No announcement yet.

Amnesty Amir Johnson and Pick up Elton Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like Amir, but I have to admit, this idea intrigues me. Brand may be just 6'9", but he's got the bulk, strength and low-post game to play the 5. He seems like a far better option than re-signing Gray. Even if Brand splits minutes with Val 50/50 this season, that could be some lethal production from the center position. Then when next season rolls around, we increase Val's minutes even more, while bringing Brand off the bench, and his age never really becomes a concern.

Amnestying Amir may not even be required....

Comment

To amnesty Amir, it would cost the Raptors 17.6 million dollars. That is not sound business, certainly not when the goal is to acquire Brand. Now, if they wanted to free up cap space to go after Marcus Camby, I guess I could see the reasoning. But not for Brand.

Comment

If we took a time machine back about 5-6 years, I'm in.
        Deadallus

Comment

Raptorboy wrote: View Post
          Amir taking passes from Jose will be a major part of the second unit. Amir will earn his paycheck. No need to amnesty his contract...it ain't that bad.
          +1 Amir's contract is quite fine considering he is still quite young. It just hasn't been fair to him to be playing the role he has been playing. A firmly defined backup PF role with Calderon will suit him well. He's exactly what we need. And as long as Val can develop smoothly, Amir should flourish against opposing 2nd units.
          Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Brand isn't going to clear waivers when amnestied. Teams will bid on him. Raptors (or another team) might be able to pick up Brand for as little as $2m - like with Billups to Clips last year - depends if that's the highest bid or not.

Why the hell would they Amnesty a $6m player to get Brand? Raps should be able to work enough cap space for a low bid without amnestying anyone.

Unlike the normal waiver process where the acquiring team owes the player their entire salary - when a player is amnestied the team acquiring the player only pays what they bid - the old team picks up the balance of the salary. Brand will never get a chance to be a free agent after being amnestied - he's too good to get thru the waiver process.
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
              Brand isn't going to clear waivers when amnestied. Teams will bid on him. Raptors (or another team) might be able to pick up Brand for as little as $2m - like with Billups to Clips last year - depends if that's the highest bid or not.

Why the hell would they Amnesty a $6m player to get Brand? Raps should be able to work enough cap space for a low bid without amnestying anyone.

Unlike the normal waiver process where the acquiring team owes the player their entire salary - when a player is amnestied the team acquiring the player only pays what they bid - the old team picks up the balance of the salary. Brand will never get a chance to be a free agent after being amnestied - he's too good to get thru the waiver process.
              +1

Comment

Brothersteve called right.

Mavs just got him for 2.1M.

Source: https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/st...89170853146625

Comment

With such a low claim (and Philly stuck paying the rest of his $18M salary), I wonder if there's potential for a Calderon to Dallas rumor to start up again, since they'd seem to have cap space available for him.

Comment

If I'm Brand I have my money banked already. I'm going to a contender at a highly discounted rate. Miami makes a lot of sense.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      With such a low claim (and Philly stuck paying the rest of his $18M salary), I wonder if there's potential for a Calderon to Dallas rumor to start up again, since they'd seem to have cap space available for him.
                      Hey, who let you in to my mind?

Comment

Since they've got Collison and Beaubois, and still might bring back West, I doubt they're all that interested.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                          Since they've got Collison and Beaubois, and still might bring back West, I doubt they're all that interested.
                          I always considered West and Beaubois undersized 2's.

Not claiming to be right on this.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I always considered West and Beaubois undersized 2's.

Not claiming to be right on this.
                            Agreed. I've never considered either legit PGs

Comment

Working...
                            X