he can also keep up the improvement on his defense with a training camp. If that is so, I say we keep Calderon!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    DoNDaDDa wrote: View Post
                    dragic is out.. PHX just signed to offer sheet of 4yrs &34mill.. i guess Houston will have to land Lin or they'll mend fences with Lowry & move on with him..

                    that leaves us with Jose
                    Lol we got fucked over

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Tesla wrote: View Post
                      Lol we got fucked over
                      i still think BC is doing his best but its def. looking like we got screwed in FA.. hope he has better luck on the trade front. the only way Houston gets Lin at this point is if there deal is loaded

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                        Even when It appeared as though Steve Nash was going to become a raptor, I felt like I wasn't sure if we were really making THAT big of an upgrade at the PG.

                        Calderon had a career year with 10.5 pts/8.8 ast/3 reb a game in 33 min.

                        Can we really say with confidence that Dragic or Lowry will be much better than that? Or is it just a matter of us wanting to see a change happen.

                        I honestly do not believe that PG is the position that we need to be targeting for a change. I think with Bayless and Calderon we probably have one of the better one-two tandems in the NBA. Maybe we should sit tight and just fill in holes in our roster with role players, creating a team with solid depth.

                        After the Landry Fields signing though, I am not even sure if we have any cap space left to significantly upgrade any other position.

                        All that I am saying is that lets not make a move just for the sake of making one, unless it addresses a NEED that we have. Our current depth chart (in brackets players that can fill gaps for us):

                        PG: Calderon/Bayless/(uzoh) <- Uzoh will be dirt cheap and be a good emergency PG.
                        SG: Derozan/Ross/Forbes
                        SF: Fields/Johnson/Kleiza
                        C: Valancuinas/Amir/(Gray) <- I would like us to resign Aaron Gray.
                        PF: Bargnani/Davis/Acy

                        One thing I can say about our team is that it looks like we do have good depth, our second unit with: Bayless, Ross, Johnson, Gray, and Amir doesn't seem too bad off the bench to me. It all depends on if we have a healthy Andrea Bargnani, a Derozan that takes a solid step forward, and Valanciunas panning out the way we hope he will.

                        I think our slow and steady growth strategy was working well, I liked the idea of having "flexibility" lol. But I honestly believe that we can still sneak into the east with the 7th or 8th seed with the above line up. What do you guys think?
                        You said it. +1

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i started to sour on nash once i realized calderon was prolly gunna get amnestied. But overall, in terms of PG play..nash and calderon are pretty similar. I just think that nash would have elevated all the youth on this team to another level, especially big val, amir and bargnani. I guess overall it's nice to see nash go to LA and prolly make a serious run for a ring. But what a story that would be if he came back to canada and took this team deep into the playoffs?

                          I'm not sold on lin, and if i had to choose between dragic and lowry, i'd go with lowry, because he's better defensively. I think calderon will prolly play out the contract and we have bayless behind him anyways. Lets see what we actually have with all these young assets. Colangelo is smart in a sense that his picks have high potential, whether they pan out as he expects is up for debate.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                            PG: Calderon/Bayless/(uzoh) <- Uzoh will be dirt cheap and be a good emergency PG.
                            SG: Derozan/Ross/Forbes
                            SF: Fields/Johnson/Kleiza
                            C: Valancuinas/Amir/(Gray) <- I would like us to resign Aaron Gray.
                            PF: Bargnani/Davis/Acy
                            This above projected roster will win about 35 games next year, at best (that's with no injuries).
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Stick with Calderon. He's as good a point as there is to work with our current group. I think we can still compete for 7th or 8th in the East. If not, the rebuild continues. Our greatest hope is that the players we already have continue to improve. We have a solid group of young players. Jonas has a chance to be a superstar. Bargs is on the cusp of becoming an all-star. Derozan and Ross are capable of being major contributors in the next few years. JJ and Amir can become solid role players by adding more consistency to their games.

                              Let's not sell the farm just because Nash fell apart. We will be a much better team this year with our new additions and a healthy Bargnani. Lets stay the course and slowly climb our way back into relevance. 8th and a first round exit sounds good to me. As long as we have a team that competes hard every night I'm fine with taking small steps.

                              Cudos to Colangelo for making a serious pitch to Nash. Unless Nash really wanted to finish his career on home soil it was a long shot.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X