Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Love for Raptors in Summer League Rankings

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • No Love for Raptors in Summer League Rankings

    I read a couple of articles on the Summer League out of SB Nation today , and the Raptors were shown no love.

    The all rookie team:

    Point Guard: Damian Lillard
    Shooting Guard: Bradley Beal
    Small Forward: Jae Crowder
    Power Forward: Terrence Jones
    Center: Donatas Motiejunas

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/2...eam/in/2911039

    Ranking the 52 rookies:

    5. Jeremy Lamb, Rockets

    It looks like he'll end up being the best shooter in this draft. Despite his slender frame, he has no issues getting on balance, wherever he is on the floor. Given his size, he will be lethal running off baseline screens and spotting up in corners. He also has a reputation for being a poor passer, but I saw several nice reads when he popped up from the baseline. It'll be interesting to see if he can shed the bad habit of dancing around side-to-side too much on pick and rolls. That's about the only weakness I noticed in his game.

    Still not understanding how he went four picks after Terrence Ross.

    20. Terrence Ross, Raptors

    If the Raptors see Ross as more of a "3/D" guy that camps out on the perimeter to space the floor and plays strong one-on-one defense, then they should be encouraged by his play in Vegas. You could see him playing with DeMar DeRozan or Landry Fields, occupying a complimentary role while making an impact for his team.

    I just feel like the No. 8 pick should have shown a bit more than that. He had major issues getting into the paint off the dribble, forcing him to fire up a bunch of errant jumpers. For the Raptors to get him a scoring opportunity, they had to hope a defender helped off him or that he could free himself using the maze of screens set up for him. His defense was impressive, and he'll be used next season, but I was frankly disappointed in his inability to get to the hoop.
    41. Quincy Acy, Raptors: Was seemingly desperate to prove he could hit a perimeter shot, and actually wasn't that bad at it in the limited time he played.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/2...ard/in/2911039

    Of course this is just some writer's opinion, but 20 seems a bit low. He obviously likes Lamb better than Ross.


    Summer League all veteran team:

    Point Guard: Charles Jenkins
    Shooting Guard: Josh Selby
    Small Forward: Tobias Harris
    Power Forward: Markieff Morris (Honourable mention: Ed Davis)
    Center: Byron Mullens, Charlotte Bobcats

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/2...ans/in/2911039
    Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

  • #2
    RaptorDan wrote: View Post
    I read a couple of articles on the Summer League out of SB Nation today , and the Raptors were shown no love.

    The all rookie team:

    Point Guard: Damian Lillard
    Shooting Guard: Bradley Beal
    Small Forward: Jae Crowder
    Power Forward: Terrence Jones
    Center: Donatas Motiejunas

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/2...eam/in/2911039

    Ranking the 52 rookies:







    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/2...ard/in/2911039

    Of course this is just some writer's opinion, but 20 seems a bit low. He obviously likes Lamb better than Ross.


    Summer League all veteran team:

    Point Guard: Charles Jenkins
    Shooting Guard: Josh Selby
    Small Forward: Tobias Harris
    Power Forward: Markieff Morris (Honourable mention: Ed Davis)
    Center: Byron Mullens, Charlotte Bobcats

    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2012/7/2...ans/in/2911039
    This guy is an absolute idiot who shouldn't be an article writer whatsoever. Barnes is gonna be a role player in the NBA? Sure. Whatever you say. Another thing to note is that the numbering system he chooses to implemented is absolutely pointless. The numbers don't represent what you think it does. It's just randomly used. He's just putting rookies in categories with a random number attached to each rookie. Don't pay any attention to this pathetic deceptive article. As for Ross, let the idiotic bias American make his opinion. I'm pretty sure as Raptors fans, we are used to being the sh*t end of the stick when it comes to the media...
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Mon Jul 23rd, 2012, 04:53 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      "It looks like he'll be the best shooter in the draft"?

      Seriously? Its EFFing Summer League. Anyone who tries to use Summer League as anything but what it is (glorified practice) is kidding themselves. Summer League doesn't tell you a damn thing except who needs to get cut.

      Comment


      • #4
        I wonder if Lamb was picked at 8, would he criticize the pick because all he wrote about what his shooting? He praised Ross' D and shooting but 8 was too high.

