Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors in discussion with 76ers for Igoudala (Thorn denies rumor (#163)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blacklash2k4
    replied
    Should we move this to the trade thread in the "Let's NBA" sub-forum?

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    The Wright trade makes less and less sense to me know.. I thought GSW was looking at a salary dump, but then they took Jarret Jack from NO. Doesn't make much sense to me.

@ESPNSteinLine:
    Just going online: Philly trade for Dorell Wright is expanding to include Hornets, who have agreed to send Jarrett Jack to Warriors
    GSW needed a reliable backup PG behind Curry, given how injury prone he's been. My guess is that Jack was better and/or cheaper than any other backup PG option out there, or the available PGs weren't satisfied (yet) signing to be a backup (just like how several PG said "no" to Memphis before they signed Bayless).

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    The Wright trade makes less and less sense to me know.. I thought GSW was looking at a salary dump, but then they took Jarret Jack from NO. Doesn't make much sense to me.

@ESPNSteinLine:
    Just going online: Philly trade for Dorell Wright is expanding to include Hornets, who have agreed to send Jarrett Jack to Warriors

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    another former Raptor on the move, in an expanded Wright-to-Philly deal:

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    Warriors to get Jarrett Jack & Hornets only have to take back draft rights to Edin Bavcic (originally Philly-bound) to complete the trade
    My guess is NO is clearing cap space to match Gordon.

Leave a comment:

• DaveKim
    replied
    didn't realize that someone already beat me to the answer.

FRom hoopshype, there is some rumblings that NYK might consider matching fields. Highly doubtful given their salary commitments but it should be an interesting next couple of days, with Dwight situation settled, along with 2nd tier guys like E Gordon or Hibbert settled.

Leave a comment:

• DaveKim
    replied
    LBF wrote: View Post
    speaking of which. any further news on fields?
    I believe they put the offer sheet on the table. NY has 3 days to match as Fields is an RFA.

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    Calderon would be the most missed, since a new backup PG would need to be acquired. Ironically, he's the most expendable though, given his age and contract status.
    I disagree.

Calderon will be at least a good quality backup for the next few years and the Raptors will have an opportunity to tender him a fair-value extension.

DeRozan, although talented, has yet to establish himself as an average starter-quality player. Unless he improves his game significantly this year, it's unclear whether he is the safer or best bet when comparing him to Ross or to Fields.

I think the Raptors made a mistake by not interviewing Ed Davis before they drafted him. I don't see the high basketball IQ some see, quite the opposite actually. He's a reactive player who has yet to prove he can play well within a structured system. I like how he improved his ability to find space in the halfcourt offense last year but I also saw a player who was lost on defensive rotations all year. I am hoping his understanding of the defensive schemes will dramatically improve due to the increase of practice time but I would bet against it if it was a 50-50 bet.

I hope DeRozan and Davis will both prove me wrong.

Leave a comment:

• G-locity
    replied
    Give it a rest! its not happening! But keep dreaming though, its free!!

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
    just do not want it. still think ed and dd deserve a chance. agreed that we need jc for another year. otherwise we are a pg short. just after all this time do we not want to see what dd and ed can do given a full season? i know i do. it is worth the wait.
    I'd like to keep Davis and DeRozan. However, if I could turn Davis & JJ & Calderon into Iguodala, I'd do it in a heartbeat without thinking twice. Even if they demanded DeRozan be included, I might still consider it, though that would be a tough call...

We'd still have Amir at backup PF, plus Acy, so Davis is expendable.

Same goes for JJ at SF - we'd still have 5 wings even after trading JJ away, so he's definitely expendable. Not only does the trade make our starting wings better (Iggy & DeRozan), but by adding Iggy it pushes Fields to the bench (Fields, Ross and Kleiza), making our 2nd unit even stronger.

Yes I would hate to see Calderon go, but it's the smart move to make. There are plenty of backup PG available via trade or free agency.

I could see a 2nd unit of Amir, Kleiza, Fields, Ross and PG-TBD being very strong.

Leave a comment:

• bloodyhandedgod
    replied
    If a deal could be made around Calderon, Davis and JJ for Iguodala, I don't think there would be any "future mortgaging" going on at all (age during next season in brackets):

- either Amir (25) or Davis (23) will be the 3rd string PF, being pushed by Acy (22).

- JJ (25/26) is 5th on the wing depth chart, behind DeRozan (23), Fields (24), Ross (21/22) and Kleiza (27/28), with barely enough mintues for 4 players to get sufficient playing time / opportunity to develop, let alone 5.

- Calderon (31) will be a backup PG on a $10.6M expiring contract next season.

