Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torch19
    replied
    If we somehow land Andrew Wiggins and he lives up to the hype, he will change our franchise as we know it. He will have the same impact Vince Carter had in putting the Raptors on the map. We will have nationally televised games in the States. David Stern will elevate us to status we haven't seen in a while in terms of marketing and referee favoring.

Essentially, we will be the next OKC in terms of hype. For Canadian basketball, his presence will elevate basketball to another level, impacting every aspect of Canadian basketball from the grassroots level and up. As Vince Carter paved the way for the Tristan Thompson's and Andrew Nicholson, several years from now, as more Canadians enter the league, you will get "I wanted to be like Andrew Wiggins."

That said, it's a LONG SHOT. Even if the Raptors completely change directions, trade off all assets for future picks, completely tank next year, pray for the #1 pick assuming he is the consensus #1 overall. Then, add another 3 years of more tanking and building and developing and establishing assets. So we are looking at a 5 year time frame from this season. It's a BIG risk and I'm not sure it's worth going after.

If this was an automatic #1 pick for the worst team in the league, then I would advocate for the move. But seeing Mr. Stern has a lot to say in such events, the probability of pulling it off is very small. I'm still a believer that he rewards teams who are in need of a "bail out" in order to be financially sustainable in the long run.

Leave a comment:

• Dunk
    replied
    phiLLy wrote: View Post
    Lowry
    Wiggins
    Derozan
    Gay
    JV

Would be a nice small-ball lineup to go with, damn that could be a crazy lineup.

Or move DeRozan, and then end up with Millsap or a true PF, and move Gay to the 3.
    Wiggins plays SF and is already taller than Derozan.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Not gonna happen. If the Raps are primed to he a playoff team next year, they won't have a chance for luck with the lottery balls. I don't see Bargnani or even DeRozan landing a 1st round pick from a likely lottery team, given the loaded draft in 2014.

Leave a comment:

• phiLLy
    replied
    Lowry
    Wiggins
    Derozan
    Gay
    JV

Would be a nice small-ball lineup to go with, damn that could be a crazy lineup.

Or move DeRozan, and then end up with Millsap or a true PF, and move Gay to the 3.

Leave a comment:

• stretch
    replied
    Andrew Wiggins and his Huntington Prep team will be playing in Hamilton next Sunday, Feb. 17 according to Doug Smith:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...tive_play.html

Leave a comment:

• stretch
    replied
    Wiggins = basketball Jesus. The potential franchise savior is a long shot to be drafted by the Raptors but there is always the future, looking forward.

Leave a comment:

• BasketballCrush
    replied
    Let’s be careful, too narrow a focus could make us miss other talent in that draft. I'm down with Wiggins if he is available, but hype does not always last and it’s possible that other interesting players emerge and could be missed by over fascination.

I want the best player we can get with our pick, if we have one. Not necessarily a guy from Toronto. I also think that by that time our talent will mature enough that we can easily put together a package for Wiggins if MLSE is convinced he is worth the hype, but this is the part that is dangerous, one can easily lose in such a transaction if you are too narrowly focused.
    Last edited by BasketballCrush; Sat Dec 15, 2012, 01:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jamesk
    replied
    Wiggins will change this franchise by being from Toronto, period.

Leave a comment:

• Lark Benson
    replied
    A better to question to ask (and this isn't intended to be snarky or anything) is how can the 2014 draft in general help the Raps. With so much talent available at a position of need for the Raps, finding a gem would go a long way toward dragging them out of this abyss they're in, and finding a way to double up on top-10 picks to grab a second player would be HUGE.

As for Wiggins, the kid has the potential for sure, and even if he can't bring the team a championship himself, he would do the team an enormous service if he could get them back to respectability and help to start attracting big names to the franchise.

Leave a comment:

• Pele
    replied
    Usagi_yo_Jimbo wrote: View Post
    Please! Even if Wiggins is as good as advertised, the NBA would never let us have him. They dont want a canadian team to win. They want champions only in Amurrrica!
    Except that we had Vince and Tracy at one time.

Still, I was hoping all this time that Bargs would show up, so that we could stick it to them.

THE EUROS North of the Border win the Championship!!!!

Remember the Jays in 92? Imagine Bargs chucking the winning 3 in game 7 of the finals?

OMG, I'd better go see my therapist again.

Leave a comment:

• albertan_10
    replied
    well the draft is rigged. Chicago comes out of no mans land to get their home grown Derrick Rose, the LA Clippers pick that was traded to Cleveland and had the 10th best chance of getting #1 ends up going to Cleveland the year after Lebron left (so Cleveland got the two top picks after they were royalled screwed over) and then this last year the NBA owned team that wanted to sell to a new owner just happened to get the #1 pick. I can only imagine the conversation as the NBA tried to sell it "sure i'll buy it from you but I want to be guaranteed Anthony Davis".

So Wiggins is projected to be #1 in 2014. The NBA likes to give back to the screwed and the home towns. Toronto is both in this category. As long as he pans out at college, I dont see the raptors not getting him (unless they lose their draft pick)

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    The impact will be massive assuming he lives up to even 10% of the hype.

Leave a comment:

• omgsomuchpotential
    replied
    octothorp wrote: View Post
    I hate the idea of thinking 'what if we draft a certain player', especially a couple years in advance. I get that Raptors fans want something to be excited about, but nothing good can come from that line of thinking. The odds against it are ridiculous. We'd need Raptors management to basically agree to waste next year, after a full wasted year this year, and then we'd need to actually win the lottery, which are unlikely odds even for the worst team. That said, I'm all for Raptors trading assets for multiple 2014 draft picks, because that's a solid rebuilding strategy regardless of the odds of getting the 1st overall pick.

I'm really excited that the guy's Canadian, and I hope that he'll continue to be enthusiastic about representing his country internationally, and that the rest of our young NBAers will want to play on the national team just to play along side him. But imagining his impact on team Canada (which he's already a part of) is much more realistic than imagining his impact on the Raptors.
    That is probably the best way to think about it.

Leave a comment:

• octothorp
    replied
    I hate the idea of thinking 'what if we draft a certain player', especially a couple years in advance. I get that Raptors fans want something to be excited about, but nothing good can come from that line of thinking. The odds against it are ridiculous. We'd need Raptors management to basically agree to waste next year, after a full wasted year this year, and then we'd need to actually win the lottery, which are unlikely odds even for the worst team. That said, I'm all for Raptors trading assets for multiple 2014 draft picks, because that's a solid rebuilding strategy regardless of the odds of getting the 1st overall pick.

I'm really excited that the guy's Canadian, and I hope that he'll continue to be enthusiastic about representing his country internationally, and that the rest of our young NBAers will want to play on the national team just to play along side him. But imagining his impact on team Canada (which he's already a part of) is much more realistic than imagining his impact on the Raptors.

Leave a comment:

• Usagi_yo_Jimbo
    replied
    Please! Even if Wiggins is as good as advertised, the NBA would never let us have him. They dont want a canadian team to win. They want champions only in Amurrrica!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X