Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early look at the ROY chances for the Raptors rookies...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Apollo
    replied
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Better defender than Anthony Davis? That's high praise for JV.
    Not in terms of raw talent but keep in mind JV has been defending grown men while Anthony Davis has been defending kids.

    Leave a comment:


  • MyTEAM4Life
    replied
    tucas wrote: View Post
    there is no way lillard gets numbers that high. He'll be lucky if he gets more than 5 apg.
    Lilliard will start and be the PG - which means he is the primary ball handler, also he is good (there is no denying that) the problem is how good will he be in his first NBA year - and 7 apg is a realistic number for a chris paul type of player
    Also what people probably have forgotten is that Lillard was a senior out of college meaning he has experience and will probably acclimate faster to the NBA than the one and done rookies.

    Leave a comment:


  • tucas
    replied
    MyTEAM4Life wrote: View Post
    First Teir
    -Damian Lillard - He can flat out play, he can shoot, drive, pass, but he has 2 established NBA scorers on his team that will require the majority of touches - so look for 12-15 ppg and 7-10 apg

    Everyone else who could possible be ROY are scorers - and thus they wont have a chance because i doubt any of them will average enough points to beat out Davis or Lillard
    there is no way lillard gets numbers that high. He'll be lucky if he gets more than 5 apg.

    Leave a comment:


  • Axel
    replied
    [QUOTE=MyTEAM4Life;150949]First Teir
    -Damian Lillard - so look for 12-15 ppg and 7-10 apg


    Those look like ROY numbers to me. This year's crop is also heavy with guys with upside and very few polished prospects.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mediumcore
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Depends on how much one values the blocked shot
    I value the ability to block shots highly when you can block them from the bench

    In all seriousness though he does so much more than block shots.

    Leave a comment:


  • MyTEAM4Life
    replied
    First Teir
    -Anthony Davis - NBA will hype him up, he will have minutes, and he actually has defensive skill -problem is that he has no passing points guard to bump up his scoring average, meaning he might end up with 10 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 7-10 points per game - especially with Rivers, Gordon, & Ryan Anderson all to happy to shoot
    -Damian Lillard - He can flat out play, he can shoot, drive, pass, but he has 2 established NBA scorers on his team that will require the majority of touches - so look for 12-15 ppg and 7-10 apg
    -JV - If he starts he will put up some numbers, bargnani and lowry should draw double teams which allows JV to be at his best as a hustle role player - if he puts up 10 and 7 and 1 and we make the playoffs he will be in the discussion for ROY (even more so if the raptors have a high defensive rating
    -MKG - he might actually be able to put up 12-15 ppg, 2-5 apg, and 3-7 rpg - and with those stats he might get in the discussion

    Everyone else who could possible be ROY are scorers - and thus they wont have a chance because i doubt any of them will average enough points to beat out Davis or Lillard

    Leave a comment:


  • ceez
    replied
    i don't think either rap rookie is gonna really be in contention for the award

    Leave a comment:


  • Nilanka
    replied
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Better defender than Anthony Davis? That's high praise for JV.
    Depends on how much one values the blocked shot

    Leave a comment:


  • Mediumcore
    replied
    Apollo wrote: View Post
    Ross has a lot more competition for minutes than JV. JV will get his, Ross needs to battle DeRozan, who should be extra motivated to prove something now that Colangelo drafted a player high who most people assume will play DD's position. Then he also has to worry about Fields and Kleiza eating up minutes on the wing. Heck, I could see the Raptors rolling with Lowry and Calderon at times. Kind of like when they used to run it with Ford and Calderon. It's a great way to snap a scoring funk.

    JV has a legit shot at ROY IF he can keep his fouls down. A lot of kids coming from Europe have problems with it because you can get away with a lot more overseas. The other IF will be how the voters value the rookies because JV won't have the nicest fantasy stats out of the group but he could be the best defender out of the gate to go along with solid numbers.
    Better defender than Anthony Davis? That's high praise for JV.

    Leave a comment:


  • wallz
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Agreed with your point on scoring. It's not like voting is done by a panel of experienced, basketball intellectuals. We're talking about dumbass announcers and media members. YAY POINTS!!!
    And flashy plays. They won't exactly drool over Jonas' hard fought offensive rebounds LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • Nilanka
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    JV has very little chance. Other than Mike Miller, I don't recall any ROY in the past 10-15 years averaging less than 15PPG, and JV won't get anywhere near that. The judging is tilted heavily towards scorers. Unfortunately, they don't usually value the type of intangibles that JV brings.

    I'd say it's a 3-way race between Beal, Lillard & Davis.
    Agreed with your point on scoring. It's not like voting is done by a panel of experienced, basketball intellectuals. We're talking about dumbass announcers and media members. YAY POINTS!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • golden
    replied
    JV has very little chance. Other than Mike Miller, I don't recall any ROY in the past 10-15 years averaging less than 15PPG, and JV won't get anywhere near that. The judging is tilted heavily towards scorers. Unfortunately, they don't usually value the type of intangibles that JV brings.

    I'd say it's a 3-way race between Beal, Lillard & Davis.
    Last edited by golden; Wed Aug 15, 2012, 12:43 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Letter N
    replied
    Early Vegas Lines

    Anthony Davis (NO) 6/5
    Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (CHA) 7/1
    Bradley Beal (WAS) 19/2
    Harrison Barnes (GSW) 19/2
    Thomas Robinson (SAC) 19/2
    Jonas Valanciunas (TOR) 10/1
    Dion Waiters (CLE) 20/1
    John Henson (MIL) 25/1
    Kendall Marshall (PHO) 25/1
    Marquis Teague (CHI) 25/1
    Royce White (HOU) 25/1
    Andre Drummond (DET) 30/1
    Austin Rivers (NO) 30/1
    Damian Lillard (POR) 30/1
    Jeremy Lamb (HOU) 30/1
    Jared Sullinger (BOS) 30/1
    Maurice Harkless (PHI) 30/1
    Tyler Zeller (CLE) 30/1
    Terrence Ross (TOR) 35/1
    Donatas Motiejunas (HOU) 40/1
    Andrew Nicholson (ORL) 40/1
    John Jenkins (ATL) 40/1
    Meyers Leonard (POR) 40/1


    Lillard would be a good value bet. Beal as well. Long shots that might pay if shit goes crazy would be Motiejunas and Nicholson and Teague, just because of the situation they find themselves in, if they're good they could all play a lot of minutes.

    Leave a comment:


  • Apollo
    replied
    Ross has a lot more competition for minutes than JV. JV will get his, Ross needs to battle DeRozan, who should be extra motivated to prove something now that Colangelo drafted a player high who most people assume will play DD's position. Then he also has to worry about Fields and Kleiza eating up minutes on the wing. Heck, I could see the Raptors rolling with Lowry and Calderon at times. Kind of like when they used to run it with Ford and Calderon. It's a great way to snap a scoring funk.

    JV has a legit shot at ROY IF he can keep his fouls down. A lot of kids coming from Europe have problems with it because you can get away with a lot more overseas. The other IF will be how the voters value the rookies because JV won't have the nicest fantasy stats out of the group but he could be the best defender out of the gate to go along with solid numbers.

    Leave a comment:


  • omgsomuchpotential
    replied
    As much as it pains me to say it, I don't think JV will even be in consideration for ROY (even D-Mo has more chance). It's so much harder for a big man to become ROY, their maturing seems to take much longer.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X