Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big V headed to the bench! Are you kidding me????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    And Amir won't? That's been his biggest issue over the years. If the concern is you are outsized at the five, then start Aaron Gray.
    I actually think Amir is stronger than JV in this stage of their careers. Prob won't stay that way. Also, last year Bargs guarded the 5 a bunch and Amir would guard the 4 (like K-Love for example). It was match up related.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    Do not give Bargnani less minutes. The less he plays, the less other teams get interested. Showcase.
    After 7 years, I don't think any GM can be tricked into thinking Bargnani is someone he isn't. IMO, his playing time is irrelevant to his trade value. Every knowledgeable basketball mind knows who Bargnani is. The next 10-20 games can't change that.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Employee wrote: View Post
    Dudes. Who cares if he starts or not, as long as he gets minutes. He's been getting out muscled hard lately by starting 5's.
    And Amir won't? That's been his biggest issue over the years. If the concern is you are outsized at the five, then start Aaron Gray.

Leave a comment:

• Sig
    replied
    By the way, Casey criticizing Val's help defense is laughable when he continues to throw Bargnani out there who still is entirely useless as a help defender after 7 years. So, Val has to: defend his own man, box out two guys (his and Bargs'), coordinate the defense, play the pick and roll to centre court cause out guards can't defend their way out of a wet paper bag, and play perfect help defense.

F*$^ this organization. I'm close to the edge with this team.
    This^

Leave a comment:

• Employee
    replied
    Dudes. Who cares if he starts or not, as long as he gets minutes. He's been getting out muscled hard lately by starting 5's.

Leave a comment:

• robert parrish 00
    replied
    Can't we just start 6 players? lol. What we need in a centre playing the centre position. I don't know how we juggle our line ups and Gray never sees the floor. I am not overstating Grays talents but we need a centre on the floor at all times. I thought Gray started quite a bit last season, so why is he not seeing the light of day. Especially since we keep losing!

I love ED and want him to have more playing time. JV's hustle is about the only bright spot on this season. Sure he makes rookie errors, but he needs playing time.

The raps also need to stop the pseudo basket weave outside the three point line until there is only 9 seconds left on the shot clock. That drives me nuts.

Leave a comment:

• DoNDaDDa
    replied
    Superchunk wrote: View Post
    It is so obvious to me that our best lineup includes Davis and Val. Am I wrong?
    youd be correct IMO! Ed & Amir if Val is struggling but in NO WAY should we be taking Jonas & not Bargs out the starting 5. this has to be a joke..

Leave a comment:

• TheGloveinRapsUniform
    replied
    RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    I'm not upset about JV coming off the bench I'm more upset about the timing of it. Cries for Bargnani to come off the bench are foolish IMO as he is the best big on the team today. With that being said regarding the two points above.

I was surprised JV was the opening night starter and thought they would bring him along off the bench with Jose running pick n rolls.

Bargnani's playing time should be scaled back when he's not giving an honest effort aka a quick yank and seat on the bench. 3 minutes in and no effort have a seat big fella. Sending him to the bench to start the game isn't the message you want to send to him or the rest of the league (trade value). Making him accountable is through PT and making him earn it.

Also for what it's worth when I saw the title of the thread I was expecting to see Ed Davis getting the start but to my disappointment it's Amir. Amir has been the second biggest disappointing this year behind Dre. In my depth chart Amir is the fourth best big. Everyone is crying for Ed Davis to start over Dre but no one cares that Amir got gets the start over Ed...
    Do not give Bargnani less minutes. The less he plays, the less other teams get interested. Showcase.

Leave a comment:

• RAPresenting
    replied
    This is why the Raptors can't have nice things. They finally get a "plus" prospect and they: freeze him out of the offence, bench him sporadically, and now publicly put the defensive issues on him and bench him. What a joke of an organization.

Here we are after all this rebuilding, etc. and what do we have: a starting lineup with Bargnani, Derozan, Amir; along with Calderon still playing 25 minutes a game. The same failed group of players they've had for years.

