Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barg on the NBA's All-Chuckers Team LOL wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stahmenah_Vybz
    replied
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    Yeah but the whole point of what he wrote about Bargs is that people are becoming overly negative.
    My point was not that there was talking positively about him. It was more a careful what you wish for how you like that.

Leave a comment:

• JimiCliff
    replied
    Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    His name is being spoken around the league. How you like that?
    Yeah but the whole point of what he wrote about Bargs is that people are becoming overly negative.

Leave a comment:

• Stahmenah_Vybz
    replied
    ceez wrote: View Post
    I, for one, am shocked.
    Shocked by what if I may ask?

Leave a comment:

• ceez
    replied
    I, for one, am shocked.

Leave a comment:

• Soft Euro
    replied
    The prelude of the article before Zach Lowe lists the players is interesting as well; it's not just a list of chuckers.

It's almost universally accepted among NBA stat geeks that players become less efficient as they use up a larger share of their team's possessions hunting for shots. The very best players can remain efficient while sucking up 25 or 30 percent of possessions, but even they begin to fall off beyond that. Ask role players to take on that kind of burden, and their shooting percentages and other efficiency stats will come crashing down.

The debate mostly centers around the search for the proper balance on each team, and whether there is value in simply having guys who can create shot attempts — even if a few of those attempts each night are blatantly bad. Math in a vacuum suggests teams would be better off shifting possessions from heavy-usage players to low-usage players who have been monstrously efficient in their rare chances; this is the "get the ball to Tyson Chandler more often!" argument. Studies of actual basketball suggest that asking Chandler to do more would result in more bad stuff from him — turnovers, offensive fouls, misses, and air-balled mid-rangers like the one he launched last week in San Antonio. Having a ball hog like Carmelo Anthony — playing less like a ball hog this season — might actually have value, as he allows teammates to find their happy medium on offense.

The dream is to find the right balance, and there is no easy statistical formula for that. Roster context matters, and we haven't even talked defense. For every example of a team's offense sinking without a ball-dominant star (Hi, Pacers!), we could probably find another offense thriving without one (Sorry, Amar'e.)

The evidence is all over the place. With Thanksgiving upon us, let's take a moment, though, to give thanks to some occasionally unpopular shot-chuckers who might have more value than their detractors think.
    The first bold I'd like to call the "Amir-Is-Great-argument" which could be found here some time ago. Btw; not intending this to be a defense of Bargnani (this year) on my part.

Leave a comment:

• hateslosing
    replied
    Everytime I see 37% for a second I thnk it's really good...then I realize it's not his 3 point percentage and become sad. At this point a change has to be made, whether it's amnestying, trading, or just sending him to the bench. Waiting for him to play better is silly.

Leave a comment:

• Stahmenah_Vybz
    started a topic Barg on the NBA's All-Chuckers Team LOL wow!

Barg on the NBA's All-Chuckers Team LOL wow!

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...chuckers-squad
    Bargnani may have surpassed Boozer in the unpopularity contest. He's shooting 37 percent, his free throws have dropped off, and he has somehow regressed on the boards and as a help defender. The cries to dump Bargnani get louder with each late-game Toronto collapse, the latest of which featured Jrue Holiday blowing by Bargnani on a switch and hitting Jason Richardson for a clutch 3.

But the Raptors scored at a bottom-three rate without Bargnani last season, and a big man with legit 3-point range that can be deployed at high volumes is enormously valuable simply for floor spacing.

Which brings us back to context and defense. Bargnani's a liability on the latter front, outside of some decent one-on-one post defense, and the context is changing in Toronto. Kyle Lowry is a borderline All-Star who can penetrate the defense, and DeMar DeRozan, flashing an improved post game, can at least tread water as a no. 1 option in Lowry's injury-related absence. Jonas Valanciunas will get better down low. Bargnani's contract is amnesty-eligible, and he has two years left after this one at a relatively affordable price.

So there you have it. His name is being spoken around the league. How you like that?
Working...
X