Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fitting in Lowry with Calderon, Fields and DeRozan, What to do with Ed and JJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we successfully sign Fields then he'll be around for the duration of his contract because no teams going to want to acquire his backloaded deal. Ross will be around for this year because he's our pick and his skills fit with our flaws. DeRozan's on a short leash now but he still has room to improve. Klieza is obviously expendable but he might be valuable for Jonas' transition. James Johnson is our best defender but there are reports that there's now chance he returns. 1 or 2 of these wings are expendable assuming we're getting a wing back in a transaction. Jose and/or a PF can be included also. What we'd need in return is a proven, high-performance starting SF and a backup PG, maybe a big too. I feel like we're fairly secure at the PG,SG,PF and perhaps C positions for the future. SF definitely could be improved and I'm thinking we have the assets to improve right now.

Comment

jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
      If we successfully sign Fields then he'll be around for the duration of his contract because no teams going to want to acquire his backloaded deal. Ross will be around for this year because he's our pick and his skills fit with our flaws. DeRozan's on a short leash now but he still has room to improve. Klieza is obviously expendable but he might be valuable for Jonas' transition. James Johnson is our best defender but there are reports that there's now chance he returns. 1 or 2 of these wings are expendable assuming we're getting a wing back in a transaction. Jose and/or a PF can be included also. What we'd need in return is a proven, high-performance starting SF and a backup PG, maybe a big too. I feel like we're fairly secure at the PG,SG,PF and perhaps C positions for the future. SF definitely could be improved and I'm thinking we have the assets to improve right now.
      +1

If reports of Gray returning are accurate, then we'd appear to be set at backup C. I assume Magloire has the inside track on returning as the veteran 3rd C, though it could be interesting to see how Daniel Orton does with the team in summer league.

There are plenty of veteran backup PG type players on the market this offseason and, when combined with the fact that Calderon turns 31 before the start of next season and is an expiring contract, it would seem like the perfect time to utilize Calderon in a package of players (ie: Davis/Amir, JJ and possibly DD) to acquire a significantly upgraded starting SF.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        I totally agree. Ideally a team has 8 core players (5 starters, backup PG, backup wing who is usually the 6th man/sparkplug scorer off the bench, and backup big), with another 2-3 secondary rotation players who are used situationally and/or based on matchups.

The biggest problem with the logjams the Raps have at various positions right now, is that there aren't clearly defined roles. The Raps are deep in secondary rotation players, but are lacking legit starters.
        Yup. The pecking order is one of the aspects I'll be following closest coming out of training camp. I'm all for internal competition, but if we're approaching the all-star break, and we still have 5 wing players "battling" for a spot in the 8-man rotation, we'll be in trouble.

The sooner Casey gets his rotation down, the better. Players need to know their roles, and expectations need to be kept in check.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Yup. The pecking order is one of the aspects I'll be following closest coming out of training camp. I'm all for internal competition, but if we're approaching the all-star break, and we still have 5 wing players "battling" for a spot in the 8-man rotation, we'll be in trouble.

The sooner Casey gets his rotation down, the better. Players need to know their roles, and expectations need to be kept in check.
          That's just it - how can guys properly develop, if they aren't getting sufficient and consistent playing time? And how can Casey get the most out of this team and have his guys develop on-court chemistry, if there isn't a consistent lineup and rotation?

It's in the best interest of the team and to all the players involved, to clear the PF and wing logjams. The only other option is to declare a "winner" of the positional battles coming out of training camp and sticking to the decision, which would leave one PF (Amir or Davis, plus Acy) and one wing (JJ or Kleiza) firmly glued to the bench; no more sharing of backup duties. How would that help the player's individual development or be in the best interest of the team? How could that possibly be a better strategy than trading the unused assets for a better, useable player that would actually contribute to the team on the court??

Comment

I feel like this is one of those threads that was made entirely too early. It's the beginning of the offseason and the roster we see now will be a lot different (hopefully) than the one on opening night. I think the front office sees the log jams and will find a way to fix it before the season starts to a point where we have the 8 or 9 man rotation that we need.

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
              Add in Aaron gray and JV splitting 48 minutes, for 24 each at the 1.
              We disagree on this one has I have serious doubts Gray and JV will average 32 minutes between them, even when both are healthy.

The thought of Gray playing 24 minutes per game is really depressing to me. I am OK with him as the 5th big but not in a major (12+ mpg) contributor.

Comment

"10.pancit from manila
                So d12 staying till trade deadline 2013 is the big move of orl? Will u give your opinion who will be a better pro jV of tor or myers leonard of portland? Thanks

◦Joel Brigham
                I’ve been signing the praises of Jonas Valanciunas for the better part of the last year. We get a lot of Raptors questions, so I’ve been keeping up with him here and there throughout the year. He tends to dominate his competition, and his skill set at his height should translate well to the NBA game. I think he and Kyle Lowry save the Raptors, honestly. Really looking forward to seeing how much they improve next season.

Nowhere near as sold on Meyers Leonard. He’s a big boy, and freakishly fast and athletic for a guy that size, but I’ve talked to scouts who said his attitude isn’t great and his teammates didn’t really like him at U of I. Players similar to Leonard have been painfully average at best in the past, so I’d rather put my money on Valanciunas. I think he’ll be the better pro by a mile."

Nice praise from a non toronto writer.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  I totally agree. Ideally a team has 8 core players (5 starters, backup PG, backup wing who is usually the 6th man/sparkplug scorer off the bench, and backup big), with another 2-3 secondary rotation players who are used situationally and/or based on matchups.

The biggest problem with the logjams the Raps have at various positions right now, is that there aren't clearly defined roles. The Raps are deep in secondary rotation players, but are lacking legit starters.
                  Agree, and this has been our problem off on and on for about 12 years, and definitely for the last 5
                  Its why some games players like kleiza play well and others he sux. Its like any job. When you come to work, if someone kept changing your responsibilities, promoting you, demoting you, etc. you would find it difficult to be consistent and contribute.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    The thought of Gray playing 24 minutes per game is really depressing to me. I am OK with him as the 5th big but not in a major (12+ mpg) contributor.

I agree. If A 2 the G has much more of a role than Jamaal had last year I'm going to throw a fit.

Frontcourt:
                    4: AB/ED/Amir
                    5: JV/AJ/AG/ED

JV would do well to be able to stay on the floor 24 minutes per. His biggest problem I've seen is he fouls like, well, an aggressive 19 year old with more length than sense. I don't think it'll be a long term issue or anything but I bet he struggles with fouls his rookie year.
                    LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Prime wrote: View Post
                      Dragic. Brooks plays for the Suns
                      I was looking at 10-11.

http://www.82games.com/1011/1011HOU2.HTM

Comment

too early, a long way to go and a lot of time for BC to make additional changes

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                          All of this assumes the one near-impossibility for any team: a season without injuries. It also assumes that every game will see the same rotations despite matchups. Depth is a good thing, even if on paper there aren't enough minutes to go around.
                          Injuries!! Excellent point. Last year we finished the season with 2 D-Leaguers as starters. That should not be an issue due to a lot more depth.
                          -Also, players not getting a lot of minutes -if not happy about it -PUSH the starters. Competition is good.

Comment

knowledgep wrote: View Post
                            too early, a long way to go and a lot of time for BC to make additional changes
                            Jonas's play will likely determine how much Gray plays.

Comment

Working...
                            X