Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Addressing myths approaching Lowry's return

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    This morning I've read comments and new articles regarding Lowry's ill-advised shot last night as the 4th winded down.

    Oh, there was definitely a moment there with about 30 seconds left when Lowry reverted to hero ball and threw up an ill advised three with his team protecting a two point lead and time still on the shot clock.

    The attempt was blocked and the Raptors defence got a stop. The Hornets fouled with DeRozan hitting one of two.

    http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball.../20459076.html
    The Raptors led by seven with less than two minutes left in regulation, but a bad Kyle Lowry three-point attempt that was blocked helped send the game to overtime.

    http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...ts-in-overtime
    Not sure about anyone else but this is what I saw: Lowry had ball, team stagnant, little movement, shot clock running down, he shoots and it is blocked.

    The ESPN play-by-play would seem to validate this sequence of events:

    0:51 90-88 Greivis Vasquez makes driving layup
    0:28 Anthony Davis blocks Kyle Lowry 's 26-foot three point jumper 90-88

    http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/playby...78150&period=4
    By my count above that shot was taken with 1-2 seconds left on the clock. With teammates barely moving, who is he to pass it to?


    Lowry is now in a damned if he does/damned if he doesn't situation in Toronto. I can only hope his play last night becomes the norm and he can shed this selfish label. A guy with his talent should be starting in the NBA and hopefully the statements on the importance of ball movement is not lip service.

    Lowry is the best and most dynamic player the Raptors have had in a long time. He is also the only player to be able to create his own shot at will in a long time - it just so happens he is a PG. Somehow I don't think Chicago, Cleveland, Portland, or GoldenState (to name a couple) are upset by this.

    Comment


    • #47
      Matt52 wrote: View Post
      This morning I've read comments and new articles regarding Lowry's ill-advised shot last night as the 4th winded down.





      Not sure about anyone else but this is what I saw: Lowry had ball, team stagnant, little movement, shot clock running down, he shoots and it is blocked.

      The ESPN play-by-play would seem to validate this sequence of events:



      By my count above that shot was taken with 1-2 seconds left on the clock. With teammates barely moving, who is he to pass it to?


      Lowry is now in a damned if he does/damned if he doesn't situation in Toronto. I can only hope his play last night becomes the norm and he can shed this selfish label. A guy with his talent should be starting in the NBA and hopefully the statements on the importance of ball movement is not lip service.

      Lowry is the best and most dynamic player the Raptors have had in a long time. He is also the only player to be able to create his own shot at will in a long time - it just so happens he is a PG. Somehow I don't think Chicago, Cleveland, Portland, or GoldenState (to name a couple) are upset by this.
      I remember it bing early in the clock (immediately after he crossed half court) and I thought it was an awful decision at the time, but it was the only bad one he made all game, which I can live with.

      Comment


      • #48
        Lowry's late game three was a really bad decision, but it wasn't early in the clock. He got a switch in the PNR and ended up with Davis on him. Instead of attacking him, he just pounded the rock until there was a few ticks left and then hoisted a deep three which got blocked. Other than that, he had a really good game though.

        As long as the team is enjoying success, weakened schedule or not, I think they should keep the lineup as is. With the roster the way it is right now, Lowry actually provides a nice punch off the bench... and he's able to be more aggressive looking for his own offence with the second unit.

        Comment


        • #49
          Matt52 wrote: View Post
          This morning I've read comments and new articles regarding Lowry's ill-advised shot last night as the 4th winded down.





          Not sure about anyone else but this is what I saw: Lowry had ball, team stagnant, little movement, shot clock running down, he shoots and it is blocked.

          The ESPN play-by-play would seem to validate this sequence of events:



          By my count above that shot was taken with 1-2 seconds left on the clock. With teammates barely moving, who is he to pass it to?


          Lowry is now in a damned if he does/damned if he doesn't situation in Toronto. I can only hope his play last night becomes the norm and he can shed this selfish label. A guy with his talent should be starting in the NBA and hopefully the statements on the importance of ball movement is not lip service.

          Lowry is the best and most dynamic player the Raptors have had in a long time. He is also the only player to be able to create his own shot at will in a long time - it just so happens he is a PG. Somehow I don't think Chicago, Cleveland, Portland, or GoldenState (to name a couple) are upset by this.
          The shot was a bit premature. I personally didn't think it was the right decision.

