Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle for 8

Who will get the Eight seed?

Good article written by Stephen Brotherston about whose in the conversation for the eight seed. Thoughts?

@Chr1st1anL

Very nice find Chr1s1anL! I feel that this evaluation of our current roster is relatively fair. Our playoff aspiration all hinges on Bargnani being healthy, our rookies (Val and Ross), and team chemistry. Hopefully things will work out for us next season!

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
      Very nice find Chr1s1anL! I feel that this evaluation of our current roster is relatively fair. Our playoff aspiration all hinges on Bargnani being healthy, our rookies (Val and Ross), and team chemistry. Hopefully things will work out for us next season!
      I think it also hinges on Lowry's never quit attitude infecting the rest of the team. He will be the engine of the team. A lot is riding on him.
      Walking like I'm already there.

Comment

Pretty much everything needs to go right for the Raptors to have a chance at the 8th seed.

Comment

I hope that Bynum continues his immature ways and that Phili really struggles on defence

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
            I hope that Bynum continues his immature ways and that Phili really struggles on defence
            .... and Amir and JV run circles around him and kill him end to end on transition.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              .... and Amir and JV run circles around him and kill him end to end on transition.
              and give him the crook eye / stink eye while running him all over the court while yelling center piece, center piece.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Pretty much everything needs to go right for the Raptors to have a chance at the 8th seed.
                IMO I don't think things have to go perfectly right for 8. We just need chemistry. To get a high seed than 8 than everything has to right. Just like 06-07. Some way this team reminds me of that team. Every player compliments the team perfectly.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  IMO I don't think things have to go perfectly right for 8. We just need chemistry. To get a high seed than 8 than everything has to right. Just like 06-07. Some way this team reminds me of that team. Every player compliments the team perfectly.
                  I agree with that.

I think that so much is up in the air right now with so many teams in the East. A team like Philly for example, can be very good this year, or simply horrible, even if everyone stays healthy.

Ultimately, if we play as a unit and stick to the role cards (which DC gave out to every player at the start of last year), I think that is all we need. It is much different than last year where we simply did not have the talent to compete over the whole season.

Comment

I certainly think playoffs should be the realistic goal for the Raptors this season. I'm done with dealing with lowered expectations, I think it's time that BC, DC and the players are all held accountable.

Here is how I would breakdown teams in the East:

Sure Thing
                    - Miami
                    - Indiana

Probable
                    - Boston
                    - New York

Likely
                    - Chicago
                    - Brooklyn
                    - Philadelphia
                    - Atlanta
                    --> Toronto would have to beat out a team from this group to make the playoffs, even assuming that none of the "unlikely" teams jump up into the "likely" group

Unlikely
                    - Milwaukee
                    - Washington
                    - Cleveland
                    - Detroit
                    - Orlando

No Chance
                    - Charlotte

Ultimately, I think Chicago & Atlanta will benefit from playing in much weaker divisions, meaning 6 spots are set.

That leaves 2 spots up for grabs. Toronto will have to fight Brooklyn, Philadelphia and any other suprise teams for the #7 and #8 spots.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Aug 13th, 2012, 01:44 PM.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I certainly think playoffs should be the realistic goal for the Raptors this season. I'm done with dealing with lowered expectations, I think it's time that BC, DC and the players are all held accountable.

Here is how I would breakdown teams in the East:

Sure Thing
                      - Miami
                      - Indiana

Probable
                      - Boston
                      - New York

Likely
                      - Chicago
                      - Brooklyn
                      - Philadelphia
                      - Atlanta
                      --> Toronto would have to beat out a team from this group to make the playoffs, even assuming that none of the "unlikely" teams jump up into the "likely" group

Unlikely
                      - Milwaukee
                      - Washington
                      - Cleveland
                      - Detroit
                      - Orlando

No Chance
                      - Charlotte
                      Milwakee should be in the likely list.

Raps in the unlikely.

Brookyln in the probables

Cleveland, orlando and detroit on the no chance list

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        - Bargnani has to stay healthy for at least 70 games.
                        - Calderon can't show any effect of being demoted (which sort of plays into the chemistry idea).
                        - Valanciunas/Ross need to be contributing solid minutes by the end of the year
                        - Landry has to return to his rookie form
                        - Kleiza's knee needs to remain strong coming off the Olympics
                        - Lowry needs to prove no ill-effects remain from his injury
                        - Casey needs to drastically improve the offensive structure
                        - etc.

I can't confidently say that any of the above are guarantees, but it's easy to see the season going south if any of the above don't happen.

Chemistry is a big deal...I definitely agree with that, especially with so many new faces. But for a team that lacks elite/superstar talent, a LOT has to go our way to make the playoffs.
                        Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Aug 13th, 2012, 02:27 PM.

Comment

- Calderon can't show any effect of being demoted (which sort of plays into the chemistry idea).
                          - etc.

Chemistry is a big deal...I definitely agree with that, especially with so many new faces. But for a team that lacks elite/superstar talent, a LOT has to go our way to make the playoffs.
                          The same thing can be said about Phili,

Bynum must stay healthy
                          Jason Richardson has to get back to playing like he did a few years ago
                          Thad young has to be able to deal with starter minutes (they have no other real PF)

so just as much as a lot of things have to go the raptors way the same can be said about the teams we will be fighting with for that 8th seed

Comment

MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
                            The same thing can be said about Phili,

Bynum must stay healthy
                            Jason Richardson has to get back to playing like he did a few years ago
                            Thad young has to be able to deal with starter minutes (they have no other real PF)

so just as much as a lot of things have to go the raptors way the same can be said about the teams we will be fighting with for that 8th seed
                            Yup, there's no denying that.

But it doesn't make it less true from a Raptor perspective.

Comment

- etc.

We don't have a so called superstar. Neither does Denver but, that team has amazing chemistry. That's why chemistry is that much important. We've seen it before that chemistry trumps talent. We have the talent and depth needed to compete in this conference.
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                              X