Weems renounced - now unrestricted free agent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems renounced - now unrestricted free agent

Raptors renounce the rights to Sonny Weems.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

The Toronto Raptors have renounced the rights to Sonny Weems, according to sources. Weems is now an unrestricted free agent.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 04:03 PM.

He was never coming back.

I assume this to mean the Raptors couldn't find a suitor willing to give up an asset for him and no team is willing to offer more than the minimum.

**Just my assumptions there/No fact to support the claim**

Comment

It is also possible that BC is making it easier for Weems to get another contract as an UFA. I'm wondering if the Weems and Bayless QO was in case he had to put a complicated trade together and needed tradeable pieces?

Comment

Katman wrote: View Post
        It is also possible that BC is making it easier for Weems to get another contract as an UFA. I'm wondering if the Weems and Bayless QO was in case he had to put a complicated trade together and needed tradeable pieces?
        Your guess is as good as mine.

That could definitely be a possibility.

Comment

Another possibility could be Weems was looking to sign the qualifying offer.

Raps/BC did not want him back so they pulled it.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Raptors renounce the rights to Sonny Weems.
            They must have realized they couldn't S&T him to gain an asset in return. If he wasn't in the team's future plans (no reason to think he was, given the draft and signing), there was no point keeping him, other than to piss off some team by making them wait 3 days after tendering him an offer.

I understood the purpose of extending the QO to Bayless, to try and get something in return in a S&T (either on his own or as part of some bigger trade). Due to a clause in the new CBA, they never had that option with Weems, so the QO never made sense to me in the first place.

Comment

RaptorsPR ‏@RaptorsPR

Incorrect. Withdrew QO, still retain rights. @AlexKennedyNBA: The Raptors have renounced rights to Sonny Weems, according to sources.
              Retweeted by Eric Koreen

Comment

I believe Raptors still can trade his rights for cash or future 2nd rounder.

Comment

next stop for weems prob. will be china, or maybe dubai LOL but who knows bigger scrubs have managed to get paid to carry luggage for your Lebron/melo/kobe's in the nba

Comment

G00DF3LLA5 wrote: View Post
                    I believe Raptors still can trade his rights for cash or future 2nd rounder.
                    Nope. There's a clause in the new CBA that says players who didn't actually play for a team the previous year, are unable to be used in a S&T, even though the team retains the rest of their RFA rights (ie: right to match offers, 'bird' rights to re-sign even if over the salary cap).

This applies to Toronto (Weems), Utah (Kirilenko), Boston (Green) and Phoenix (Brooks) at least. Larry Coon has confirmed it in a few of his chats over the past week or so.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      He was never coming back.

I assume this to mean the Raptors couldn't find a suitor willing to give up an asset for him and no team is willing to offer more than the minimum.

**Just my assumptions there/No fact to support the claim**
                      Pretty solid assumption. Raps have held onto Weems bird-right for now so its still possible to do a deal
                      Last edited by brothersteve; Tue Jul 10, 2012, 06:09 PM.
                      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Generally when a team pulls a Q.O. its to prevent the player from accepting it. In this case the Q.O. was only for $1.1m so the Raps must not want him back - at least not on a 1 yr deal.
                        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                          Generally when a team pulls a Q.O. its to prevent the player from accepting it. In this case the Q.O. was only for $1.1m so the Raps must not want him back - at least not on a 1 yr deal.
                          His QO was more than he would get on a minimum deal ($854K). Makes sense for the Raps to pull it.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                            Nope. There's a clause in the new CBA that says players who didn't actually play for a team the previous year, are unable to be used in a S&T, even though the team retains the rest of their RFA rights (ie: right to match offers, 'bird' rights to re-sign even if over the salary cap).

This applies to Toronto (Weems), Utah (Kirilenko), Boston (Green) and Phoenix (Brooks) at least. Larry Coon has confirmed it in a few of his chats over the past week or so.
                            If there is such a clause it must be in the new CBA because if you remember Carlos Delfino who played in Europe for a year was dealt to the Bucks.

Since you mentioned Kirilenko, I wonder if Colangelo and Co. are considering him for SF. Always liked him.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                              If there is such a clause it must be in the new CBA because if you remember Carlos Delfino who played in Europe for a year was dealt to the Bucks.

Since you mentioned Kirilenko, I wonder if Colangelo and Co. are considering him for SF. Always liked him.
                              Delfino trade was under the old CBA. The new one was signed at the start of this season, which ended the lockout. That is the exact type of deal this clause prohibits.

Comment

Working...
                              X