Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the Raptors Make the Playoffs?

Written By: Gobi Naren

For the last couple seasons the Raptors have fell short of entering the post season. Bryan Colangelo and Dwane Casey are looking for change this upcoming season while entering the playoffs and making some noise. With how things are looking in Toronto, we could see the Raptors finally playing in the playoffs.

How will the Raptors make the playoffs?

1. Andrea Bargnani and Demar Derozan
    If Bargnani stay healthy and gives us 25ppg with 7rpg, he will definitely bring our hopes up. All Derozan needs to do is expand his range, become a consistent 3point shooter, and attack the basket. If Derozan can do this and average 20ppg while ripping down 4rpg and dishing out 4apg, were looking at a team on the rise! Like the Thunder in the 2010 season.

2. Terrence Ross and Quincy Acy
    The number 8th pick Ross, is consistent shooter with range and agility. He also brings some defensive skills which will be retooled by coach Casey. If Ross is our 6th man and ends up putting up numbers like James Harden we could be well on our way to a 7th seed playoff team. On the other side, there's 37th pick Quicy Acy. He's a better version of Reggie Evan, the former Raptor. Acy brings lots of defensive skills and a little range for a PF. If these two can become consistent players off the bench, we're going to have a well rounded bench who can match up with elite teams like the Lakers and Spurs.

3. Lowry, Fields, and Other Trades and Free Agent Signings
    Bringing in Kyle Lowry was first time in a long in BC made a good trade. Lowry brings us stellar defensive skills with allstar calliber offensive skills. He can shoot the 3, hit clutch freethrows, and drive to the basket. Lowry also brings shut down defense which coach Casey favours. He should be averaging a near double-double; 18ppg and 8apg. Fields will be probably play the starting 3. He's an excellent rebounder with size and range. He will be able to spread the floor helping Lowry get a couple assists. Its only been a couple days into free agency and the Raptors are in numerous talks of signing key position players. The Raptors also seem to be shopping for starting 3. Bringing in a player like Gay, Iguodala, or even Ilyasova would be an immediate boost to the lineup.

2013/2014 Season Predictions/Projections

Starting Lineup

PG: Lowry/Calderon
    SG: Derozan/Ross
    SF: Fields/Weems/Kleiza/Johnson
    PF: Bargnani/Davis or Johnson/Acy
    C: Valanciunas/Gray

Record: 42 and 40
    Standings: 7th or 8th seed
    Raptors Most Improved Player: Derozan (20ppg/4rpg/4apg/85% FT/50% FG/35%3FG)

Other Predictions

Dwane Casey wins Coach of the Year and BC gets an extension.
    Last edited by RaptorsAnalyst; Fri Jul 6, 2012, 05:58 PM.

Way way way too early for this thread. Toronto's roster will be much different come training camp, than it does today. The same goes for most other teams in the Eastern Conference (ie: what happens to Howard?). No point having this conversation until the end of camp, right before the season tips off.

Comment

I will add though, that, this has been one of the more entertaining off seasons the raps ever had

Comment

I agree that it's too early to post this thread, but I agree with everyone you said. Bargnani needs to stay healthy and hopefully continue his improvement on his defense and rebounding. There has been talk that Derozan has definite gotten stronger in the offseason and hopefully that will help translate to better defense, stronger offensively, and more rebounds. Hopefully Terrance Ross can prove his worth as the 8th pick in a stacked draft. I have trust in him that he can be a solid 8-9 PPG, 3-4 RPG, 2 APG, 0.5 SPG kinda guy off the bench. Quincy Acy doesn't have as much expectations next season, but I hope he can be a really poor-man's Blake Griffin and dunk the crap out of everyone. Raptors games need more energy off the bench and hopefully Acy can provide some dunking energy in the ACC. Most importantly, I'm most excited about Lowry. He adds major scoring from the PG position along with better defense and more rebounds while being rather good at dishing the ball. I'm hoping he has an amazing season of about 17-19 PPG, 5 RPG, 7 APG, and 1.5 SPG. I don't have too much expectations for Fields since he did play on a team where Melo had the ball all the time. But I do hope he can continue to develop more now that he has the chance to touch the ball more often as our starting SF (Assuming BC doesn't no anything else). And one key factors that you are missing is the performance of Big Val. I'm trying to keep my expectations low in case of disappointment, but I would hope that he can be a solid 8-9 PPG, 8-9 RPG, 1-2 APG, and 1.5-2 BPG kinda guy in his rookie season. I think the 6-8 spot is possible for us, but I would expect us to struggle a bit early on due to lack of experience playing together as a team since we do have like 3 new starters. Exciting season this fall

