No announcement yet.

2012 Updated Off-Season Grades - ESPN Insider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Colangelo didn't actually want him, could he have offered lower and still put the kibosh on Nash-to-Knicks?
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
      I guess the question about Landry Fields' contract is what we could have gotten instead. Fields is not going to be a terrible starter. He'll be decent. But could we have gotten better for the amount spent? I've listed some small(ish) contracts signed during this offseason for 2s and 3s:

OJ Mayo: $8.5m/2yr with Dallas
      Anthony Randolph: $6m/3yr with Denver
      Michael Beasley: $18m/3yr with Phoenix
      Nick Young: $6m/1yr with Philadelphia
      Danny Green: $12m/3yr with San Antonio
      J.R. Smith: $5.6m/2yr with New York
      Shannon Brown: $7m/2yr with Phoenix
      Steve Novak: $15m/4yr with New York
      Gerald Green: $10.5m/3yr with Indiana
      Randy Foye: $2.5m/1yr with Utah
      Ronnie Brewer: $1m/1yr with New York

Not saying we could have gotten any of these guys, but there are some bargain basement prices in this list. Let me just say I'm happy with Landry Fields as our starting SF this year. But you can't deny there were some really nice deals that make ours with Landry look pretty horrible.
      Interesting take on Field's. Everyone is so caught up on how much he's paid, but what is his contract like compared to other FAs or RFAs?

The only players that jump out at me as a bargain are Young, D. Green and Brewer. But with Young, he's a shoot first, ask question wing man that would make Bargnani's "volume shooting" look efficient. Green and Brewer would be the only players that I would see as a "good fit" for the Raptors. But then you need to ask the question, would either of those guys sign in Toronto for the price they signed in SA and NY, respectively? Out of the two, I think Brewer is the only one who would've even had a slight chance to sign here. Green is a integral part of a high tier team. You could even argue that Fields is a better or equal defender when comparing him to Green and much better offensively than Brewer. Finally, are all of these guys here RFAs or FA?

I like Field's and I hope to see more of his rookie numbers here than last seasons. Is his contract a blemish? Sure, but in a market where you need to overpay for FA and really overpay for RFAs it could be worse...

Comment

If Colangelo didn't actually want him, could he have offered lower and still put the kibosh on Nash-to-Knicks?
        Fields would have had to accept the offer. They could offer $4M but if Fields balks at it, then there is no offer on the table that NY could match. Ultimately I think BC wanted Fields even if Nash did not sign with us since the offer was so generous and it would make the Knicks think twice before matching because of the poison pill.

But that's typical Colangelo. When has he ever offered a contract to a free agent that was not questionable (outside of those very small deals like Carter, Butler, Magloire, Forbes, etc)? It's one of the things I find most frustrating with him. Is it because we are in Canada and he has to overpay or is Bryan just always that generous?

Comment

I guess the question about Landry Fields' contract is what we could have gotten instead. Fields is not going to be a terrible starter. He'll be decent. But could we have gotten better for the amount spent? I've listed some small(ish) contracts signed during this offseason for 2s and 3s:

OJ Mayo: $8.5m/2yr with Dallas
          Anthony Randolph: $6m/3yr with Denver
          Michael Beasley: $18m/3yr with Phoenix
          Nick Young: $6m/1yr with Philadelphia
          Danny Green: $12m/3yr with San Antonio
          J.R. Smith: $5.6m/2yr with New York
          Shannon Brown: $7m/2yr with Phoenix
          Steve Novak: $15m/4yr with New York
          Gerald Green: $10.5m/3yr with Indiana
          Randy Foye: $2.5m/1yr with Utah
          Ronnie Brewer: $1m/1yr with New York

Not saying we could have gotten any of these guys, but there are some bargain basement prices in this list. Let me just say I'm happy with Landry Fields as our starting SF this year. But you can't deny there were some really nice deals that make ours with Landry look pretty horrible.
          The thing about the list though is Mayo, Young, Green, Brown, and Foye are all 2-guards.

Randolph, Beasley, and Novak could be argued as PF's or SF's but there is a saying if you are debating SF/PF most likely they are a PF.

That leaves Smith (2/3), Brewer (2/3), and Green in addition to the tweeners.

Smith is a pass for me.
          Green is certainly interesting.
          Brewer at $1.4M is an absolute steal but he was not available until many free agent deals were already verbally agreed to.
          Novak is a specialty player with NO defense or rebounding.
          Beasley is a no for me.
          Randolph is a no as well.

So when removing the strictly SG's, I like the signing of Fields...... even though he is over paid by about $2M but that is the cost of free agency and restricted free agency in particular.

Comment

I think D. Green was a case of being a pretty good fit for the Spurs system (even though he stunk in the playoffs). He'd be asked to do more in Toronto and I'm not sure he can handle it. He was almost out of the league before being part of the success in San Antonio.

Mostly everyone is cheap for a reason. Brewer would be interesting but I don't think he would play ahead of Kleiza anyway.
            Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

i think fields is better than most of the past few Sf's we've had. Better than jamario moon, Antoine wright, and possibly Turkyglue too

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                i think fields is better than most of the past few Sf's we've had. Better than jamario moon, Antoine wright, and possibly Turkyglue too
                Sadly, Fields is probably the best SF we've had since Jalen Rose.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Sadly, Fields is probably the best SF we've had since Jalen Rose.
                  isn't that sorta a good thing? he still has lots of room to grow

Comment

I thought Jalen Rose was a point-guard? But, we've only had two good small forwards in our existence, in my opinion, Carter sg/sf, and matrix...
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                      I thought Jalen Rose was a point-guard? But, we've only had two good small forwards in our existence, in my opinion, Carter sg/sf, and matrix...
                      T-Mac?
                      TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                        no he was a 6'8" SF

Comment

Jalen Rose played pg for the Raptors and Denver, but he played sf/sg for Indiana. I'll always remember him as a pg because that's the position he played for us.
                          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                            Jalen Rose played pg for the Raptors and Denver, but he played sf/sg for Indiana. I'll always remember him as a pg because that's the position he played for us.
                            idk didn't really watch the raptors much when Jalen rose was playin

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              idk didn't really watch the raptors much when Jalen rose was playin
                              Yeah that's just a bit eatliet before I really started following this team...

Another small forward who was good for us early in his Toronto career was Jamario Moon, man I loved his injury. The dunks, the energy defensively with all those random blocks, rebounding, he brought it..

I also loved Carlos Delfino, man I wish we could re-sign that guy...
                              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

UGGGHHH sorry for all those typos, shit.... I hate iPod keyss...
                                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X