X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Every SG goes through this type of patch. The fact that he is doing it in his third year is the problem. JV is also going to go through a terrible stretch since he wasn't allowed to do it organically. It takes 10,000 hrs to become competent in a skill. Bruno has had almost 5 min shaved off his development time. Players don't develop without playing time + responsibility.
    I wasn't really trying to send this into a debate about player development because my long and short story are the same. Dwayne Casey is, just not good at it.

Ross running DD sets doesn't make sense...even from a developmental standpoint. His skill set screams "set play catch and shoot player" and "doesn't do contact, at all". A brief plan of action with those skill sets are to develop along this track:

1) Become deadly and consistent at your shots (late last season/early this season)
    2) Learn counter to close outs (floater - in development, 1 dribble pull up)
    3) Flex options (pocket passes, decoys, etc)

Instead I am really afraid that we have derailed his development. Now he is going to go into the offseason without a clear understanding of what it is he needs to do to become a solid NBA player. When you keep his role consistent and his expectations clear, then his private work will align with what we need on-court. Instead of him practicing catch and shoot 3pt shooting off screen actions, we may see him work on his strength and driving ability.

Sure, strength and driving ability would be nice, but he would have to suddenly become 100x better at it to be an average NBA player. Or, he could become a professional at a specific craft in which he is already good at, and be great at it. Help him find his niche, not influence him to try and change his spots

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    MixxAOR wrote: View Post
    I thought they were doing it for sake of development and I'm cool with that. I still think he needs to learn to drive to the basket. Maybe next year if he's not traded
    People don't want to trade Ross they want to dump him. 40% three point shooters aren't so common that team dump them on their rookie deals.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    TRex wrote: View Post
    Ross can be a real good/effective player if used properly. He's not DeMar DeRozan. This is what i don't understand, why are they running DeRozan plays for him? coaching staff should know better.

Ross is a catch and shoot/spot up shooter type of player. That's where he's at his best. And i've been saying this for almost 2 years on this board now. 2 names. Anthony Parker and MoPete. That's the type of player Ross is.
    I thought they were doing it for sake of development and I'm cool with that. I still think he needs to learn to drive to the basket. Maybe next year if he's not traded

Leave a comment:

• raptors999
    replied
    Casey says he runs plays for player to hit shot in areas they are comfortable and successful. If TRoss is using Demars play sets then he is taking shots in bad areas where he has shown no preference. If Demar didn't hit his shots with confidence and success no coach in their right minds would run long curls for a two or shots just inside the three. If Casey is making TRoss practice Demars mid-range game he is a complete idiot. If TRoss was injured and he made Demar take in rhythm threes he would be a joke.

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Ross can be a real good/effective player if used properly. He's not DeMar DeRozan. This is what i don't understand, why are they running DeRozan plays for him? coaching staff should know better.

Ross is a catch and shoot/spot up shooter type of player. That's where he's at his best. And i've been saying this for almost 2 years on this board now. 2 names. Anthony Parker and MoPete. That's the type of player Ross is.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X