Wolstat: JJ not likely to return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    . I think he gambles too much for steals and blocks, often leaving his man or missing rotations. He thinks he's much better offensively than he is and is far too inconsistent making open shots from outside, which is what his job is supposed to be.
    I never thought his job was to hit outside shots, although he did have a better 3pt% than Demar and Andrea. JJ's job was to defend and rebound, which he did very well.

http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...-Q-amp-A/page3

he also had the best drtg, steal % and blk % on the team. He was also the best non-big rebounder on the team. (And the best non-PG passer on the team in both ast% and assist to turnover ratio)

If he gambled alot, which I didn't see, he sure did a good job recovering and posting the best defensive numbers on the team

Comment

I think he gambles too much for steals and blocks, often leaving his man or missing rotations. He thinks he's much better offensively than he is and is far too inconsistent making open shots from outside, which is what his job is supposed to be.
      He absolutely does gamble too much, but he can and should be taught to tone that down a bit. You don't want to take away his weak side help, because he is absolutely great at that. You just want to teach him that there's a time and a place. As for the shooting, he began the season with one of the worst shooting forms I have ever seen in all my years in the game, and ended it with only poor form, so quite the improvement. Since no other Rap took it to the hoop and finished with authority, he took it upon himself to do so. Too much? Yeah. But SOMEBODY needed to, so he took it upon himself. As this team gets better and he no longer feels the need to do too much, he will become a very effective backup three in this league. We should NOT be letting him go, unless we get good value in return.

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
        He absolutely does gamble too much, but he can and should be taught to tone that down a bit. You don't want to take away his weak side help, because he is absolutely great at that. You just want to teach him that there's a time and a place. As for the shooting, he began the season with one of the worst shooting forms I have ever seen in all my years in the game, and ended it with only poor form, so quite the improvement. Since no other Rap took it to the hoop and finished with authority, he took it upon himself to do so. Too much? Yeah. But SOMEBODY needed to, so he took it upon himself. As this team gets better and he no longer feels the need to do too much, he will become a very effective backup three in this league. We should NOT be letting him go, unless we get good value in return.
        Oh don't get me wrong, I wouldn't just give him away either. However, I'd rank him behind DeRozan, Ross, Fields and Kleiza on the Raptors wing depth chart, so he's expendable, especially if another veteran and/or sharpshooting wing is acquired.

Comment

Just personal preference.

Whether it was Ford, Jack or Bayless, I can't stand watching team "run" by a "me first" style PG. I much prefer traditional pass first PG, who look to get the entire team involved and make each player on the court with him better. I find Bayless to be too focussed on getting his own, especially when matched up against a high quality PG, when he seemed to want to challenge him throughout the game, making it more of a two-man show, as opposed to actually managing his team. I also don't like the way he clearly gives much less effort when he's not starting, seeming to mope and feel entitled to be a starter, because he's clearly an all-star in his own head. If he wants to start, he should earn it through his play, but he seems to go about things the exact opposite; give half effort when not starting, then give 100% only when he is starting.

As for JJ, I think he became overrated by most fans his first year with the team, when he was about the only player who put forth any semblence of effort, thus becoming the best defender on a team allergic to defense. I think he gambles too much for steals and blocks, often leaving his man or missing rotations. He thinks he's much better offensively than he is and is far too inconsistent making open shots from outside, which is what his job is supposed to be.
          Ford wasn't really as "me first" as people say, he just liked taking charge and its better that way because we had no clutch players at the time. He was the reason we made the playoffs that season. I don't want to sound like a douche but Jose hasn't taken us anywhere since he was put as the starting PG. I love jose but off the bench is where he fits on this team. The strong, fast, scoring, and defensive PG's are what this league consist of now, which is why we got K Low. I can almost guarantee you that the raptors will make the playoffs this season with Lowry starting because he is a major upgrade at that position. Plus with the infusion of talent we're getting this summer, this team is just waiting to explode like a freakin nuclear bomb.

Comment

WTF! we are letting go of James Johnson??!?!? wow, thats horrible.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
              Ford wasn't really as "me first" as people say, he just liked taking charge and its better that way because we had no clutch players at the time. He was the reason we made the playoffs that season. I don't want to sound like a douche but Jose hasn't taken us anywhere since he was put as the starting PG. I love jose but off the bench is where he fits on this team. The strong, fast, scoring, and defensive PG's are what this league consist of now, which is why we got K Low. I can almost guarantee you that the raptors will make the playoffs this season with Lowry starting because he is a major upgrade at that position. Plus with the infusion of talent we're getting this summer, this team is just waiting to explode like a freakin nuclear bomb.
              i second your feelings on ford and wish he didnt have a bad spine. he was a good pg

Comment

James Johnson is our best perimeter defender who can also hold his own in the 4 spot. I don't get this speculation. I hope it's not true.

We're already losing Bayless, not James Johnson too ...
                “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

Bayless and JJ gone... that alone makes this a happy offseason for me!
                  so what did Colangelo get for Bosh then...?

torch19 wrote: View Post
                  James Johnson is our best perimeter defender who can also hold his own in the 4 spot. I don't get this speculation. I hope it's not true.

We're already losing Bayless, not James Johnson too ...
                  +1
                  "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    Hmmm, this is still pure speculation though. Nothing concrete. Rush is more difficult to get here than Wright as GState is really high on him.
                    I think he heard something through the grapevine.

Comment

We already have so much depth on the wings! I can see calderon getting packaged in some sort of deal. heaps of teams are looking for expiring contracts! but do we really need more wing players?

Comment

JJ is obviously very popular. Big fan of JJ myself. Solid defensive player. Something happened during the season which relegated him to the bench. BC and Co. did not give specifics but whatever happened has made him fall out of their favor. I hope they work things out. I'd love to see him stay.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Regardless of the credibility of Wolstat, I was under the impression that Johnson is a goner anyway. Looks like Fields is here to stay, and Kleiza seems more valuable as a welcoming committee for Jonas than a basketball player. There's no point holding onto Johnson as a 3rd SF, especially with Ross being able to play that position in spurts also.

Johnson is the opposite of Bargnani, but just as troublesome. All defense, no offense.

Comment

Isn't James Johnson "Incident" everyone is referring to basically the same thing Kyle Lowry went through in Houston? Doesn't make sense that JJ would be on the outs because of this when we just acquired a point guard with the exact same type of problem(s).
                            your pal,
                            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                              Isn't James Johnson "Incident" everyone is referring to basically the same thing Kyle Lowry went through in Houston? Doesn't make sense that JJ would be on the outs because of this when we just acquired a point guard with the exact same type of problem(s).
                              The difference is that Lowry is actually skilled enough to backup his claims. Johnson, not so much...

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                                I think there is a difference between the two.

From all accounts Johnsons wanted a bigger role on the team. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing and probably isn't punishable. How he approached it ofcourse is another story, and it must have been boneheaded enough to land in the dog house. He took his disagreement with the coach standing up, admitted he made the mistake, kept it private and kept playing.

Lowry on the other butted heads with McHale, took it public and then made a demand of either the coach goes or he goes.

Comment

Working...
                                X