Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Raptors season preview - hoopsworld.com

http://www.hoopsworld.com/2012-2013-...eason-preview/

Since you guys seem to take caution on what Brotherston says, I'm gonna quote everything NOT said by him.

Every time the Toronto Raptors have spent four seasons in the lottery, they have returned to the post season and it looks like it could happen again. While Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo’s last four lottery draft picks have generated a fair amount of buzz and controversy, it’s the acquisition of two starters from teams that finished ahead of them over the past couple of years that give them hope for next season.

HOOPSWORLD takes a look at the 2012-2013 Toronto Raptors:

Five Guys Think…
    There’s a lot of hope and optimism surrounding the Toronto Raptors right now. It’s not baseless as they’ve had a productive offseason. They didn’t lose much. What they did lose, they made upgrades in their place with Jonas Valanciunas, Kyle Lowry, Landry Fields, John Lucas, Terrence Ross, and Quincy Acy coming aboard. With them the team is much better assembled to play head coach Dwane Casey’s style of basketball. Although their 23-43 record last year didn’t show it, they made some key improvements under Casey’s guidance. If they can build on those while the new players get quickly acclimated, a run at a lower seed in the playoffs is quite possible. However, they play in the deepest division in basketball. Every team in it is better than they are, but that doesn’t mean they still can’t be in the top eight in the East.

5th Place – Atlantic Division

– Yannis Koutroupis

This is the season Toronto Raptors fans have been waiting for since 2007-08, the last time the team made the playoffs. Actually, this might be the year Raptors fans have been waiting for since their founding in 1995, as this year’s team could be the best ever assembled. This year Dwane Casey will have a full training camp, and in that camp he will have a full complement of healthy players, including the highly-anticipated Jonas Valanciunas, incoming point guard Kyle Lowry, and freshman swingman Terrence Ross. Competition for minutes will be fierce, and once this team takes the court they will be even fiercer. They play in the toughest division in the NBA, but if all goes well the Raptors will make their triumphant return to postseason play, regardless.

– Bill Ingram

The Toronto Raptors had a very busy offseason. After winning just 23 games last season, the Raptors added a number of key contributors such as Kyle Lowry, Jonas Valanciunas, Terrence Ross, Landry Fields and John Lucas III in an effort to make a playoff push. Toronto has the talent to compete for one of the final playoff spots in the Eastern Conference, but their success will depend on whether they can develop chemistry and get through the transition period that comes with adding so many significant pieces. The Raptors play in the arguably the toughest division in the league, but they’ll likely be in the playoff hunt for much of the season. The Raptors are very optimistic heading into this season and they’ve made it very clear that they want to be a playoff team. It’s possible and the team is certainly heading in the right direction.

– Alex Kennedy

The Atlantic Division looks like the toughest division in basketball next season, with five teams that have a legitimate shot at making the postseason. Toronto might be the least likely in the eyes of some, but I’m of the belief that Kyle Lowry will make a huge difference in that starting lineup, and the addition of Rookie of the Year candidate Jonas Valanciunas will also mark a turning point for this organization. Dwayne Casey is a really good coach, and unlike last year, he could actually have the players he needs to make a serious run at the postseason.

4th Place – Atlantic Division

– Joel Brigham

There is a genuine reason for Raptors fans to be optimistic heading into the 2013 season. The team has stockpiled a plethora of young capable talent on its roster and as a result the team’s chemistry amongst its core can rival most teams in the league. The arrival of talented point guard Kyle Lowry and rookie big man Jonas Valanciunas gives the team even more talent on the depth chart at head coach Dwane Casey’s disposal. The team should remain relevant in the playoff mix for much of the season before falling just short, which should make anticipation for the 2014 campaign worth the wait for Raptors fans.

4th Place – Atlantic Division

– Lang Greene
    What Needs To Be Said On Opening Day….
    For too long, this franchise has been associated with uncommitted defensive play. Last season we made major strides in this area. I am counting some of our longer tenured guys, Andrea and Jose, to continue to set the tone for a commitment to defense in Toronto. Our returning players, along with Kyle and Landry, give us new pieces to continue our improvement. We don’t have three superstars to carry our offense, so we need to bring a blue collar attitude on the defensive end in order to see playoff basketball. This past season, we finished 12th defense. This year, our goal is the top eight. Let’s take the next step and bring playoff basketball back to Toronto.

– Anthony Macri and Brett Koremenos
    Last edited by theycallmeZZ; Thu Sep 13, 2012, 02:39 PM.
    TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

I had been waiting for this for a while. It's good to see some high praise for Toronto this season. Good read

Comment

If everything pans out, this just might be the best raptor team assembled. 7th or 8th in the east.

Comment

Lang and Joel did not go consensus. going with the crowd is always the easy route.

I think/hope Philly flops and Raps finish fourth.

All five Atlantic teams getting in is highly unlikely.

Comment

What Needs To Be Said On Opening Day…. I am counting some of our longer tenured guys, Andrea and Jose, to continue to set the tone for a commitment to defense in Toronto.
          How can the two semi-reputable fans/journos identified by name at the bottom of the quote (who even refer to the team as "we" and "our") stand by this statement?

Having watched Andrea and Jose play for the Raps their entire careers, to count on them to set the team's defensive tone is wrong and ignorant of their skills and abilities.

Rather, they will be foremost be counted on to spark the team's weak offensive production, especially with the second unit.
          RR OG

Comment

I don't think anyone is expecting this team to come close to the franchise record 47-win mark. Therefore, how could they be (potentially) considered the best Raptor team ever assembled? It doesn't make sense.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
              I don't think anyone is expecting this team to come close to the franchise record 47-win mark. Therefore, how could they be (potentially) considered the best Raptor team ever assembled? It doesn't make sense.
              If the key players have a few years to play together. Lowry and JV - first year playing with the others, you don't expect optimum. Same team members after three years could exceed the 47 mark. (Not expecting it).

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                If the key players have a few years to play together. Lowry and JV - first year playing with the others, you don't expect optimum. Same team members after three years could exceed the 47 mark. (Not expecting it).
                I was interpreting the comment to be restricted to this season only. But if we're talking long-term, I suppose there's "best ever" potential (with a few extra pieces added).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Lang and Joel did not go consensus. going with the crowd is always the easy route.

I think/hope Philly flops and Raps finish fourth.

All five Atlantic teams getting in is highly unlikely.
                  I'm hoping its NY that flops.

It won't be easy without Shumpert (for the first few months), Fields or Lin. They are relying on a PG tandem of Felton and JKidd.. how old is JKidd now? And is Felton still fat?

Plus I really hate Knicks fans.. so watching their team lose is just fun.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    Hopefully we still have Lowry after three years.. remember he can bolt after two.

Comment

I expect 47 wins
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                        I'm hoping its NY that flops.

It won't be easy without Shumpert (for the first few months), Fields or Lin. They are relying on a PG tandem of Felton and JKidd.. how old is JKidd now? And is Felton still fat?

Plus I really hate Knicks fans.. so watching their team lose is just fun.
                        Actually, if I could clarify, I hope Brooklyn or NY flop but think Philly is most likely.

Comment

Im surprised by the comment "possibly best raptors team ever assembled" statement. That's high praise indeed. If this team could surpass our amazing 2001-2002 team, then the future looks bright. Gotta admit though all the pre-season hype is getting me excited...
                          Peace. Positivity. Prosperity.

Comment

I say we consult a witch doctor, see what can be done about Bynum's ankles.
                            Sometimes I hate being in the Atlantic, now that teams other than Boston are doing well.

Comment

COUGH, I am, COUGH

Comment

Working...
                              X