Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aren't we stuck in mediocrity?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    akashsingh wrote: View Post
    well it also helps to be realistic when speculating. outside of the milwaukee bucks I can't name many teams with worse cores than us moving forward.
    Atlanta. Outside of Smith, Horford, and Teague, there isn't much potential moving forward. Although, intriguing trio.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

    Comment


    • #17
      RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      Atlanta. Outside of Smith, Horford, and Teague, there isn't much potential moving forward. Although, intriguing trio.
      i didn't write atlanta because smith is a real franchise player you should be able to exploit and build around. i think atlanta got a bunch of players at the same time and they stagnated and will build around smith/horford.

      Comment


      • #18
        Raps are not a mediocre team. They still suck and are a lottery team. No games have been played that matter.

        Now, hypothetically, they reach mediocrity, then no, they are not stuck. Raps still have possible cap space, tradable assets, and internal growth at their disposal.

        Very very premature idea but one I don't agree with right now.

        Comment


        • #19
          Right now it seems that the franchise is making an honest attempt at building a franchise culture. I suppose it all begins with Casey and allowing him real input. I think this is a worthwhile goal and what does seperate perennial lottery teams from perennial playoff teams. You need your franchise to be about more than then the individual stats and play of the players on the floor, it needs to be about a system and a mindset which you plug the best possible players into. That is how we will break out of the lottery and into the middle class. Once you are in the middle class you are a bit of luck, good scouting and internal development away from the top tier.

          I don't look at our current roster and see top-tier in the making, but I do see a respectable team in the making. You gotta start somewhere.

          Comment


          • #20
            akashsingh wrote: View Post
            well imo we should keep swinging. Except be smarter about it. I actually loathe teams that are average and stay that way every year. (bucks etc..)
            "...keep swinging. Except be smarter about it." LMAO

            In essence your strategy is "Raps should succeed."

            I will loathe the Raps for being average and staying there when it has happened for four seasons in a row (which would mean play-offs four seasons in a row). That would be a franchise record.

            Oh, and not to exclude other areas of concern in the world, financial losers should buy stocks when they are low, and only sell when they are high.

            You're welcome.

            Comment


            • #21
              Every team should fear mediocrity, but a mediocre team in my opinion is a team that barely makes the playoffs every year, or just can't get in. So a team in the 12-17 range. These are the draft picks that typically are not good enough to help elevate the team into the next "tier".

              However one common thread for most mediocre teams is a team with a bunch of slightly overpaid vets. If a team has a lot of youth, and flexibility to add assets (via lop sided trades, or free agency) then those teams can still become better even if they are in that dreaded 12-17 range.

              I am very skeptical of BC, but he has a team of youth with flexibility. The core is gradually being built from the ground up (Casey/JV/Lowry make a nice start) and the core will be added to every year either organically (DeMar/Ross/Fields) or through future transactions. And one thing about BC is that he likes wheeling and dealing. I just regret that we couldn't move into the 1-7 range last year since those were potentially the best picks available, but c'est la vie.

              Last year the team was in 8th (actually tied for 8th) worst, and the year before that 5th worst. That's a good spot to be in. If their goal is playoffs this year, then that's fine because I like part of that core. If they continue to just make the playoffs or end up 9th/10th/11th, then its something to worry about, but we have not even scratched the surface of mediocrity, so in my opinion it's too early to talk about it.

              Comment


              • #22
                Sigh.

                The op sentiment is classic premature negativity and imo ahead of it's time...more a 1/3 season reflection piece. And I dont believe most on the board are believing a playoff run this year....rather a "good if it happens wishful" sentiment. What I want is good improvement on defense from last year and let things fall into place. The offence will take care of itself.

                Right now I am feeling a good vibe and quite nervous about the start...the first 10 or so games with some tough teams will set the tone for the season/playoffs.

                Comment


                • #23
                  akashsingh wrote: View Post
                  sure it's all fun now to see derozan's improved athleticism/agressiveness from last year, and the rookie (val), and lowry
                  that novelty will soon wear thin.

                  but aren't we stuck in mediocrity?

                  a lot of people have us as the 8th seed if we're lucky (including most on this board), derozan and bargnani both don't play any defense, I don't think it is likely for us to get very good value for the players we want to get rid of (kleiza,calderon,bargnani,derozan,etc.) outside of valanciunas turning into a superstar exactly how are we supposed to get to the next level?


                  I dunno, maybe I think about it too much, and should get another hobby? what do you guys think.

                  I know b.c. is great at making something out of nothing but I don't think he has much to work with here to get us an elite player (all his own fault of course)
                  Whats with all these cry baby threads lately?

                  Did we not pick up Kyle lowry this season who even the nba broadcasters are saying is the raptors new star player. but hey its not like we got a solid pg rotation going for us either. or a young center with tons of potentialwho could be a huge difference maker . or not like bargnani or derozan improved at all this year.oh wait, its not like any other team wont have an injury or bad games cause they are so much better then us that that bad stuff wont effect any team but ours.... pfft. enough of these loser, woah is me threads already.

                  have some cheese with your wine singh.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    this thread is all about Singh reading and listening to american broadcasters. He believes everything he hears to be fact, as if there is no bias towards the raptors. watch the games, see the improvement, make your own choices about our team. If you cant see the improvement and growth from the raptors as a whole something is wrong with you.

                    people are over hyping teams like brooklyn, atlanta, chicago and pacers
                    I see this as the raps last year in the shadow. by next year i think people will finally wake up to and see we have a solid basketball team.
                    Last edited by pesterm1; Thu Oct 25th, 2012, 05:24 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Oh and one more thing.... its still preseason. how can you judge players defense after 4 preseason games ya shmuck.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                        Atlanta. Outside of Smith, Horford, and Teague, there isn't much potential moving forward. Although, intriguing trio.
                        horford and smith are great , terague is pretty meh. lowry has a solid advantage over teague.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          We have to reach meriocrity first to be stuck there.

                          As long as the knicks implode this season, it will be a fun one to watch.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                            Whats with all these cry baby threads lately?

                            Did we not pick up Kyle lowry this season who even the nba broadcasters are saying is the raptors new star player. but hey its not like we got a solid pg rotation going for us either. or a young center with tons of potentialwho could be a huge difference maker . or not like bargnani or derozan improved at all this year.oh wait, its not like any other team wont have an injury or bad games cause they are so much better then us that that bad stuff wont effect any team but ours.... pfft. enough of these loser, woah is me threads already.

                            have some cheese with your wine singh.
                            im being realistic, if you don't like it fuck you. Im providing evidence, to back up my complaing not just whining incessantly about it. That's how we get a good discussion going.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                              Whats with all these cry baby threads lately?

                              Did we not pick up Kyle lowry this season who even the nba broadcasters are saying is the raptors new star player. but hey its not like we got a solid pg rotation going for us either. or a young center with tons of potentialwho could be a huge difference maker . or not like bargnani or derozan improved at all this year.oh wait, its not like any other team wont have an injury or bad games cause they are so much better then us that that bad stuff wont effect any team but ours.... pfft. enough of these loser, woah is me threads already.

                              have some cheese with your wine singh.
                              I hear ya. If anything the Raptors took a step in the RIGHT direction, and that's all that should matter

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I think we are all overlooking the big picture here... The knicks are going to suck and I will enjoy it

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X