Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let The Valanciunas, Anthony Davis Comparisons Begin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    although I think Val will be more of an asset to his team than Davis, I still voted for Anthony because of what he means to his team now. Our main offensive focus will still be on Barg and DeRozan in a couple of years; meanwhile in New Orleans the team will be circling around Davis. I think from a statistical standpoint Davis will hold the torch
    Twitter - @thekid_it

    Comment


    • #17
      [QUOTE=isaacthompson;149797]although I think Val will be more of an asset to his team than Davis, I still voted for Anthony because of what he means to his team now. .../QUOTE]

      I think the survey said in five years form now. Davis getting the keys to the team early could actually hurt his development, if he takes on an "entitlement" mentality. No obvious indications that he will, but I like the fact that Jonas is going to have to fight for playing time, fight to stop foul troubles, fight to develop a low post game as a classical "big man." Better to be required to claim your position than have it handed to you.

      Comment


      • #18
        theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
        We'll be starting to see more of this


        Wow, I wouldn't be surprised if he could hit outside shots with that shooting stroke. More skilled than I thought?

        Comment


        • #19
          Not sure the JV/AD comparison is fair.

          Position perspective: JV is a C; AD is a PF.

          Statistics perspective: Euro game and NCAA are the same game with different rules and style.

          Competitions perspective: JV played against men; Davis played against boys.


          A question/thought with no answer we'll ever know:

          What would Anthony Davis do in EuroLeague/EuroBasket/Baltic League/Lithuanian League?
          At the very least we have an idea of what JV would do with his own age group based on U16/18/19 competitions.


          To answer the question of the thread: I have no idea. Look at the draft boards from 5 and 6 years ago. It is easy to look back now and grade the picks but in real time?

          Comment


          • #20
            Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Not sure the JV/AD comparison is fair.

            Position perspective: JV is a C; AD is a PF.

            Statistics perspective: Euro game and NCAA are the same game with different rules and style.

            Competitions perspective: JV played against men; Davis played against boys.


            A question/thought with no answer we'll ever know:

            What would Anthony Davis do in EuroLeague/EuroBasket/Baltic League/Lithuanian League?
            At the very least we have an idea of what JV would do with his own age group based on U16/18/19 competitions.


            To answer the question of the thread: I have no idea. Look at the draft boards from 5 and 6 years ago. It is easy to look back now and grade the picks but in real time?
            Not too mention two different styles in individual game-play. Pre-mature thread.

            Comment


            • #21
              i dont see anthony davis being a superstar in this league. he weighs as much as derozan and we're always saying how he needs to bulk up to playing at the 2 not the 4. hes gunna get bullied in the post and be in foul trouble constantly for his first few years and he wont look so good when hes not on a stacked team compared to his opponents. jonas could have averaged 20/11 and 3.5 blocks on that kentucky team

              Comment


              • #22
                d749 wrote: View Post
                i dont see anthony davis being a superstar in this league. he weighs as much as derozan and we're always saying how he needs to bulk up to playing at the 2 not the 4. hes gunna get bullied in the post and be in foul trouble constantly for his first few years and he wont look so good when hes not on a stacked team compared to his opponents. jonas could have averaged 20/11 and 3.5 blocks on that kentucky team
                Dont you think draft experts and scouts for NBA teams take his weight into consideration? There are reasons why a person is the consensus #1 pick. He has an array of athletic abilities that are amazing for a big man to have. 6 '10 height, 7'4 wingspan, fast, agile, good hands, and amazing reflexes. He is simply an efficient player (his field goal percentage at one time was near 68% on 2 point shots) on offense and defense. It is easy for a player to add on weight (especially a player with an solid work ethic), but it is a lot harder to come across a prospect who has the blend of skills that Davis has.

                I disagree that he will have foul trouble, seeing as he averaged 2 fouls a game in college, and I can not see it jumping to like 4 or 5 a game. Yeah, he will get bullied in the post, but he will slowly add weight, and learn the game more, and I doubt that is a huge problem in his second or third year.
                Last edited by Red and White; Wed Aug 8, 2012, 10:29 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  It's not fair to compare these two players. I think JV could be really good, but I consider Anthony Davis to be a super star in the making and had to give him my vote.

                  Think about this. JV has been playing professionally since age 16 against grown men, but still has so far to go with regards to developing a few post moves and learning to stay out of foul trouble, as can be seen during the Olympics. AD in the limited time he's seen play time in the Olympics has fit in seamlessly with the NBA players (albeit they are great players) and been down right efficient. It's his first time playing with grown men and against grown men and he's still able to be impactful. I'm really high on AD and what he can become if he can remain healthy. JV will be a really good player, but not sure if he's a super star.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    It's not fair to compare these two players. I think JV could be really good, but I consider Anthony Davis to be a super star in the making and had to give him my vote.

                    Think about this. JV has been playing professionally since age 16 against grown men, but still has so far to go with regards to developing a few post moves and learning to stay out of foul trouble, as can be seen during the Olympics. AD in the limited time he's seen play time in the Olympics has fit in seamlessly with the NBA players (albeit they are great players) and been down right efficient.

                    Everytime I watch AD it's all alley oops (with better passers than what JV gets) in garbage time. Of course he's going to be efficient.
                    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Davis-Val. Who will be better?
                      Does it matter?
                      IMO we got a heck of a player. I can see him playing 12-20 minutes a game (this year) without looking out of place.
                      I watched good part of Russia-Lit game today & I was impressed (not awed) by Val.
                      Excellent foot movement (even after a sprained ankle), Nice P&R; Solid D (both 1 on 1 & help D). What I was particularly impressed was that he played "within his means" (did not try to force anything, just hustle).
                      Granted neither Russian centers (nor others in Olympics & that includes Chandler) are all that dominant but aside from Dwight, Bynum he will nor face that many great centers.
                      In summary, the future looks promising for both of them (Davis & Val). If somebody "steals" ROY -good for them. I still would not trade either Val or Davis for anybody this year in draft.
                      My pick for ROY: Toss up Beal-Robinson.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        In terms of Anthony Davis and Jonas Valanciunas comparisons, this is a very biased question. If the same question was asked to Hornet's fans and US fans in general, people would call us stupid.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
                          Everytime I watch AD it's all alley oops (with better passers than what JV gets) in garbage time. Of course he's going to be efficient.
                          You're only looking at his offense which is the weakest part of his game. He's a beast on defense with blocked shots, and help side defense. It's really difficult to get a shot off around him.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X