--> if these 3 players could be turned into Iguodala (28/29), I don't think the Raptors will even notice they're gone and they will still have a very talented young core of players in place for the long-term. Iggy will only turn 29 next season, so he should still have another 2-3 good years in him beyond the upcoming season.

--> trading Calderon & Davis & JJ would actually SAVE the Raptors about $0.9M next season, so it's not as though Iggy's contract would be an albatross.

--> Calderon would be the most missed, since a new backup PG would need to be acquired. Ironically, he's the most expendable though, given his age and contract status.

LINEUP AFTER IGGY TRADE
    C: Valanciunas (20), Gray (27/28)
    PF: Bargnani (27), Amir (25), Acy (22)
    SF: Iggy (28/29), Kleiza (27/28)
    SG: DeRozan (23), Fields (24), Ross (21/22)
    PG: Lowry (26/27), ???

That is a good, young lineup that clearly has the long-term future in mind. That is not a roster that is mortgaging its future (even if DeRozan happened to be involved in a trade for Iggy; though I'd prefer to get it done without giving up DeRozan).
    just do not want it. still think ed and dd deserve a chance. agreed that we need jc for another year. otherwise we are a pg short. just after all this time do we not want to see what dd and ed can do given a full season? i know i do. it is worth the wait.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    bloodyhandedgod wrote: View Post
    patience. damn.

i saw a lot of good out of this group last year. hope for bargs to be a more complete player. (never thought i would type that) and for DD and Ed they deserve another year. with the additions of ross, lowry and jv we might be competitive and fun to watch. don't throw all of this out to try and fix it now. our future is youth and we are getting close. i doubt this will happen and i'm glad for that.

ai is a great player, but do not mortgage the future for him. just keep it going.
    If a deal could be made around Calderon, Davis and JJ for Iguodala, I don't think there would be any "future mortgaging" going on at all (age during next season in brackets):

- either Amir (25) or Davis (23) will be the 3rd string PF, being pushed by Acy (22).

- JJ (25/26) is 5th on the wing depth chart, behind DeRozan (23), Fields (24), Ross (21/22) and Kleiza (27/28), with barely enough mintues for 4 players to get sufficient playing time / opportunity to develop, let alone 5.

- Calderon (31) will be a backup PG on a $10.6M expiring contract next season.

--> if these 3 players could be turned into Iguodala (28/29), I don't think the Raptors will even notice they're gone and they will still have a very talented young core of players in place for the long-term. Iggy will only turn 29 next season, so he should still have another 2-3 good years in him beyond the upcoming season.

--> trading Calderon & Davis & JJ would actually SAVE the Raptors about $0.9M next season, so it's not as though Iggy's contract would be an albatross.

--> Calderon would be the most missed, since a new backup PG would need to be acquired. Ironically, he's the most expendable though, given his age and contract status.

LINEUP AFTER IGGY TRADE
    C: Valanciunas (20), Gray (27/28)
    PF: Bargnani (27), Amir (25), Acy (22)
    SF: Iggy (28/29), Kleiza (27/28)
    SG: DeRozan (23), Fields (24), Ross (21/22)
    PG: Lowry (26/27), ???

That is a good, young lineup that clearly has the long-term future in mind. That is not a roster that is mortgaging its future (even if DeRozan happened to be involved in a trade for Iggy; though I'd prefer to get it done without giving up DeRozan).
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Jul 11, 2012, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bloodyhandedgod
    replied
    patience. damn.

i saw a lot of good out of this group last year. hope for bargs to be a more complete player. (never thought i would type that) and for DD and Ed they deserve another year. with the additions of ross, lowry and jv we might be competitive and fun to watch. don't throw all of this out to try and fix it now. our future is youth and we are getting close. i doubt this will happen and i'm glad for that.

ai is a great player, but do not mortgage the future for him. just keep it going.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    JerryZgoda profile

JerryZgoda Why there might never be Batum offer sheet if no S-T: Don't burn Martell, Miller, Darko moves in case you need them for move like Iggy

Zgoda is a Doug Smith/Ryan Wolstat equivalent.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    LBF wrote: View Post
    Not that I've heard. Though I suppose if they just went ahead and gave him an offer today, NYK have 3 days to match, so it could be a few days before we hear anything official.

Leave a comment:

• LBF
    replied
    Now BC needs to turn the Fields signing into something similar... 2013 2nd round pick & rights to Zubcic & $3.15M TPE to NYK for Fields (3yrs @ $6.3M per)... make it happen BC! NYK only get a TPE worth 50% of Fields' contract, due to it being a S&T, rather than a trade for a player under an existing contract.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X