OFFICIAL: James Johnson sent to Kings for 2nd Rounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
    Our SF rotation right now is: Landry Fields and Linus Kleiza.
    In my opinion that's an upgrade over last season's: James Johnson and an injured Linus Kleiza.

Lowry and Jose is an upgrade over Jose and Bayless at PG.
    Jonas and Gray is an upgrade over Gray and Amir at C.
    Add in the SF upgrade, and I think we can call that "hitting the ground running" after a DC training camp.
    Thank you. For a second there I thought ALL fans of this team were unhappy.
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• So basically we gambled on Nash by giving Landry a bigger contract than he's worth in a strategic move. That back fired and we're stuck with a bigger contract than what we normally would have offered Landry. His contract, as others have mentioned, warrants a starting role and we also have to find minutes for T. Ross and and Kleiza at SF. JJ was the odd man out, and BC's hand was kind of forced to make the trade because of a bad contract he handed out.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
        A healthy Kleiza is actually a pretty decent bench scorer. He provides more value than simply being a "translator".
        Seems to be most people's reason for keeping him, like he is untouchable because he can talk to JV. I used to like Kleiza but he hasn't played well for the Raptors and having only gotten older I'm not sure he can get anywhere near the player he used to be.

Comment

Maybe a bigger move is on the horizon after all....
          Why does this idea terrify me?

Comment

• Didn't hate JJ but didn't place him as high on my list as so many here do. I'll put my trust with the people who saw him everyday and knew what his headspace and commitment to the game really were and not lose too much sleep over it. I keep saying y'all need to chill on overreacting to the lose of mediocre players on bad teams. This is a cap clearing move that also creates roster space. I'll take it.

Loved his hustle on D but hustle without direction is really just flailing about and not really playing the game at the highest level. His offence was horrific and his effort came and went. I can't understand why a fringe player with his god given abilities would pull some of the black hole/diva isht he did. And don't even start me on the hair...

It's a "m'eh, NEXT!" kinda move IMO for a "m'eh, NEXT!" kinda player. Just like Jamario you have to wonder how well he actually understands what's happening out there sometimes. BBall IQ was definitely not the highest.
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              So basically we gambled on Nash by giving Landry a bigger contract than he's worth in a strategic move. That back fired and we're stuck with a bigger contract than what we normally would have offered Landry. His contract, as others have mentioned, warrants a starting role and we also have to find minutes for T. Ross and and Kleiza at SF. JJ was the odd man out, and BC's hand was kind of forced to make the trade because of a bad contract he handed out.
              Or, it had nothing to do with Landry/Nash at all, and was really just about getting rid of a player who didn't fit and wasn't worth much around the league in order to save some money.

Sometimes a trade is just a trade.
              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

You forgot Lowry
                Solid point. I love me some Jose, but all these years living the Calderon experience has led me to skip right over the PG spot as a primary scoring opition.

I still hope Lowry differs to Bargs and DeRo on O. Facilitate first, get own shot second, take over in crunch time.... basically the Chris Paul school of PGing.

I still think Linus will be an important offensive contributer if we're headed for any success at all.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  I think we're ok, the only guys on this roster other than Calderon are guys BC drafted so they're obviously not getting traded.

Comment

• Red and White wrote: View Post
                    Yeah I am with you on this one. I just dont understand. Trade a first round pick for JJ. Play JJ. Watch JJ develop. Trade JJ for a second round pick. There has to be something else in the works.

Sacramento fans are pretty upset about this trade as well, but hypothetical starting lineup for the Kings:

IT
                    Evans
                    JJ
                    Robinson
                    Cousins
                    Who shoots the 3 and spreads the floor?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      Because our GM is a clown and every time he makes a big move it short term focused and f*&ks us up in the long term. Just a guess, but... ya.

Comment

• Yeah, my first thought on reading about this trade is that there must be some potential move out there that BC is pursing, where a second-rounder would be more useful in a package than JJ. I agree with those who say that JJ for a second doesn't seem like great value, but it's entirely possible that the second-rounder has more value than JJ to some team out there.

