Who do you keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who do you keep?

With all the rumors about Jose and Bargnani probably being traded, who on this team DO you keep? It's all well and good to shake things up the the fact is we are not going to get much back for Bargs and a team that has 2 real scoring options (Demar and Lowry) is not doing much this year or any other. So realistically one of two things will happen:

1. We sign a free agent in the off season who can score a lot of points
    2. We rebuild through the draft....again

If we rebuild throught he draft, which is the more likely of the two options, we don't have a pick this year which means we are not going to be adding any high level talent (unles we such hard all year and then get lucky). So it will be the end of next season at the earliest that we can start building around newly drafted talent. Kyle Lowry is 26 and Amir Johnson is 25 so by the time we have a high pick and that pick has 2-3 years to develop, they will both be almost 30 and on their way out of their primes (especially Lowry, who has been injured a lot in his career). Gray,
    Pietrus, Kleiza, and the D leaguers are all pretty useless and aren't long term solutions anywhere. So basically we are left with:

Derozan: Best player on the team and coming into his own. At 23 he is young enough to be in his prime when we add some talent. He is one of the players we can start the rebuild around.

Davis: Young, and with a tremendous amount of rebounding ability. I think he has been a bright spot this year and I'd like to think the falshes of a post game he's shown are and indicator of th future.

Jonas: Future of the franchise at this point.

Terrance Ross: Not sure how he is going to develop, but he's a young athletic rookie so he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Landry Fields: hasn't played much but fits the age we need and could be good.

Who do you keep?
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

DeRozan
    Ross
    Jonas
    Davis

For this team to get better they need to remain bad. I don't think Lowry is going to be a good fit in this environment.

As I've said elsewhere, I'd love to see the Raptors load up on draft picks in the next 2-3 drafts combined with a load of expiring contracts for 2014-2015 season.

Comment

I believe there's already a thread discussing this. However, if the Raps to decide to blow it up and start fresh with a total rebuild, then Valanciunas is the only player I would absolutely keep.

Ross
      - would be my 2nd most likely to keep, because of his age/contract/talent/potential
      - he hasn't done enough to 'wow' me this season, to make him untouchable... yet

DeRozan
      - has shown improvement, but is still a one-dimensional player who is a below average defender with no outside shot
      - If I was offered a lottery pick in the 2014 draft and the opportunity to get out from under his contract, I would do it (especially with all the good wing players in the 2014 draft and even moreso if Ross is kept)

Lowry
      - I was very high on his acquisition, but he's showing that he's little more than a slightly more talented Bayless
      - too much hero ball, overrated defense, bad attitude, the fact that he'll already be 27 by the end of the season and has a highly tradeable contract, all make his one of our top trade assets

Davis
      - have loved his improvements (especially since I've been arguing for him over Amir since last offseason), but he's nothing more than a solid backup PF who's easily replaced

I don't think anybody else is even worth mentioning at this point. Trade everybody not named Valanciunas for draft picks, good/young/cheap players and a few big/bad contracts that will expire within 2 seasons.

Comment

Working...
      X