Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does Colangelo make the Lowry trade work with all the other ASSETS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    So theoretically, the Raptors could do the following transactions in this order, after July 11th:
    1. S&T Bayless for a 2nd round pick
    2. Sign Fields
    3. Complete Lowry trade
    4. Re-sign Gray

PG: Lowry, Calderon
    SG: DeRozan, Ross
    SF: Fields, Kleiza, JJ
    PF: Bargnani, Davis, Amir
    C: Valanciunas, Gray

They are also free to sign Acy (and Uzoh and/or Magloire) to a minimum contract

--> in that scenario, would they still have the TPE, MLE, Room Exception at that point, or would they have lost the TPE/MLE?

At first I said no but I think now Yes!

I can't think right now. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Gotta run for a bit.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Thu Jul 5, 2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      The TPE and MLE are gone.

Room exception and minimum contracts remain.
      That's what I figured.

So the only way the Raps get everything, is if the Fields signing becomes a S&T deal, right?

Comment

**If anything here is wrong, correct me please**

Remember the magic number for the Fields offer is $51.744M. The committed salaries + cap holds is what makes up the magic number.

Raptors payroll from ShamSports:

$50.273M for 10 players with a roster looking like this:

PG: Lowry, Calderon
        SG: DD, Ross
        SF: JJ, LK
        PF: Bargnani, Amir, Davis
        C: JV

Cap holds from ShamSports.com that in my opinion matters:

Bayless - $7.605 (250% last year's salary) and $9.126 according to HoopsWorld.com
        Gray - $3M (120% of last year's salary)

*Alabi, Uzoh, Andersen, Magloire can all be signed for minimum contracts after renouncing their cap hold. In my opinion they are not worth anything more.

Exceptions:
        MLE - $5M
        Barbosa TPE - $7.6M

Again, the magic number in all of this is $51.744M. The Raptors cannot have more than $51.744M in committed salary and cap holds before making the offer to Fields. In terms of committed salary alone, according to ShamSports.com, the Raptors are good with $50.273M.

So how do the Raptors make it all work?

One way:
        Renounce Barbosa TPE, MLE, Bayless, and Gray.
        **This is the 'drop everyone and everything not on a contract' method**

A second way:
        Amnesty Jose, renounce Barbosa TPE & MLE, resign Bayless and Gray to contracts for less than $12.033M (however if they make $12M between them, I am pissed!).

A third way:
        Amnesty Jose, renounce Barbosa TPE & MLE, keep rights to Bayless and Gray, use the $12.033M in cap space to facilitate trades.

A fourth way:
        Trade Jose with assets coming back, renounce exceptions, and resign Bayless/Gray/whoever came in Jose trade to total salaries not exceeding $12.033M.

A fifth way:
        Trade or amnesty of other players. I have made the assumption only player under contract likely to be sent packing is Calderon.

The 'themasao Way':
        Sign Fields before trading for Lowry leaving Toronto with $5.7M in options for cap holds in their own free agents or exceptions (MLE only). Would not involve trading or amnestying Jose.

The 'themasao Way' plus an amesnty or trade:
        Sign Fields before trading for Lowry and amnestying or trading players as well. $5.7M + whatever salary sent out in trade/amnesty available to keep exceptions and own free agents.

Are there any other ways you see that I am missing?

Three final things to remember:

1) The only thing that seems constant is the Barbosa TPE and the MLE are going to have to be renounced.
        2) After signing Fields, the Raptors are going to have the $2.5M room exception to add a player.
        3) After signing Fields, the Raptors will be limited to minimum contracts along with #2.
        lol Matt, you are the most amazing/dedicated person on this forum. I appreciate this so much

Comment

At first I said no but I think now Yes!

I can't think right now. I'm sure you'll figure it out. Gotta run for a bit.
          Haha no worries, I am unsure as well. I'm not sure if any signing under the cap will cause a team to lose their MLE/TPE or not, since it would technically be the trade bringing them up to the cap level.

