Calderon trade rumor shot down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calderon trade rumor shot down

Apparently there were some rumors going around yesterday concerning Jose and the Lakers:

Jose Calderon was involved in a trade rumour yesterday which would send him to the Los Angeles Lakers. The Toronto Raptors would be receiving Chris Duhon, Steve Blake and Darius Johnson-Odom in that rumoured deal. Calderon’s agent quickly dismissed the rumour, via Marc Stein of ESPN.
    Marc Stein

@ESPNSteinLine
    For those asking about Calderon-to-Lakers Twitter talk today, Calderon's agent Mark Bartelstein says: "There's absolutely nothing to it."
    Seeing as there is nothing to it, all we can do is analyze what kind of value Calderon supposedly has.
    “Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.”
    ― John Wooden

I am glad. The Raps should not trade him (unless a star SF is involved).

With him leading the second unit, we will be a much better team than if Blake, Duhon, and DJO were supporting the second unit.

The way I see it, we want to win now (playoffs this season, improvement after that), and I think very few reasonable trades can put us in a better position to win now. Keep his expiring contract, resign him to an appropriate one, and use that money for resigning others in the offseason.
    Last edited by Red and White; Sun Oct 14, 2012, 07:40 PM.

Comment

That would have been a terrible deal IMO. I'd prefer we re-sign him at the end of the year, or package him with some other pieces for a star wing. Third option would be letting him walk and gaining all that cap room to be a real player in FA next off-season.

Blake and Duhon are mediocre at best, and it would just leave us with less room to maneuver next year. They certainly aren't what I call assets, unlike Calderon.

I'd like Calderon to retire a Raptor. He's pure class.

Comment

That is one of the worst trades I've ever seen.

Please lord tell me Calderon has more value than that.

Blake and Duhon are owed a combined $7.9M next year.

AWFUL

Comment

If two point guards are involved, the rumoured deal makes no sense. This would leave us with 4 point guards. I don't mind either one, preferably Blake as back-up even if we have to keep him until next season provided there's more to the deal. Talks may have taken place but knowing BC, he would never make such a senseless Trade.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

While Ill certainly admit that this deal sucks .. hopefully it grounds people in what Jose's market value is. I agree this is a little light .. but its not gonna that far off what we will be able to get for him .. not in the Deng/Gay/Granger category with a throw in of Amir or Ed ...

Comment

no one should be surprised, jose's expiring contract, and the fact he would be most effective on an already strong defensive team to make up for his shortcomings, means that contending teams such as the lakers would find him having the most value. as you can see above the contenders don't have jack shit to offer us........

I don't think there is anything wrong with letting his contract expire if a good deal doesn't come up.

Comment

I really don't think he'll be dealt at all until the trade deadline, but then again if JLIII keeps up his stellar backup play then things may be accelerated. But I think it would be wise to hold off until the deadline so his value is increased, for however much that may be.

Comment

mountio wrote: View Post
                  While Ill certainly admit that this deal sucks .. hopefully it grounds people in what Jose's market value is. I agree this is a little light .. but its not gonna that far off what we will be able to get for him .. not in the Deng/Gay/Granger category with a throw in of Amir or Ed ...
                  Some fn anonymous tweet should ground people in anything? Shyt, this twitter world may well destroy more minds than all the drugs in the world, haha. I'm no believer in Jose and spare parts for a near all-star SF, but let's not get carried away with what a tweet tells us, likely from one of the million delusional Laker fans that think they can swing whatever deal they want. Maybe close, but this deal is nothing short of wack.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                    Some fn anonymous tweet should ground people in anything? Shyt, this twitter world may well destroy more minds than all the drugs in the world, haha. I'm no believer in Jose and spare parts for a near all-star SF, but let's not get carried away with what a tweet tells us, likely from one of the million delusional Laker fans that think they can swing whatever deal they want. Maybe close, but this deal is nothing short of wack.
                    I don't think it's too far-fetched to think Jose and parts couldn't net a near star wing player. Get a team stuck in mediocrity that wants to go in a different direction and gain some cap space... ya never know.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                      I don't think it's too far-fetched to think Jose and parts couldn't net a near star wing player. Get a team stuck in mediocrity that wants to go in a different direction and gain some cap space... ya never know.
                      +1 Treadmill teams.
                      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I don't think BC and Co. are limited in options. I think it all depends on what they are willing to take back.

a) A stud player, even a star is not out of the question if they are willing to take back a long term contract. This of course would cripple their long term flexibility. In this case of course they would have to add other valuable pieces or picks.

b) Trade for a pick or two along with a short term contract or two.

c) Let him play the year and let his contract expire.

d) Trade for a TPE only or a TPE and a short term contract. This option I think is the one they are inclined towards as it will help in future flexibility. In this case they will have not only the cap space due to his expiring contract but also the TPE. Something like the Barbosa deal last year.

Depending on what makes most sense, any one of the above cannot be ruled out.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

This belongs in the Raptors Trade Proposal Forum with all those other lopsided trade proposals.

Comment

What a hilarious deal
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

This is just as ridiculous as the rumoured Vujacic $18M offer from earlier this summer...

Funny thing is, we got Fields instead at around the same price!

That being said, Landry Fields>Sasha Vujacic
                              Last edited by theycallmeZZ; Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:55 PM.
                              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

Working...
                              X