Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Predicting stats for next season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Predicting stats for next season

    I know this might not be our final roster but there is always reason to predict and speculate.
    So this is my prediction on stats for the team as it stands:

    5's & 4's
    Aaron Gray 3.1 PPG 4.8 RPG 0.5 BPG
    Amir Johnson 7.5 PPG 6.4 RPG 1.1 BPG
    Andrea Bargnani 23.8 PPG 5.8 RPG 0.3 BPG
    Ed Davis 5.1 PPG 6.1 RPG 0.8 BPG
    Jonas Valanciunas 6.6 PPG 7.2 RPG 1.2 BPG
    Quincy Acy 2.4 PPG 4.2 RPG 0.3 BPG

    3's & 2's
    Alan Anderson 3.2 PPG 1.6 RPG 1.5 APG
    Demar Derozan 18.5 PPG 3.3 RPG 2.2 APG
    Landry Fields 8.3 PPG 4.9 RPG 1.9 APG
    Linas Kleiza 9.1 PPG 3.5 RPG 1.7 APG
    Terrence Ross 7.2 PPG 3.0 RPG 2.1 APG

    1's
    John Lucas III 2.3 PPG 2.8 APG 0.3 SPG
    Jose Calderon 7.3 PPG 6.4 APG 0.7 SPG
    Kyle Lowry 12.1 PPG 8.1 APG 1.6 SPG

    Stats don't tell the whole story. But it's fun speculating (well at least for me it is).
    Agree/disagree with my stats? Can't be bothered? Think it's stupid?
    Join in, debate and let's predict some stats!
    Last edited by flamingtimbits; Mon Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 PM.

  • #2
    Just for perspective, you have us averaging 116.5 pts/game next year.

    We averaged just 90.7 pts/game last year (3rd worst). The Nuggets led the league at 104.1 pts/game.

    Comment


    • #3
      Nilanka, you're assuming every single one of those players play every single game.

      Comment


      • #4
        Calderon has averaged around 8-9 APG over the course of his career...that number will definitely go down if he is demoted to full-time backup PG
        Twitter - @thekid_it

        Comment


        • #5
          Marz wrote: View Post
          Nilanka, you're assuming every single one of those players play every single game.
          Nope. Just adding averages. Individual players' PPG adds up to a team's PPG. That's how the math always works.

          Comment


          • #6
            Pts/game scored by a team and total pts/game by all players aren't equal no?

            Comment


            • #7
              flamingtimbits wrote: View Post
              Pts/game scored by a team and total pts/game by all players aren't equal no?
              If we're talking averages, they definitely equal.

              Comment


              • #8
                If we have a hypothetical team consisting of just 5 players who all average 20 ppg, their team will average 100 ppg throughout the course of the season.

                The same logic applies to the OP, but with 14 players instead of 5.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Actually, I think I'm wrong. The numbers would have to be adjusted per 48 minutes, for the individual PPGs and team PPGs to equal (I think)...

                  I stand corrected.
                  Last edited by Nilanka; Mon Aug 13, 2012, 04:48 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If the team has 5 players and if they play in every game then yes. But this won't be the case. Not everyone will play in every game. Let's say there are 6 players: 5 averaging 20 ppg and 1 averaging 5 ppg. Then if and when 4 players averaging 20 ppg and the one averaging 5 ppg played in a match, wouldn't that account to 85 points only?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                      Calderon has averaged around 8-9 APG over the course of his career...that number will definitely go down if he is demoted to full-time backup PG
                      I meant for his APG to decrease but for some reason I actually thought Caldy was averaging 10+ APG!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        flamingtimbits wrote: View Post
                        If the team has 5 players and if they play in every game then yes. But this won't be the case. Not everyone will play in every game. Let's say there are 6 players: 5 averaging 20 ppg and 1 averaging 5 ppg. Then if and when 4 players averaging 20 ppg and the one averaging 5 ppg played in a match, wouldn't that account to 85 points only?
                        Well, in this case 85 points is just 1 game, not an average for the whole season.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          Well, in this case 85 points is just 1 game, not an average for the whole season.
                          Let's say the hypothetical season only has 3 games. They scored 85 points in the first game. In the next game they score 100 points with those 5 players, then all 6 players play in the final game, which means they score 105 points. That will tally to 290 points scored in the season, and an average of 96.7 ppg scored by the team not 105 ppg

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            Nope. Just adding averages. Individual players' PPG adds up to a team's PPG. That's how the math always works.
                            Glad you admitted to being wrong, because math only "always works" that way when you make incorrect assumptions.

                            Your mistake was in assuming that every player would play every single one of the 82 games. I highly doubt that has ever happened in the history of the NBA.

                            Just one quick tally of last season's averages would point out your mistake. 90.7 average PPG for the entire team, yet if you add up all the players' PPG, you'd have 141.7 PPG. Even if you take out guys like Anderson, Dentmon, Carter and Butler, it's still way over 90.7. There's no need to create hypos, making it more difficult than it really is, because the answer is right there in front of you guys.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              flamingtimbits wrote: View Post
                              I know this might not be our final roster but there is always reason to predict and speculate.
                              So this is my prediction on stats for the team as it stands:

                              5's & 4's
                              Aaron Gray 3.1 PPG 4.8 RPG 0.5 BPG
                              Amir Johnson 7.5 PPG 6.4 RPG 1.1 BPG
                              Andrea Bargnani 23.8 PPG 5.8 RPG 0.3 BPG
                              Ed Davis 5.1 PPG 6.1 RPG 0.8 BPG
                              Jonas Valanciunas 6.6 PPG 7.2 RPG 1.2 BPG
                              Quincy Acy 2.4 PPG 4.2 RPG 0.3 BPG

                              3's & 2's
                              Alan Anderson 3.2 PPG 1.6 RPG 1.5 APG
                              Demar Derozan 18.5 PPG 3.3 RPG 2.2 APG
                              Landry Fields 8.3 PPG 4.9 RPG 1.9 APG
                              Linas Kleiza 9.1 PPG 3.5 RPG 1.7 APG
                              Terrence Ross 7.2 PPG 3.0 RPG 2.1 APG

                              1's
                              John Lucas III 2.3 PPG 2.8 APG 0.3 SPG
                              Jose Calderon 7.3 PPG 9.4 APG 0.7 SPG
                              Kyle Lowry 12.1 PPG 8.1 APG 1.6 SPG

                              Stats don't tell the whole story. But it's fun speculating (well at least for me it is).
                              Agree/disagree with my stats? Can't be bothered? Think it's stupid?
                              Join in, debate and let's predict some stats!
                              I estimated Andrea to have a rebound or two better, and Kyle Lowry to be a 16 point scorer.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X