X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer
    replied
    j bean wrote: View Post
    Agents don't make trade requests without instruction from their client.
    Agents advise their clients on how they think they should proceed. If you have an agent, and he isn't giving you advice, or you aren't taking his advice, you are throwing away 15% of your salary for nothing. I have read, in other sources, that the stuff about Jose wanting a trade after the Lowry acquisition was the agent talking. Can't remember the source, but based on JC's history, it sounded more likely than Jose complaining.

Leave a comment:

• j bean
    replied
    Agents don't make trade requests without instruction from their client.
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Tough to know if that was his reaction or his agent's on the trade request. I'm sure regardless of trade request he was unhappy with a starter being brought in at his position. Also, it must be frustrating knowing you've been on the trade block for 3 years and technically traded once.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
    I think all of this controversy is just about Jose's contract. Being demoted to the bench is never a good thing, but it's extremely amplified when a player is in a contract year.

I really wish that he could remain an important part of the team, but money talks, and while Jose is a real class act, it's all about the bottom line.

He'll play off the bench and do his best, but in his heart, he won't be happy.

...if somehow Toronto trades him for the elusive legit wing, and then manages to resign him to the MLE, Toronto would certainly be a lock for a playoff seed, and perhaps, a visit to the 2nd round???

Jose is my favourite Raptor (by far) and I hope that the situation can be resolved for both sides.

BTW, no one is talking about how Lowry must feel now that Casey is saying that the starting PG spot is still up for grabs.
    I think that is back peddling on the Raptors part. When Lowry was first signed the initial reaction was "PG of the future" and "starter"..... when there was no beneficial trade for Calderon the tune changed.

I think Chisholm nailed it with:
    Despite his skills, circumstances have all but dictated that Calderon is a reserve guard given the way today's NBA landscape is shaped. While that landscape is ever-shifting, for now he'd be wise to accept a reserve role with the Raptors, post his highly efficient numbers off of the bench, and hope to play his way into a contract extension with the only NBA club he's ever known.
    Realistically where ever he goes next year he is going to be a reserve.

Leave a comment:

• 10 000 Hours
    replied
    I think all of this controversy is just about Jose's contract. Being demoted to the bench is never a good thing, but it's extremely amplified when a player is in a contract year.

I really wish that he could remain an important part of the team, but money talks, and while Jose is a real class act, it's all about the bottom line.

He'll play off the bench and do his best, but in his heart, he won't be happy.

...if somehow Toronto trades him for the elusive legit wing, and then manages to resign him to the MLE, Toronto would certainly be a lock for a playoff seed, and perhaps, a visit to the 2nd round???

Jose is my favourite Raptor (by far) and I hope that the situation can be resolved for both sides.

BTW, no one is talking about how Lowry must feel now that Casey is saying that the starting PG spot is still up for grabs.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Calderone's reaction to the acquisition of KL was to become upset and request a trade. Not the reaction of somebody happy the team paying him $10,000,000 has been improved. My opinion is that the team will be better without him. It's just intuition on my part.
    Tough to know if that was his reaction or his agent's on the trade request. I'm sure regardless of trade request he was unhappy with a starter being brought in at his position. Also, it must be frustrating knowing you've been on the trade block for 3 years and technically traded once.

Leave a comment:

• j bean
    replied
    Calderone's reaction to the acquisition of KL was to become upset and request a trade. Not the reaction of somebody happy the team paying him $10,000,000 has been improved. My opinion is that the team will be better without him. It's just intuition on my part.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Puffer wrote: View Post
    They both have different styles. Coach Casey would love to have the ability to sub in whichever one of them he felt would be most suitable, based on the match-ups at any given time. He is going to be super happy going into the season with these two options. The only thing that would make him change his mind is if a great trade opportunity came along. The odds of a "great trade opportunity" for Calderon coming along are very slight. Casey doesn't care about salaries, he cares about the arrows in his quiver.
    Unless a team is underperforming or not living up to expectations, with an upcoming free agent unwilling to resign/stating he will not resign, and/or unwilling to pay luxury tax.

