Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aaron Gray Resigned

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Exactly. In many ways, his job IS to foul out! It may not look like anything on a stat sheet, but it can change the tone and outcome of a game. he's more about sending a message and clearing space than anything you'll see on a stat sheet. I'm happy to have him back.

    Comment


    • #17
      Gray fits the team well, and now that he's staying BC won't have to overpay someone else to come play behind JV.
      Besides, in interviews he always struck me as nice, and as someone who gets along with everyone.

      Comment


      • #18
        we need a genuine 7-footer against other team's bigs. Gray can provide some nuisance factor but he is not much of challenge against the likes of Cousins, Munroe and Hibbert.

        Why are we not trying to sign the -filipino- Mcgee? His attitude was in question but he seems to have improved and will continue to do so under Casey. For a skinny guy he managed to keep Bynum very quiet. His athleticism was never in question.

        Comment


        • #19
          Javale Magee? Doesn't he want $10mil a year from Denver? No way in hell would we pay him that. Good point though, brain farts aside he is very quick and a strong defender, but it would never happen.

          Comment


          • #20
            draftedraptor wrote: View Post
            we need a genuine 7-footer against other team's bigs. Gray can provide some nuisance factor but he is not much of challenge against the likes of Cousins, Munroe and Hibbert.

            Why are we not trying to sign the -filipino- Mcgee? His attitude was in question but he seems to have improved and will continue to do so under Casey. For a skinny guy he managed to keep Bynum very quiet. His athleticism was never in question.
            swingman wrote: View Post
            Javale Magee? Doesn't he want $10mil a year from Denver? No way in hell would we pay him that. Good point though, brain farts aside he is very quick and a strong defender, but it would never happen.
            at one point i think he was talking max deal too. a lot of our guys are rail thin and big cat and gray are meaty guys. need the weight and muscle more than anything against some of the giants that play center

            Comment


            • #21
              JaVale McGee is another project. Might as well drafted Andre Drummond, for the money he will command.

              Gray does not have to play for 5 games in a row. Then plug him into the line-up and you manage to get 15 solid minutes.

              He is professional, plays with a high IQ, rebounds, takes up space and attempts to move his feet. I love Aaron Gray. He can pass too. The bad thing about him is he misses too many lay ups. For a back-up centre, he meets criteria.

              I also agree with the posters who talked about the versatility of our line-ups; both starters and bench. You can even put James Johnson at the 4 to go really small. I'm liking how the team is shaking up, but I should hold that until after everything gets settled.


              -- Charles Barkley

              Comment


              • #22
                Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                at one point i think he was talking max deal too. a lot of our guys are rail thin and big cat and gray are meaty guys. need the weight and muscle more than anything against some of the giants that play center
                +1
                In a backup 5 we would need that strength, give JV some more help against the big guys.
                I don't share other people's concerns about JoVal's lack of muscle, but it will take a year or two until he's ready to take guys like Hibbert and D12 on his own. Gray is a good asset in that regard.

                Comment


                • #23
                  swingman wrote: View Post
                  Gray is a good asset in that regard.
                  Darn right! Gray is a slightly above average NBA center, which is great for a backup that doesn't demand big minutes and comes cheap. Plus, as others have said, he's a big, tough, dude, which every team needs.

                  Colangelo is really batting 1.000 this off season. Nobody pinch me, I don't want to wake up to find out he's traded Calderon for a Johnny Flyn in a sign and trade or some stupid crap.
                  Last edited by Quirk; Sun Jul 8, 2012, 06:06 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Good news I like the Gray signing. For the...folks who think we should go out and sign Mcbonehead Javale or max-money Hibbert: $ and sense man. Seriously? This is a backup role signing.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      pakdawgie wrote: View Post
                      Gray, statistically was one of the worst players in the NBA last year according to 82games.com mostly due to his propensity to foul. http://www.82games.com/1112/11TOR17.HTM
                      There's a reason he was available last year and again this year. A 2 year contract for someone like that is a mistake.
                      stats don't lie BUT Gray is a useful matchup player. He makes every one of those fouls count.
                      Dwight Howard HATES playing against him.
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        a guy like mcgee would only come to toronto for a max contract. unfortunately we have to settle for paying too much for mid range players. gray is a decent signing for toronto.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          charlz wrote: View Post
                          stats don't lie BUT Gray is a useful matchup player. He makes every one of those fouls count.
                          Dwight Howard HATES playing against him.
                          Actually, stats can be misleading due to poor stat selection. Sure, Gray fouls a lot, but in a composite stat like WP he still comes out as an above-average center, despite his high foul rate, because of his very good rebounding (and average shooting).
                          http://www.thenbageek.com/players/208-aaron-gray

                          Great pickup for the (presumed) price!!

                          P.S. Sure, McGee is better (a better scorer and a better blocker) than Gray (still a better rebounder). But not enough better for what we would pay, in money, and headaches:
                          http://www.thenbageek.com/players/co..._ids[]=116

                          P.P.S. Interesting to note in the link above that both Ed Davis and Amir Johnson are better (and cheaper) than McGee and Hibbert.
                          Last edited by Kuh; Sun Jul 8, 2012, 10:36 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I just want to know how much? If it's a hair over $3 mil a season, then we overpaid for 6 fouls. I like Gray, good in your face 'who is this guy?' guy.


                            nuff said.
                            i8theball.com it's a website...about, you know....basketball.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              U get what you pay for...

                              Rather have Gray then Jamal Maglore....

                              And dont foget, a couple injuries and this guys our starting 5.

                              Sh!t, he'll prob start even with JV healthy.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                i remember a game where he came in and racked up 3 fouls in 2 minutes. dude cracks me up.
                                @sweatpantsjer

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X