• Show
Clear All

• New-look Raptors won't make playoffs

http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012...n_no_playoffs/

I think they will make the playoff with a record 45-37

mcsemcp73 wrote: View Post
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/fanfuel/2012...n_no_playoffs/

I think they will make the playoff with a record 45-37
    Wow. That is optimistic. Puts them in the 5-6 seed.

I am 50/50 on making the playoffs and if they do I expect 8 seed and likely 38-41 wins.

I am not intending to be antagonistic here. Just sharing an opinion. I truly hope you are correct.

Comment

I would absolutely love to make the playoffs and even have a sniff at home court in the first round. But please explain how adding Lowry, Ross, Acy, and Big Val creates a jump in our winning percentage by 20%
      Last edited by NoBan; Tue Oct 2, 2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

NoBan wrote: View Post
        I would absolutely love to make the playoffs and even have a sniff at home court in the first round. But please explain how adding Lowry, Ross, Acy, and Big Val creates a jump in our winning percentage by 20%
        its funy you dont consider just the fact that ab is healtly and for the first time he didn play for italy so yes if you put a healty ab
        (whom the team was 1 game below .500 with and u add lowry and field wow.)

its sample u change calderon and rasual butler and replace them with lowry and fields plus u got calderon of the bench humm
        yes i believe)

Comment

I think the consensus that all fans reached about last season is that we played .500 ball last year with a healthy Bargnani and that we could have finished with that 0.500 record by the end of the year with all our players being/reamining healthy.

Luckily, or not, we did have the injuries that sidelined Bargnani, LK and others for extended periods of time, which resulted in us being in a position to draft Ross, make a move for Lowry and also JV is here. We should also expect improvement from Bargnani, DeRozan, Kleiza and some other guys like Ed Davis...

With all of that in mind, all of the improvements, full training camp, and provided all our players remain healthy for most of the season, I really don't see why we shouldn't be able to play 0.500 ball, even when taking into account that the east has gotten much stronger this year.

I really do not expect us to reach higher though than an 8th spot in the east, but this also means that we're targeting somewhere between 37-43 wins. (I think the top 6 teams in the east will take a lot of W's from the remaining teams). Everything below 34 wins for Raps will be considered a disappointment, I guess, and will result in a 11th spot or so... Everything above 41 wins will be great for us and should guarantee a playoff berth. Getting more than 43 wins, would be considered an extra-ordinary turnaround for our franchise.

Comment

I'm a terrible gambler but I'm saying the Raptors will have a record of 39-43. Not sure if that will qualify them for the playoff (I hope it does) but they'll be in the hunt.

Comment

Number one thing for the team, is still continuing to develop guys and continue to build their progress individually, and continuing to push the 'pound the rock' culture.

If the team barely misses the playoffs, I will be a little disappointed, but knowing this team has made progress.

Building from year to year. This team will be VERY entertaining, and not like in the past where we were good to watch offensively, cringe-worthy defensively, but both ends will be fun to watch.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Leading up to last season, I think most people would've been surprised to hear that the Raptors would win 23 games. Most of us had realistic expectations of a top 3 pick. Yet somehow, someway, Casey got the team to overachieve.

This year, I'm sure a lot of the optimists are relying on that same "Casey effect" to continue. Perhaps this team is only good enough to win 30 games on paper. But add in Casey's influence, and maybe we sneak out one extra win per month, which would put us in an interesting stretch of meaningful games to close out the regular season.

Comment

Here is a crazy idea

Why not wait and enjoy some basketball without putting a nail in the coffin. It looks like we are gonna have an entertaining season and to sit here day after day and contemplate what they may or may not do is pointless, its tiresome and really every year this is why we watch cause we don't know.

I'm excited. 6 days. NBA basketball. Its gonna be fun. Enjoy it.

Comment

imaginelino wrote: View Post
                    Why not wait and enjoy some basketball without putting a nail in the coffin. It looks like we are gonna have an entertaining season and to sit here day after day and contemplate what they may or may not do is pointless, its tiresome and really every year this is why we watch cause we don't know.

I'm excited. 6 days. NBA basketball. Its gonna be fun. Enjoy it.
                    There's a reason there are forums on the internet. To discuss what a team will/will not do. What a team can/should//shouldn't/cannot do. Must I elaborate.

Although I agree with your point of just enjoy a team that will be entertaining, but I'm just making a counter
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
                      I think the consensus that all fans reached about last season is that we played .500 ball last year with a healthy Bargnani and that we could have finished with that 0.500 record by the end of the year with all our players being/reamining healthy.

Luckily, or not, we did have the injuries that sidelined Bargnani, LK and others for extended periods of time, which resulted in us being in a position to draft Ross, make a move for Lowry and also JV is here. We should also expect improvement from Bargnani, DeRozan, Kleiza and some other guys like Ed Davis...