For anyone guessing who I am speculating about, see Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia, or Memphis. Those are the teams that immediately come to mind.... and then, of course, there is the unknown teams.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    They both have different styles. Coach Casey would love to have the ability to sub in whichever one of them he felt would be most suitable, based on the match-ups at any given time. He is going to be super happy going into the season with these two options. The only thing that would make him change his mind is if a great trade opportunity came along. The odds of a "great trade opportunity" for Calderon coming along are very slight. Casey doesn't care about salaries, he cares about the arrows in his quiver.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Mess wrote: View Post
    Not sure why Jose competing for minutes this season, as opposed to almost every other season, would suddenly ruin the chemistry of the Raptors. I think his role this year is as clear as it was last year, only it's being a backup rather than a starter...As for next season, it seems likely that he'll be very good backup PG wherever he is, so it may as well be in Toronto.
    As well put as it possibly could be.

Puffer, "What Mess just said."

Leave a comment:

• Mess
    replied
    Not sure why Jose competing for minutes this season, as opposed to almost every other season, would suddenly ruin the chemistry of the Raptors. I think his role this year is as clear as it was last year, only it's being a backup rather than a starter.

I agree with Tim. If the Raptors make the playoffs with him as a very valuable contributor off the bench (and they have a much greater shot of that with him than they do with JLIII as backup), that will arguably keep his value as high as it would be playing anywhere else.

As for next season, it seems likely that he'll be very good backup PG wherever he is, so it may as well be in Toronto.

Leave a comment:

• CT2010
    replied
    Good teams have players that execute within clearly defined roles. Calderone's role as the starter for this team has come and gone. To let him think he has a chance to compete for that isn't fair to him. JL3rd can backup KL. Just for chemistry Jose should be moved as soon as possible.
    i agree with your assessment of the roles needing to be clearly defined. I expect that if Jose is relegated to the back up role, he will do it with as much effort and passion that he has always demonstrated here in the past. I don't believe that there will be any chemistry issues once the rotation is solid. Jose is going to be a 2nd point guard on any decent team now, so I believe that his role will be bigger and more important on the Raptors than on other teams. He has always been great helping youth develop and I think once he accepts that this is his role he will excel at it.

Leave a comment:

• wallz
    replied
    Good teams have players that execute within clearly defined roles. Calderone's role as the starter for this team has come and gone. To let him think he has a chance to compete for that isn't fair to him. JL3rd can backup KL. Just for chemistry Jose should be moved as soon as possible.
    I agree. Unclear roles can lead to sub-par play from the players. As much as I'd like to see Jose in Toronto for the rest of his career, I'm not so sure it will work out

Leave a comment:

• j bean
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MyTEAM4Life
    replied
    What everyone keeps forgetting is that this is a contract year for calderon, so by keeping him (if there are no good trades available) you have a stronger team - not to mention and very strong bench. So the controversy is all with Calderon and his agent because if he stays in Toronto he has to play well otherwise he wont be getting paid in the future. So unless you are trading him for a clear cut starter or a great draft pick, keeping him is in the best interest of the team.

Leave a comment:

• Mack North
    replied
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see it work out whereby the Raps obtain the elusive star wing via trade thereby maintaining the MLE to resign Jose using it. This trade could be done before trade deadline, draft night, or at the start of free agency in 2013.

The only way the scenario of signing Jose to the MLE does not work is if the Raptors use their cap space to sign a RFA to an offer sheet or if they sign an UFA.
    This would be ideal. I would really love to keep Jose, and I wanna see him retire a Raptor. To me, the guy gives his all when he's on the court and has always been a true gentleman and professional, as well as an above average PG. Getting the star wing would trump Jose staying though, if it were to come to that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X