Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Smarty pants

    To Whom It May Concern:

    Would someone kindly advise me as to what we couldve had if we never secured the services of JJ back in 2011.
    We gave up late-first round pick in 2011 to acquire him from Chicago. Please advise me what we couldve got back in that slot. Now measure that with the service provided to us by JJ in a Raptor Uniform all the way to end of 2012

    When we got him he was younger with potential and gave up a late 1st round pick...big deal
    When we traded him he was bit older now still with potential but now a locker peace disturber exhanged for late 2nd. ...woopeee big deal.

    After the top 10 draftess its anyones gamble. No big difference between what you might get late 1st rd or early
    2nd. JJ on another team would be a deep bench dude. Playing on a crappy team like the RAPS...he is BIG STAR...lol.......send him to another winning team...he aint anything. How many 20pt games or double digit rebounds has he had. Reality Check folks.....

    good deal...stop crying

    Peace
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.


    Muhammad Ali

    Comment


    • I liked James Johnson, brought something to the table, and always went after it. But since the internal issue, and his sometimes inconsistent play really conflicted.

      I'm sad we couldn't get someone in return, but that speaks towards his value.

      Who are the top 10 wing free agents left? Because with 2.6$ million on freed up space, plus I believe 4$ million left in the cap (correct me if I've mistake), are we looking to sign someone? Because trading any of our current assets other than Jose looks really unlikely. Jose being traded looks more and more likely during trade deadline.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

      Comment


      • NoBan wrote: View Post
        BC is the unquestioned leader and the face of the leadership team. Everything that surrounds the team falls under his umbrella.

        He's not making specific programming decisions, but everything that happens with raps media coverage happens on his watch. We can't expect him to dig into the media side of things, but he's gotta set the tone of what is and is not acceptable on that side of the fence... something that he's failed to do with a lackluster product as a result.

        You racist!
        Seriosuly man?......Seriously. You need to stop drinking the coffee or something.

        Woooooosssaaaahhh!

        Comment


        • Maleko wrote: View Post
          Seriosuly man?......Seriously. You need to stop drinking the coffee or something.

          Woooooosssaaaahhh!
          Seriously that was not a serious comment but I think you may have taken it seriously.

          Comment


          • minks77 wrote: View Post
            Although I respect your right to interpret the situation as you see fit, I disagree with you're analysis of what BC is and by extension what he's doing wrong.

            1) BC and his crew have been noted for using advanced analytics, advanced psychological screening (member that test they put Andrea through that said he had the mental focus to be great or some shit?) loads of scouts and some of the best minds in the biz and he isn't afraid to think out side the box unlike many other GMs out there. These have all been discussed in various reports over the years. I'm interested to hear where you got the idea that he doesn't use any of the new tools out there or is it just speculation because he reaches different conclusions than you do?

            2) Less of a focus on Euro players? Euro like Ed Davis, Amir Johnson, James Johnson (who they almost drafted ahead of DeMar) DD, Aaron Gray, Reggie Evans, Kyle Lowry, Landry Fields, Ross... the list goes on but you need to actually look at the players he's brought in and realize you are believing in the tooth fairy here. Andrea, Jorge, Rasho, Marco and JV are his big Euro player pick ups and only two of them play here anymore. I suppose you could consider Parker a "non euro euro" but then you have to give me Linas as a "non american american" as he played his whole career over here and went to college in the US.

            3) Culture creation is up to the group as a whole but I'd argue that most of it is up to the coach. I agree Nash is a sieve but so is Jose and DC was able to hide him effectively last year so there's no doubt he could do the same thing with a player of such a higher calibre.

            4) Every GM is in the pockets of agents to some degree and needs to be. Especially with a team some agents/players don't want to come to for whatever reason. You can't just go around alienating people willy nilly and expect to be able to do your job going forward. You have to understand that there's a lot of politicking involved. There's no way around it. it's a key part of doing ANY kind of business. Agents and players notice things like what he did with Barbosa and don't forget it.

            5) The GM has nothing to do with the horrible TV Schedule. NOTHING. The Raptors organization has many different branches and BC has nothing to do with media placement. MLSEL sells rights to games in blocks to the highest bidders. Good business for them, sucks for us. I hate TSN for trying to force my hand to buy an extra specialty channel to watch games in HD when the other networks include HD. It's a dirty money grab but like they say, THIS IS A BUSINESS.
            We all know Bargs did well on the wonderlic and that's a big reason why we drafted him ahead of Aldridge. But I've never heard the Raps mentioned as a team ahead of the curve (or even at the curve) on advanced stats. Teams like the ones I mentioned are always brought up, and we should be too. Ive never heard of the raps contract help from any of the major advanced-stats companies (like other teams do) and, to my knowledge, we've never hired anybody from MIT or anything like that. We've never had anybody on the panel of the Sloan conference... I just don't see the evidence that we are making the necessary investments here... and the team's performance backs that up.

            The Euro thing is more about where we allocate our scouting resources, as I mentioned already

            Nash was clearly a mismatch for DC's system, culture.. which is why the pursuit of him was so ridiculous. The leader of the org needs every move to reinforce the vision/culture he's trying to establish.. .and the bumbling pursuit of Nash showed shocking neglennce in this arena.

            I'm not buying your argument that "it's OK if an agent bends him over backward because it happens to others as well"

            I've already made arguments that BC is accountable for the high level media plan of the team.

            Comment


            • NoBan wrote: View Post
              Seriously that was not a serious comment but I think you may have taken it seriously.
              Boy...you all taking JJ's departure very seriously. Chill out!!!


              All the best to JJ , King and the Raptors.

              Peace
              It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.


              Muhammad Ali

              Comment


              • Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                Boy...you all taking JJ's departure very seriously. Chill out!!!