        Anyway, the number/ranking doesn't really mean anything. And life is too short (and there are way too many NBA bloggers) to get upset about what a writer says about a Raptor. Discuss it? Sure. But getting offended by something like this isn't worth it.
        Last edited by Mess; Mon Jul 23rd, 2012, 05:18 PM.
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

        Comment


        • #5
          Always so sensitive

          Comment


          • #6
            Lamb's offense shone in summer league for sure.. But give me the guy who shows a lot of offensive promise, a lot of defensive promise, and a lot of heart. Lamb is an offensive specialist who appears apathetic at times. We've been down that road before. I like TROSS and I'll be sticking by him if and when Lamb puts up better offensive numbers this season.

            ps. I bet this blogger had pegged the Raptors to select Lamb in his mock draft as a sure thing and is p'd off because they threw a wrench in his theory..

            Comment


            • #7
              All these dumb writers are just being harsh to Ross because he was picked higher than THEY expected. Just because he didn't over perform, they automatically believe he was a waste of a pick. And how the heck did Markieff Morris make that over Ed?? Were his stats much better?

              Comment


              • #8
                Jerryd Bayless was the 2008 Summer league MVP. Watching 4-5 games (if the writer did) at Vegas is not necessarily going be anything but a hunch. All of these players are going to be playing at a different level when they get to the big club. In the meantime.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                  Of course this is just some writer's opinion, but 20 seems a bit low. He obviously likes Lamb better than Ross.
                  Liked has nothing to do with it, Lamb simply was the better player in summer league.


                  joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  Seriously? Its EFFing Summer League. Anyone who tries to use Summer League as anything but what it is (glorified practice) is kidding themselves. Summer League doesn't tell you a damn thing except who needs to get cut.
                  I don't disagree with you but I do remember how impressive Rondo was in his first summer league and when I declared at the time that Rondo might be the best player from that 2006 draft, a few on here mocked me saying "are you crazy its just summer league!" well who is crazy now???!!!

                  I won't go out on a limb and say Lamb will be great because I am still not 100% sold on him, but Lillard will be good mark my word on it. The Jury is still out on Ross in my opinion because summer league showed that he still needs to figure things out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I too think #8 was too high for Terrence Ross in this draft. But it wouldn't be a surprise if Jeremy Lamb ends up being a better player, he was ranked higher on virtually every draft board. It's why Ross was a surprising pick in the first place. I do believe, however, that Ross is a better all-around player than either Lamb or Austin Rivers as far as immediate impact. He'll be effective in many more areas than just shooting; the area at which he most excels. He'll bring you shot-making, good versatile defense, athleticism on the break, and rebounding from the wing positions. His overall talent level and ceiling are lower than some people picked after him, but he's without question the better fit for this team. If people are concerned with him shooting below 40% from the field in summer league just remember that he was our only good perimeter option. When he's on the court with Lowry, DeRozan, Fields, Bargnani, or JV he'll have many more opportunities for clean looks. I think it's safe to assume he'll shoot like he did in his years with Washington as opposed to a few games in Summer League.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hotshot wrote: View Post
                      I don't disagree with you but I do remember how impressive Rondo was in his first summer league and when I declared at the time that Rondo might be the best player from that 2006 draft, a few on here mocked me saying "are you crazy its just summer league!" well who is crazy now???!!!
                      I think it's a case of a great player will be great in summer league
                      but a great summer league player will not necessarily be great in the NBA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        although loyal Colangelo fans will disagree, Ross was kind of a stretch in the draft. I would've loved to see a player like Austin Rivers, who can shoot almost as well as Ross and has the ability to get in the paint more efficiently
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
                          I too think #8 was too high for Terrence Ross in this draft. But it wouldn't be a surprise if Jeremy Lamb ends up being a better player, he was ranked higher on virtually every draft board. It's why Ross was a surprising pick in the first place. I do believe, however, that Ross is a better all-around player than either Lamb or Austin Rivers as far as immediate impact. He'll be effective in many more areas than just shooting; the area at which he most excels. He'll bring you shot-making, good versatile defense, athleticism on the break, and rebounding from the wing positions. His overall talent level and ceiling are lower than some people picked after him, but he's without question the better fit for this team. If people are concerned with him shooting below 40% from the field in summer league just remember that he was our only good perimeter option. When he's on the court with Lowry, DeRozan, Fields, Bargnani, or JV he'll have many more opportunities for clean looks. I think it's safe to assume he'll shoot like he did in his years with Washington as opposed to a few games in Summer League.
                          Yes it is a stretch and Lamb will probably have a better career. The difference between the Raptors' pick for Ross and Houston's pick for Lamb is that Houston took the best player available and we took the best player that will fit the team's system.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            it's summer league so who really cares about ranking players but to be fair, neither ross, davis or acy shined. now, there were various reasons for it, but the fact is they didn't. let's see the rankings at the end of the year.
                            @sweatpantsjer

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              T Ross will destroy Lamb and rivers for years to come

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X