Would you? The Calderon Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you? The Calderon Edition

I was thinking about the roster this year when my thoughts suddenly turned to next year so I came up with a hypothetical to run by all you Armchair GMs.

Calderon 3 years 15 million after this season?

Why we should:

We all know his strengths. Those strengths seem to be amplified when he comes off the bench.

Why we shouldn't:

Will take crucial minutes from Terrence Ross and John Lucas.
    He is getting OLDER...but by no means ANCIENT.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

thead wrote: View Post
    I was thinking about the roster this year when my thoughts suddenly turned to next year so I came up with a hypothetical to run by all you Armchair GMs.

Calderon 3 years 15 million after this season?

Why we should:

We all know his strengths. Those strengths seem to be amplified when he comes off the bench.

Why we shouldn't:

Will take crucial minutes from Terrence Ross and John Lucas.
    He is getting OLDER...but by no means ANCIENT.
    I think I would, but not necessarily to give him minutes as SG. Developing Ross is a big priority, but Calderon is the perfect backup PG.

Comment

Give him 3 years, 12$ million. And that's a STEAL for a potential every night, 8 points, 8 assists off the bench.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

For sure, I'd like to see him retire as a Raptor

Comment

I would. He'd be a great veteran backup PG for the next 2-3 years. I would prefer a 2 year deal, with 1 or 2 additional team option years, maybe worth $5M / $5M / $4M / $4M.

I'd love to trade him at the deadline to get something back (or as part of big trade for legit starting SF), then re-sign him in the offseason. Best of both worlds - asset maximization and loyalty!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I would. He'd be a great veteran backup PG for the next 2-3 years. I would prefer a 2 year deal, with 1 or 2 additional team option years, maybe worth $5M / $5M / $4M / $4M.

I'd love to trade him at the deadline to get something back (or as part of big trade for legit starting SF), then re-sign him in the offseason. Best of both worlds - asset maximization and loyalty!
            I would also - I think $4-$5 mm / year is fair value. As for the trade, Im just not sure what "asset"s we could send with Jose to get that SF? DD is out now that hes signed to a bloated deal .. same for Fields. Same for LK. I guess Ross .. but the return would need to be pretty damn good to trade him...The other option would be AB .. but then we are stuck with way to many SGs/SFs .. I feel like at least one of them (and their salary) would have to go.

Comment

Best situation would be to get a stud wing using Calderon expiring and whatever else then resign Calderon to full MLE. (3 years, 15m) this summer.

I would love that.

If raps have bird rights I really don't care what they pay him as long as it is not longer than 3 years.

Comment

I would resign jose, put ross at the sg and derzoan at sf because I don't see us landing rudy gay
                "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

In which world does trading a player constitute loyalty?

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                    In which world does trading a player constitute loyalty?
                    I'm sure BC could have conversations with him about it, especially if the Raps are out of the playoffs and they trade him to a playoff team to give him a chance to chase a ring (similar to Barbosa last year), while also telling him that they want him back next year. Following up on the conversation by bringing him back would prove the loyalty. Calderon's smart enough to understand the business reality of the NBA and knows that an expiring veteran PG has value and likely wouldn't take it personally, especially if BC talks to him beforehand.

Comment

I'm sure BC could have conversations with him about it, especially if the Raps are out of the playoffs and they trade him to a playoff team to give him a chance to chase a ring (similar to Barbosa last year), while also telling him that they want him back next year. Following up on the conversation by bringing him back would prove the loyalty. Calderon's smart enough to understand the business reality of the NBA and knows that an expiring veteran PG has value and likely wouldn't take it personally, especially if BC talks to him beforehand.
                      Just a heads up, any discussions ahead of time would be grounds for the "Joe Smith/Minnesota Timberwolves" treatment.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Just a heads up, any discussions ahead of time would be grounds for the "Joe Smith/Minnesota Timberwolves" treatment.
                        haha fair enough, but I'm sure conversation can be had like this

BC: Jose, would you be interested in going to a contender, if an opportunity presents itself?

JC: You mean like the opportunity you gave Leandro last year?

BC: Exactly. It's not that we don't want you here in Toronto, but Kyle's done a great job, we're in a tough fight for the #8 seed and John played pretty well those games you missed when your hamstring acted up, and I just wanted to get a feel for where your head's at considering the trade deadline is coming up and we've been getting some calls about you.

JC: I love Toronto and love the fans, but I understand the situation. I appreciate you talking to me about it and getting my input and sure, I'd be open to such a move, as long as it benefited the Raptors too. I love it here.

BC: Well I'll see what I can do and keep you and your agent updated about any developments. Don't get me wrong, we'd be just as happy keeping you and we've already had some preliminary discussions with your agent about bringing you back, but I need to keep my options open.

JC: No worries and thanks.

As long as it's not an unexpected knife-in-the-back type of move, I don't think Calderon would hate BC or the franchise. He seems like the type of professional guy who knows the business, understands his situation and would be open to re-signing here next offseason even if he were to be traded. It's all just conjecture, but that's just my impression of him.

Comment

haha fair enough, but I'm sure conversation can be had like this

BC: Jose, would you be interested in going to a contender, if an opportunity presents itself?

JC: You mean like the opportunity you gave Leandro last year?

BC: Exactly. It's not that we don't want you here in Toronto, but Kyle's done a great job, we're in a tough fight for the #8 seed and John played pretty well those games you missed when your hamstring acted up, and I just wanted to get a feel for where your head's at considering the trade deadline is coming up and we've been getting some calls about you.

JC: I love Toronto and love the fans, but I understand the situation. I appreciate you talking to me about it and getting my input and sure, I'd be open to such a move, as long as it benefited the Raptors too. I love it here.

BC: Well I'll see what I can do and keep you and your agent updated about any developments. Don't get me wrong, we'd be just as happy keeping you and we've already had some preliminary discussions with your agent about bringing you back, but I need to keep my options open.

JC: No worries and thanks.

As long as it's not an unexpected knife-in-the-back type of move, I don't think Calderon would hate BC or the franchise. He seems like the type of professional guy who knows the business, understands his situation and would be open to re-signing here next offseason even if he were to be traded. It's all just conjecture, but that's just my impression of him.
                          In my head, I actually read Jose's lines with a Spanish accent :|

Comment

Well, that would really only include 3 teams if "chasing a ring" is the rationale. The Lakers, the Heat and the Thunder. Anyone else is not in the ring conversation and do any of those teams have SF's that they would trade for a package including Calderon?

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
                              Well, that would really only include 3 teams if "chasing a ring" is the rationale. The Lakers, the Heat and the Thunder. Anyone else is not in the ring conversation and do any of those teams have SF's that they would trade for a package including Calderon?
                              I was thinking more along the lines of any likely playoff team, just to give him a taste of the playoffs. If a bigger deal comes along that his contract is needed for, then that's a whole different story. I was assuming a minor move, just to dump his contract on its own to pickup a minor asset at the trade deadline, with the intention (on BC's part) to turnaround and attempt to re-sign him in the offseason.

Comment

Working...
                              X