This organization is a joke.
    Agreed on just about everything. Casey doesn't play his young guys plain and simple. Last year when we were supposed to be developing our young players several didn't get a sniff of time. Ed Davis should have been logging major minutes, Bayless over Jose, JJ over Butler and even Alabi should have seen the court more. Let the kids play through mistakes and stock pile those loses to get a stud in the draft. I like Ross a lot but Barnes and MKG both would have looked better in the starting line up then Fields. Last year was the perfect situation for the Raptors to develop prospects and lose games instead Casey used all of his schemes and play calls to work his way up the standings late. No wonder our play calls suck this year.... He used them all last season!

Leave a comment:

• Superchunk
    replied
    It is so obvious to me that our best lineup includes Davis and Val. Am I wrong?

Leave a comment:

• RAPresenting
    replied
    I'm not upset about JV coming off the bench I'm more upset about the timing of it. Cries for Bargnani to come off the bench are foolish IMO as he is the best big on the team today. With that being said regarding the two points above.

I was surprised JV was the opening night starter and thought they would bring him along off the bench with Jose running pick n rolls.

Bargnani's playing time should be scaled back when he's not giving an honest effort aka a quick yank and seat on the bench. 3 minutes in and no effort have a seat big fella. Sending him to the bench to start the game isn't the message you want to send to him or the rest of the league (trade value). Making him accountable is through PT and making him earn it.

Also for what it's worth when I saw the title of the thread I was expecting to see Ed Davis getting the start but to my disappointment it's Amir. Amir has been the second biggest disappointing this year behind Dre. In my depth chart Amir is the fourth best big. Everyone is crying for Ed Davis to start over Dre but no one cares that Amir got gets the start over Ed...

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    By the way, Casey criticizing Val's help defense is laughable when he continues to throw Bargnani out there who still is entirely useless as a help defender after 7 years. So, Val has to: defend his own man, box out two guys (his and Bargs'), coordinate the defense, play the pick and roll to centre court cause out guards can't defend their way out of a wet paper bag, and play perfect help defense.

F*$^ this organization. I'm close to the edge with this team.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    This is why the Raptors can't have nice things. They finally get a "plus" prospect and they: freeze him out of the offence, bench him sporadically, and now publicly put the defensive issues on him and bench him. What a joke of an organization.

Here we are after all this rebuilding, etc. and what do we have: a starting lineup with Bargnani, Derozan, Amir; along with Calderon still playing 25 minutes a game. The same failed group of players they've had for years.

This organization is a joke.

Leave a comment:

• TheGloveinRapsUniform
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    What's funny is that Casey actually believes this season is still salvageable. Why else would he make this move?
    Or, he acknowledges the fact that playoffs is impossible, wants to give JV less minutes for less risk of injuries and less mileage.

I dont like the move, but he's right. If he's going to play Bargnani anyways, might as well use him as as a decoy. Id rather he do this, than tell everybody that he's keeping Bargnani in the game because he wants the ball in Bargnani's hands. JV wont score a ton of points anyways, Amir can probably get the same number of rebounds and blocks. It wasnt like JV was averaging 20-10.

The only thing that would worry me is the hit on JVs ego. Rookie year, everybody's telling him he's the "chosen one", he's probably only 1 of the 2 players who plays pedal-to-the-metal every game and yet he gets the boot from the starting lineup. Not good for his ego, but he'll get over it. I think its better that he's seeing the harsh reality now rather than later. And besides, he's mature for his age, so he'll understand.

With whats been going on in the past few games and how Casey has been coaching this team, nothing surprises or irritates me anymore when it comes to the Raps.
    Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Fri Dec 7, 2012, 10:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mediumcore
    replied
    Would love to see Amir replace AB in the starting 5 instead, but clearly the Golden Child is untouchable. Not mad at Casey for this move. I felt from the start that JV should have come off the bench. He's good, and has all the tools, but he's a rookie and prone to mistakes.

Frankly, I'll support any changes if it results in a win at this point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X