Even if they did lose both, the Raps would have a solid roster and lots of assets/flexibility to further change/improve their lineup.

Comment

Haha no worries, I am unsure as well. I'm not sure if any signing under the cap will cause a team to lose their MLE/TPE or not, since it would technically be the trade bringing them up to the cap level.

Even if they did lose both, the Raps would have a solid roster and lots of assets/flexibility to further change/improve their lineup.
            I was wrong the first time and the second time.

1. Renounce S&T Bayless - whatever, point is he is gone.
            2. Sign Fields taking payroll to $52.3M. Raps could keep MLE but have to renounce TPE and Gray.
            3. Trade for Lowry.
            4. Sign Gray for or in MLE (MLE can be divided numerous ways among players), room exception, or minimum contract.

After acquiring Fields and Lowry, Raps would have about $1.45M to sign a rookie like Acy or an undrafted player like, say, Scott Machado.

Comment

Just wait until July 10, when they announce the salary cap rumor has it being 62m.

Comment

Just wait until July 10, when they announce the salary cap rumor has it being 62m.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-ano...ion-salary-cap

Please read the article

Comment

mcsemcp73 wrote: View Post

Please read the article
                  That extra $4m could prove to be quite useful to a creative GM like BC.

Comment

mcsemcp73 wrote: View Post

Please read the article
                    It might go up. I've made reference to this as well - if not here then elsewhere.

Realize this was written on November 1st, 2011.

Comment

I was wrong the first time and the second time.

1. Renounce S&T Bayless - whatever, point is he is gone.
                      2. Sign Fields taking payroll to $52.3M. Raps could keep MLE but have to renounce TPE and Gray.
                      3. Trade for Lowry.
                      4. Sign Gray for or in MLE (MLE can be divided numerous ways among players), room exception, or minimum contract.

After acquiring Fields and Lowry, Raps would have about $1.45M to sign a rookie like Acy or an undrafted player like, say, Scott Machado.

Thanks Matt I appreciate the time this takes.

Why do you figure we can keep the MLE. I am assuming in your example we are signing Fields with Cap room.

And would not an agreement with Bayless be also possible ( he is not necessarily gone)

Comment

That extra $4m could prove to be quite useful to a creative GM like BC.
                        My first thought is that a small increse in the Cap number allows uds to keep Baylass's bird rights

Comment

Hey Matt, what about a deal like this... again, assuming Memphis is happy with Wroten as their backup PG.

Trade Machine link: http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=84a8j49

Philly would get backup PG and PF, with perhaps a draft pick or something else having to go to them as well, while unloading an expensive, expendable player.

Memphis would get DeRozan to replace Mayo and Iggy to replace Gay.

Toronto clears the logjam at PF and wing, while upgrading starting SF to Gay. I could see JJ also being included, going to either Philly or Memphis.
                          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 05:49 PM.

Comment

So Whats' next?

The Raptors currently have about 54 millions commited on 12 players (Including Fields and drafts picks).
                            They need 3 players to complete the roster: Third PG , Third Center and a wing player - ideally a starting caliber SF.

I dont think you make any trade, because it will involve giving up DeRozan and that 's not worth it, even for Gay or Igoudala who their teams are not willing to trade anyways!

The only thing that would make sense is to go after a solid proven veteran that can actually make a difference.
                            So Hopefully they will have about 5 or 6 millions left under the cap (to offer as a starting salary) to go after Kirilenko.
                            I think he could take on a 25-27 millions/ 3years deal

Lowry/Calderon/Possibly Uzho
                            DeRozan/Ross/Fields
                            Kirilenko/JJ/Kleiza
                            Bargniani/Davis/Acy
                            Valenciunas/Amir/Posibly Magloire

This team would definitely fight for a 8, 7 0r even 6 play off spot.

Going forward into next year with Calderon's contract expiring , they would still be 10 millions below the cap which would be enough to strenghten the team even more.

Comment

Working...
                            X