Comment

Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
          I will add though, that, this has been one of the more entertaining off seasons the raps ever had
          lol and the offseason isn't even done yet. Who knows what else BC has up his cunning sleeves...?

Comment

If the season started today I could see Philli, Atlanta and maybe Orlando and Chicago dropping from a playoff spot. I think the nets will for sure make the playoffs and the wizards have a shot 2 assuming all the teams I listed drop from a playoff spot thats 2 spots left and one could very well be the raptors. That being said I think the loss of rose won't hurt the 1st seeded team bulls so much that they leave a playoff spot. And I imagine Orlando will still make it too if they decide to ride out the season with Dwight. We may have to battle with Washington for that 8th seed but I think one more acquisition an raptors will lock a playoff spot

Comment

yes
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                If the season started today I could see Philli, Atlanta and maybe Orlando and Chicago dropping from a playoff spot. I think the nets will for sure make the playoffs and the wizards have a shot 2 assuming all the teams I listed drop from a playoff spot thats 2 spots left and one could very well be the raptors. That being said I think the loss of rose won't hurt the 1st seeded team bulls so much that they leave a playoff spot. And I imagine Orlando will still make it too if they decide to ride out the season with Dwight. We may have to battle with Washington for that 8th seed but I think one more acquisition an raptors will lock a playoff spot
                A part of me wants Rose to stay injured so that we have a shot at getting into playoffs, but another part of me wants to get back healthy cuz I like the guy.

Comment

I think people are drinking the Val kool-aid a little too quickly. He hasn't even played one Nba game yet. He still has to earn his starting spot.

I will say that the raptors will have a great chance if Andrea stays healthy.
                  Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

10 000 Hours wrote: View Post

I will say that the raptors will have a great chance if Andrea stays healthy.
                    So is everyone else for that matter. The level of talent did increase but not by alot so as long as the Raptors play hard every night without going on long losing stretches then there is a chance to make the playoffs but will you really want to meet Miami in the first round?!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      So is everyone else for that matter. The level of talent did increase but not by alot so as long as the Raptors play hard every night without going on long losing stretches then there is a chance to make the playoffs but will you really want to meet Miami in the first round?!
                      Fuck miami we'll smash 'em. Who cares if they just acquired the greatest 3 point shooter of all time and have arguably 2 of the top 5 players in the league and arguably the best player the raptors have had beside vince. We got mediocre sg's playing multiple positions a power forward that lacks defensive skill and a star center who hasn't played a minute. And Lowry could actually be an Allstar. That being said I wouldnt tank this season 1. Cuz we have no pick next year and 2. It gives us playoff experience. So what if Miami smashes us in 4 it's a process. I don't see the raptors being a championship team any time soon but with this core is 4 or 5 years who knows?

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                        I don't really care if we lose in the first round or not. I would be happy to be just a playoff team next season. At least as the 8th seed, we would be relevant in the NBA. Being a playoff team would really boost fan morale which has been an all time low for the past 3-4 years..

Comment

Who knows maybe we could come in 7th and face a team that wouldn't completely destroy us. I think the only team that is unbeatable in the east is Miami. If we were to somehow take out the 2nd seed team we wouldn't have to deal with miami til the conference finals. LOL

Comment

The Raptors will finish 82-0 and tied the Cavaliers for first seed in the East. Book it.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                              The Raptors will finish 82-0 and tied the Cavaliers for first seed in the East. Book it.
                              Lol so what happens when they face in the regular season?

Comment

Working...
                              X