Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2012 Updated Off-Season Grades - ESPN Insider

TORONTO RAPTORS

Key additions: Kyle Lowry (trade), Jonas Valanciunas (draft), Terrence Ross (draft), Landry Fields (FA), Aaron Gray (re-sign), Quincy Acy (draft), John Lucas III (FA)

Key subtractions: Jerryd Bayless, James Johnson, Gary Forbes

GM Bryan Colangelo went all-in on Steve Nash this summer. He had the hometown hero angle working for him. He offered Nash the biggest contract. He gave Fields a ridiculous contract to cut the Knicks' sign-and-trade offer for Nash off at the knees. He even had Wayne Gretzky in his corner.

The one thing Colangelo didn't have? A team that was close to Nash's kids. In the end, Nash chose family over money or fame and, in doing so, inadvertently stuck another dagger into the hearts of Raptors fans everywhere.

While losing Nash was a blow, Raptors fans have things to look forward to this season. Getting Lowry for a future draft pick was a steal. He is a big upgrade at the point and gives them some toughness they desperately lacked.

Adding Valanciunas is also a pretty big deal. He may not be an impact player right out of the gate, but most general managers agree that he would have been the No. 2 pick in the draft behind Anthony Davis. Ross gives them a great shooter and athlete on the wing, and Acy is the type of player who will do all of the dirty work in the paint.

Pair those three with Andrea Bargnani, DeMar DeRozan and friends and the Raptors have a team that should be much more competitive this season.

The only thing keeping the Raptors from getting an A is the fact that Fields' offer sheet was not matched by the Knicks. I don't care what the Raptors are saying, they would have never paid him that much money had they known Nash was heading to L.A. Now they're stuck with him. It's not the end of the world, but it's a pretty big blemish on what has otherwise been a pretty positive summer.

GRADE: B-
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    The only thing keeping the Raptors from getting an A is the fact that Fields' offer sheet was not matched by the Knicks. I don't care what the Raptors are saying, they would have never paid him that much money had they known Nash was heading to L.A. Now they're stuck with him. It's not the end of the world, but it's a pretty big blemish on what has otherwise been a pretty positive summer.

GRADE: B-
    And that one move got us a grade of B- instead of an A? That's a pretty huge drop for one missed move (according to ESPN). I'm glad this guy's not my prof.

Comment

Thanks for posting ZZ!

Who's the Author? Does it say?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Thanks for posting ZZ!

Who's the Author? Does it say?
        Chad Ford

Comment

I don't like Chad Ford. I have no specific reason...I just feel like should we be at a bar he would likely say something to annoy me and catch a back hand.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I think I would have given them a B+. But that could all change depending on Jose Calderon's situation.
            Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

I'd say a B+ because we dodged the Nash fiasco and landed us a Lowry. Still amazed at the hate for Landry Fields' contract while Omer Asik's goes unnoticed. ***.
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                I'd say a B+ because we dodged the Nash fiasco and landed us a Lowry. Still amazed at the hate for Landry Fields' contract while Omer Asik's goes unnoticed. ***.
                Have to agree.

I don't think the contract is good by any stretch of the imagination but it is not THAT bad.

The thing that pisses me off is people continuing with the $20M. It is $18.75M - $6.25M per season.

He is likely overpaid by about $2M per year but given restricted free agency in general, one has to overpay to begin with.

I'd be very happy at $4M but at $4M he'd be a Knick.

Comment

Omer Asik...4th big for the bulls 3 years 20 million... averaged 4pts and 4 boards.... We got twice that for 1.5 million less
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                    Omer Asik...4th big for the bulls 3 years 20 million... averaged 4pts and 4 boards.... We got twice that for 1.5 million less
                    I thought Asik was 3 years and $25M? $8.3 per year?

Comment

Yeah, I don't think Fields is on a good contract, but it's all relative. If New York resigned him at that level, it would be pretty bad for them, because it would restrict their already difficult cap situation. But for Toronto, with our current cap situation, our expirings, and our amnesty options, it's unlikely that Fields' contract ever becomes something that prevents Toronto from making a key move. If we had landed Nash, then the odds of Fields' contract becoming problematic greatly increase.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                        If New York resigned him at that level, it would be pretty bad for them, because it would restrict their already difficult cap situation. But for Toronto, with our current cap situation, our expirings, and our amnesty options, it's unlikely that Fields' contract ever becomes something that prevents Toronto from making a key move.
                        The other difference being that, if New York matched the offer, the Cap hit against them would be equal to that of his Salary each year; where as the Cap hit against us is averaged out over each of the 3 years. Third year far less Dangerous for us than it would have been for NY... on top of everything you listed as well.

Its not THAT bad of a contract.
                        $6M a year for a Starting SF? Deal.

But I could be eating those words in the near future.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I thought Asik was 3 years and $25M? $8.3 per year?
                          you are correct sir...this number only adds to my point though lol

Comment

Also the big contract for Fields is dulled by the great contract for Lowry.

So Lowry and Fields for approx 14 million a year. Not too bad at all!

Comment

I bet if we drafted Lamb, whom Chad Ford really liked instead of Ross, he would have given us that B+.

Comment

Working...
                              X