With all of that in mind, all of the improvements, full training camp, and provided all our players remain healthy for most of the season, I really don't see why we shouldn't be able to play 0.500 ball, even when taking into account that the east has gotten much stronger this year.

I really do not expect us to reach higher though than an 8th spot in the east, but this also means that we're targeting somewhere between 37-43 wins. (I think the top 6 teams in the east will take a lot of W's from the remaining teams). Everything below 34 wins for Raps will be considered a disappointment, I guess, and will result in a 11th spot or so... Everything above 41 wins will be great for us and should guarantee a playoff berth. Getting more than 43 wins, would be considered an extra-ordinary turnaround for our franchise.
                      We played sub .500 ball (close, but not quite) when AB was healthy AND playing better than he ever had before. It was also at the very outset of a messed up season so, IMO, results should be taken with a grain of salt. You can say the same about the finish of the year when AB was playing hurt and rusty and weak. Average it out and you end up with a better than expected but still crappy Raps squad.

That being said, this team is much improved, at least on paper. If everything breaks our way we make the playoffs as a low seed. This means good bargs is here to stay, derozan gets to the line and stops being a sieve on d, Landry picks his game back up, Linas picks his game back up, Ross and vala adapt to the L quickly and are effective off the bat, chemistry isn't an issue, amir and Jose become that bad ass PnR tandem, Ed finally steps up and Casey figures out an effective offensive scheme. This is what I want to happen.

That's asking a lot. Most likely the rooks will have as many downs as ups, injuries will always be a factor (bargs/Lowry/Amir are worrisome) 3 point shooting will still be a big question mark, fields will be somewhere between y1 and y2, Ed will still be Ed, kleiza will still be a tweener with great games mixed in around mostly m'eh games and a lack of an upper tier all star type will still be a huge hurdle. If that happens we may still squeak into 8th depending on atl/chi and unforeseen injuries in Boston, Indy or NYK but should at least be in the mix of troublesome teams on the bubble. This is what I think will happen.

If the raps break bad, and that is every bit as possible as breaking good, we get another great pick in a bad draft. Oh god I hope this doesn't happen.
                      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                        If the raps break bad, and that is every bit as possible as breaking good, we get another great pick in a bad draft. Oh god I hope this doesn't happen.
                        Actually that pick will go to Houston unless it's a top 3 pick. Missing the playoffs and being the 4th/5th/6th/7th worst team is probably worst case scenario in my opinion.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          Actually that pick will go to Houston unless it's a top 3 pick. Missing the playoffs and being the 4th/5th/6th/7th worst team is probably worst case scenario in my opinion.
                          Disagree, this'd potentially be a great year to give Houston the pick as the early predictions have it to be a weak draft class. Next year (Wiggins?) would be a better year to get a top draft pick.
                          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
                            We played sub .500 ball (close, but not quite) when AB was healthy AND playing better than he ever had before. It was also at the very outset of a messed up season so, IMO, results should be taken with a grain of salt. You can say the same about the finish of the year when AB was playing hurt and rusty and weak. Average it out and you end up with a better than expected but still crappy Raps squad.

That being said, this team is much improved, at least on paper. If everything breaks our way we make the playoffs as a low seed. This means good bargs is here to stay, derozan gets to the line and stops being a sieve on d, Landry picks his game back up, Linas picks his game back up, Ross and vala adapt to the L quickly and are effective off the bat, chemistry isn't an issue, amir and Jose become that bad ass PnR tandem, Ed finally steps up and Casey figures out an effective offensive scheme. This is what I want to happen.

That's asking a lot. Most likely the rooks will have as many downs as ups, injuries will always be a factor (bargs/Lowry/Amir are worrisome) 3 point shooting will still be a big question mark, fields will be somewhere between y1 and y2, Ed will still be Ed, kleiza will still be a tweener with great games mixed in around mostly m'eh games and a lack of an upper tier all star type will still be a huge hurdle. If that happens we may still squeak into 8th depending on atl/chi and unforeseen injuries in Boston, Indy or NYK but should at least be in the mix of troublesome teams on the bubble. This is what I think will happen.

You are correct that there is as much chance of things going bad, as there is for it to go well this season. The one thing I'm trying to keep in mind is that much like last season we should be able to hang our hats on defense. Casey is a contstant in this equation, so the defense should not change too dramatically. Also, those other teams in our division that don't have our depth like say Philly for example are an injury to a key player away from a lost season. The Rap's on the other hand can afford to lose any single key player from the roster and shouldn't really miss a step. Defense and depth are the two key factors imo to making the playoffs this season.

Comment

As we are composed on paper and taking into account improvements and non-improvements other teams in our conference have made, I'd say between 7 and 10 in the East. However I wouldn't be surprised if they finish with say 45-46 wins. One or both Rookies could surprise us by exceeding expectations.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X