Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early look at the ROY chances for the Raptors rookies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel
    replied
    theycallmeZZ wrote: View Post
    Whoever made the front page description of this thread...

JV has a chance to be the first Raptor since Vince Carter to win ROY.
    Funnily enough, it was the moderators to write the title when it got moved into "Hot Threads"

Leave a comment:

• theycallmeZZ
    replied
    Whoever made the front page description of this thread...
    Let's take a look at this year's crop of rookies and see if fans think Jonas Valanciunas stands a solid chance to be the first Raptor since Damon Stoudamire to win the honor.

JV has a chance to be the first Raptor since Vince Carter to win ROY.

Leave a comment:

• BallaBalla
    replied
    I keep saying this over and over....JV will have an impact, but we won;t see his true value for maybe 3 years if we're lucky..I just don't see how he finishes even in the top 8 of ROY voting this year realistically, with so many great rookies this year playing on bad teams

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Frankly I'm a little surprised that he got two votes for ROY. So that is 2 votes out of the 95 cast. I guess not so surprising that 2 out of 95 would go his way. there's always outliers. Maybe maybe more surprised that he tied with Barnes and Beals. I wouldn't have put them in the same category as him, but then they are not talking about eventual success, they are talking about results this season. So I guess it makes more sense.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    ESPN just posted their first analysis of 2012-13 ROY candidates... Valanciunas was tied for 4th most likely, with Beal & Barnes, after Davis, Lillard & MKG

LINK: http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/82...st-rookie-year

Leave a comment:

• Sam17
    replied
    ebrian wrote: View Post
    I'd expect it. Is your little brother in the NBA? Blake Griffin averaged 23/12 in his first full year in the NBA and didn't have nearly as high expectations going into his first season as Anthony Davis does. I'd be surprised if Davis averages less than 15/10 this season. On the other hand I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Valanciunas averages that in his 2nd year in the NBA.
    Blake did have some pretty high expectations though, but I doubt anthony davis' stats will be anything close to Griffin's rookie year.

Leave a comment:

• ebrian
    replied
    RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
    I agree, if anything, are we also expecting Anthony Davis to average 20/10 in his first year? My little brother could probably defend him in the post.
    I'd expect it. Is your little brother in the NBA? Blake Griffin averaged 23/12 in his first full year in the NBA and didn't have nearly as high expectations going into his first season as Anthony Davis does. I'd be surprised if Davis averages less than 15/10 this season. On the other hand I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Valanciunas averages that in his 2nd year in the NBA.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Draft position means nothing for ROY talk. Some players are just ready to go and others aren't. JV may have a better career than some of the guys drafted below him, but he won't have a better first season. Guys like Beal, Lillard, Waiters, Davis, Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist all have a better chance of having a better rookie season than JV. Most big men (European ones notwithstanding) take longer to develop.
    Totally agree. It will be nearly impossible for JV or Ross to get enough playing time and have significant enough impact to compare with what some of those players will accomplish this season. We all know that scoring tends to be given preference for ROY voting most of the time and all those players are going to be spoon-fed playing time and opportunity to score, especially Davis, Beal, MKG and Barnes.

Robinson could be a darkhorse if Sacramento is an improved team and he meshes well with Cousins, to form a dominant front court at both ends of the court.

However, I don't think any player will have the opportunity, let alone be showcased, the way Davis will. I think the ROY is his to lose.

Leave a comment:

• Sam17
    replied
    Draft position means nothing for ROY talk. Some players are just ready to go and others aren't. JV may have a better career than some of the guys drafted below him, but he won't have a better first season. Guys like Beal, Lillard, Waiters, Davis, Barnes and Kidd-Gilchrist all have a better chance of having a better rookie season than JV. Most big men (European ones notwithstanding) take longer to develop.
    I agree, I really don't think either one of the Raptors rookies will be in the ROY discussion. JV really doesn't seem like he's going to come in and put up big numbers especially cause of how raw he is offensively and his lack of post game. He gets a lot of his points off alley-oops and tip ins. He's the consensus #2 player because of potential, not because he's expected to make an immediate impact in my opinion. And Terrence Ross probably won't get the required minutes to be in the ROY race.

Davis, Lillard, Beal, and Kidd-Gilchrist have the best chance at it.

Leave a comment:

• ebrian
    replied
    BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
    "ROY talk sounds crazy to me."

The kid is a consensus #2 player if in this year's draft.

I don't think its crazy to think he'll be considered!

Leave a comment:

• BallaBalla
    replied
    Why doesn't anyone like MKG to win? If he plays 75 + games this year, the fact that he is on the bobcats and the way he plays his position, he could pile on the stats.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    BCsMaBoi wrote: View Post
    He may not get to here but he will get stronger! He's already added some muscle from his U17 days - I think I've seen him listed at 250 recently.

The Raps strength and conditioning guy (McKechnie) is probably the best in the NBA.
    McKechnie was recently with LA before coming with us. LA has had some of the best staff in the recent decade.

Leave a comment:

• StaytheCourse
    replied
    omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    I really hope he manages to fill up like this until his 4th/5th season, so he could dominate.

He may not get to here but he will get stronger! He's already added some muscle from his U17 days - I think I've seen him listed at 250 recently.

The Raps strength and conditioning guy (McKechnie) is probably the best in the NBA.

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    Nah man, let's just hope he fills up!

Some more eye-candy

*sigh* It was good while it lasted.

Leave a comment:

• omgsomuchpotential
    replied
    Some more eye-candy