                All the best to JJ , King and the Raptors.

                Peace
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                Comment


                • Fanchie wrote: View Post
                  I know that kind of maths are a bit too simple to throw in the discussion, but 9.1 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.1 steals and 1.4 blocks per game for $2.8M is quite valuable. Of course, you'd have to take what these minutes could be used for if given to someone else, and there are some non-measurable parameters, but I think "valuable" is an ok definition of what JJ is. Not awesome, but not useless.

                  We discussed his value for months and months to compare it to the late 1st rounder we gave away to get him. And the conclusion was that having him on the team was better than having this pick. And now we would be saying that a 2nd rounder is more valuable than JJ ?

                  Don't get me wrong : i'm fine with this deal cause with Fields in, he's the one who has to go (Kleiza will be a huge help for Jonas acclimatation, I don't want him anywhere else than in TO). It's just not a deal BC needed to do (after all, we have 3 PF and we drafted a 4th one) so if he did it, it has to be for a bigger reason.
                  I noticed that you left out that he was the 7th worst SF in the league with turnovers. That was the knock on him. I also noticed that you said he wasn't a locker room cancer, how do we know that? I think he had some potential as a player and thought he was owed something for that potential. We don't truly know what he was like for the coaches and players in the locker room. I read that the team didn't believe he was a good team player actually. I liked him and wish him well. I loved that he posterized Blake Griffen, but beyond that I don't think he has a whole lot of value.

                  Comment


                  • WOW, this is the dumbest trade, nothing else to say.

                    Comment


                    • I don't really understand the outrage over this trade. Value-wise, yes, it sucks we traded a first rounder for a second rounder. But given what BC had to work with you can't be that upset. We lost a 29th overall pick and gained.. maybe a 35th pick? If the rumors are true, we're talking about a guy who was caught smoking a joint on the team plane. If not, we're still dealing with a guy who was (subsequently) demoted and had disagreements with the coach. And despite his scrappy play, was unable to get back into the starting lineup of a team that won a third of its games.

                      The fact that we were able to get a 2nd round pick for this, is pretty good.

                      Better case would have been if he was really good and we traded for a better 1st rounder.. but given the circumstances I think we did alright.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

                      Comment


                      • ebrian wrote: View Post
                        I don't really understand the outrage over this trade. Value-wise, yes, it sucks we traded a first rounder for a second rounder. But given what BC had to work with you can't be that upset. We lost a 29th overall pick and gained.. maybe a 35th pick? If the rumors are true, we're talking about a guy who was caught smoking a joint on the team plane. If not, we're still dealing with a guy who was (subsequently) demoted and had disagreements with the coach. And despite his scrappy play, was unable to get back into the starting lineup of a team that won a third of its games.

                        The fact that we were able to get a 2nd round pick for this, is pretty good.

                        Better case would have been if he was really good and we traded for a better 1st rounder.. but given the circumstances I think we did alright.
                        What. The. fuck? Smoking a joint on the team plane? Where did these rumours come from?
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

                        Comment


                        • NoBan wrote: View Post
                          We all know Bargs did well on the wonderlic and that's a big reason why we drafted him ahead of Aldridge. But I've never heard the Raps mentioned as a team ahead of the curve (or even at the curve) on advanced stats. Teams like the ones I mentioned are always brought up, and we should be too. Ive never heard of the raps contract help from any of the major advanced-stats companies (like other teams do) and, to my knowledge, we've never hired anybody from MIT or anything like that. We've never had anybody on the panel of the Sloan conference... I just don't see the evidence that we are making the necessary investments here... and the team's performance backs that up.

                          The Euro thing is more about where we allocate our scouting resources, as I mentioned already

                          Nash was clearly a mismatch for DC's system, culture.. which is why the pursuit of him was so ridiculous. The leader of the org needs every move to reinforce the vision/culture he's trying to establish.. .and the bumbling pursuit of Nash showed shocking neglennce in this arena.

                          I'm not buying your argument that "it's OK if an agent bends him over backward because it happens to others as well"

                          I've already made arguments that BC is accountable for the high level media plan of the team.
                          I am on iPhone. Anyone find the advanced video that raptors are one of only 10 teams to use to quiet this person?

                          Comment


                          • dude we r paying landy fukin fields 20 mil to warm up the bench, and we are willing to overpay the likes of calderon, amir, almost nash. overpaying is what we do regardless!! why not overpay on a quality player!

                            you are telling me a line up of lowry, johnson, defensive anchor(some1 like thabo) barg and big v isn't intriguing?? think twice and calculate the payroll!! it works!!

                            Comment


                            • ball4life wrote: View Post
                              dude we r paying landy fukin fields 20 mil to warm up the bench, and we are willing to overpay the likes of calderon, amir, almost nash. overpaying is what we do regardless!! why not overpay on a quality player!

                              you are telling me a line up of lowry, johnson, defensive anchor(some1 like thabo) barg and big v isn't intriguing?? think twice and calculate the payroll!! it works!!
                              Isn't that what BC did? He overpayed for Fields, who in most circles can be defined as a quality player.

                              So you're saying we should've kept JJ, not sign Fields and gotten Thabo instead (who I believe is not on the trading block)? How can we calculate the payroll if you're suggesting a line-up of only 5 players??? That is indeed intriguing.

                              Comment


                              • James Johnson stinks. He has tons of potential, but has never shown any real indication he'll figure it out. His terrible offensive skills and high TO rate completely cancel out any positives on the defensive end. The fact that he was taken as low as 16th, with his physical skills, shows that there wasn't a lot of faith in him even coming out of college. The league (and even more so the summer league) is filled with these guys if the Raptors want another one in the future.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X