I'm glad that he's going to an irrelevant west-coast team. He's the sort of guy I'd hate to see on a rival four times a year, because he'd probably bring it really hard against us.

Comment

• You really think BC would not take the best deal possible?

It might be hard to nelieve but raptor fans might have a much higher value of him compared to the rest of the league.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                            Yeah, my first thought on reading about this trade is that there must be some potential move out there that BC is pursing, where a second-rounder would be more useful in a package than JJ. I agree with those who say that JJ for a second doesn't seem like great value, but it's entirely possible that the second-rounder has more value than JJ to some team out there.

I'm glad that he's going to an irrelevant west-coast team. He's the sort of guy I'd hate to see on a rival four times a year, because he'd probably bring it really hard against us.
                            I'm not so sure about this. I've made the arguement above, but I think this shows that a big move is not coming.

We need a SF back. JJ would be a nice piece to couple with Jose, DD, or ED to land a higher-caliber SF (like Iggy or Gay or Marion). His contact is OK to take on, but still helps match salaries, and he'd slide into the backup SF spot a potential trade would open up with our trade partner. I think this move shows that Jose and DeRo aren't a big enough prize to fetch a starting caliber SF.

I think this shows we're done. Only potential move is to send Jose packing for a similarly crappy pick, and then try to parlay these crappy picks into a backup PG.

Comment

As per Eric Koreen:

Fields and Kleiza will handle the small forward spot for the time being, with DeMar DeRozan moving over from shooting guard in a pinch. However, the Raptors are aggressively pursuing an upgrade at the position through a trade

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...medium=twitter

Maybe a bigger move is on the horizon after all....
                              My gut says Iggy... it just makes too much sense. Toronto wants a veteran, defensive minded starting SF. Philly has enough depth on the wing and wants to free cap space for next offseason.

Toronto would likely have needed to include JJ's contract in a deal to land Iggy, but Philly has no real use for him. This Sacramento deal was done to achieve the same goal (free up enough total cap space to take on Iggy's contract), while also landing another sweetener (2nd round pick).

It will either get done as a 2-part trade (ie: Calderon to Dallas first), or Calderon will be included in the deal direct to Philly. Davis seems the most likely player to be sent to Philly, unless they'd prefer Amir.

hmmm if the possible 3-way trade that Matt mentioned early in this thread were to be expanded to 4 teams...
                              Boston - Terry (via S&T)
                              Dallas - Calderon
                              Minnesota - Carter & $2M cash (to pay Carter's buyout, clearing $4M cap space for them)
                              Toronto - Ridnour
                              --> Toronto would acquire a backup PG to replace Calderon

Toronto could then trade Amir & 2x 2nd round picks (& possibly the rights to Zubcic) to Philly for Iggy straight-up, instead of Davis, since the difference between Amir ($6.05M) and Davis ($2.2M) is just about the same amount as Ridnour's contract...

Salary Out: JJ (2.8) + Calderon (10.6) + Amir (6.05) = $19.45M
                              Salary In: Ridnour (4.0) + Iggy (14.7) = $18.7M

OR

Salary Out: JJ (2.8) + Calderon (10.6) + Davis (2.2) = $15.6M
                              Salary In: Iggy (14.7) = $14.7M (would still need to find a backup PG)
                              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jul 16, 2012, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• good trade

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                Who shoots the 3 and spreads the floor?
                                Sorry to say but JJ is not starting in the King lineup.

Lastly, all the BC haters...Please for the 1000th time tell me who would you rather have as GM here.
                                BC is doing fine. No much of a difference between a later 1st round pick for JJ as compared to a early 2nd rd pick back to ship him out.

They tried developing him and things just didnt work out. All the best. decent trade

THANK YOU
                                It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.

Muhammad Ali

Comment

Working...
                                X