          That said one play doesn't (or shouldn't) make a game or a career or a player (well unless its so boneheaded it makes a "stupid decision of the century highlight reel")

          Comment


          • #50
            AJ360 wrote: View Post
            I remember it bing early in the clock (immediately after he crossed half court) and I thought it was an awful decision at the time, but it was the only bad one he made all game, which I can live with.
            I'd love to see video of the play. I recall a lot of dribbling and standing. I could be wrong but when I read the comments this morning and viewed the play-by-play, I thought I was correct.

            Comment


            • #51
              Fully wrote: View Post
              Lowry's late game three was a really bad decision, but it wasn't early in the clock. He got a switch in the PNR and ended up with Davis on him. Instead of attacking him, he just pounded the rock until there was a few ticks left and then hoisted a deep three which got blocked. Other than that, he had a really good game though.

              As long as the team is enjoying success, weakened schedule or not, I think they should keep the lineup as is. With the roster the way it is right now, Lowry actually provides a nice punch off the bench... and he's able to be more aggressive looking for his own offence with the second unit.
              Should Lowry have looked to attack Davis? Davis is a premiere shot blocker and has nearly a foot on him. Was Lowry looking for the big-little mismatch on the screen? Was he looking for a cutter? Was he looking to reverse the ball? With 1-2 seconds on the shot clock what is one to do other than shoot the ball? Would he have got a better look had he shot coming of the screen as opposed to *my assumption* looking for others?

              I think Lowry is going to be tarnished moving forward for his attempts to do too much while injured. Here is a game in which he played 28 minutes with 7 shots, missing just 2, 8 assists, 0 turnovers and the missed 3pt shot is given just as much attention.

              Comment


              • #52
                Lowry is a very good point guard. Yes he's tried a little too hard to be the man offensively some nights, but he'll be the best pg this team has had since Damon in his prime.

                Some People are infatuated with Calderon. He's a good shooter with good court vision. He also handles the ball reasonably well. Also, he gets broken down on d, at will. Either getting scored on personally, or more often requiring help or switches that lead to open shots. He also makes bad decisions. Game against sas rushes to tell tr all is okay after a timout (not his job), comes out of the timeout and throws the most ridiculous turnover. Wayta pay attention. He is a fine back up on a decent team, or an okay stop gap starter for a bottom dweller. But this team will never be a good one with him running the team. He should be traded at the deadline.

                Also Casey: please stop playing them together for extended minutes

                Comment


                • #53
                  Well said. Finally someone with some sense and over 14 yrs old posting something whorthwhile here. Anyone who says Calderon is a better player than Lowry just doesn't know basketball - and this coming from a Calderon fan. Lowry is potential all-star folks.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    I'd love to see video of the play. I recall a lot of dribbling and standing. I could be wrong but when I read the comments this morning and viewed the play-by-play, I thought I was correct.
                    He shot it with 4 seconds left on the shot clock. The play involved the Raps isolating Lowry and spreading the floor for a high screen on Lowry's defender. Bad shot, bad play call... It did look like Lowry was looking at Casey after the whistle on the play and threw his arms up wondering what he was supposed to do.
                    Great game by Lowry... stayed within the system and was absolutely huge down the stretch. Not going to lie though, hated the shot for multiple reasons... trust is truly established in the last minutes of the game and that shot said "hero ball" all over it.

                    ― John Wooden

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Should Lowry have looked to attack Davis? Davis is a premiere shot blocker and has nearly a foot on him. Was Lowry looking for the big-little mismatch on the screen? Was he looking for a cutter? Was he looking to reverse the ball? With 1-2 seconds on the shot clock what is one to do other than shoot the ball? Would he have got a better look had he shot coming of the screen as opposed to *my assumption* looking for others?

                      I think Lowry is going to be tarnished moving forward for his attempts to do too much while injured. Here is a game in which he played 28 minutes with 7 shots, missing just 2, 8 assists, 0 turnovers and the missed 3pt shot is given just as much attention.
                      I don't think his missed shot is getting that much attention aside from you. You brought up the late ill-advised three and I concurred that it was a bad decision, but I also said that Lowry had a great game overall. Raps win. Lowry was a big part. Move on?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Fully wrote: View Post
                        I don't think his missed shot is getting that much attention aside from you. You brought up the late ill-advised three and I concurred that it was a bad decision, but I also said that Lowry had a great game overall. Raps win. Lowry was a big part. Move on?
                        I found it funny how a remarkable game he had was just as much of a mention in Toronto media write ups and fans posts on the main page than everything else he brought to the table.

                        But yes, I am moving on.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Yeah, I can understand the frustration. It seems to be the nature of sports media at the moment however; someone comes up with an interesting narrative and then everyone else drives it into the ground whether it's actually applicable or not.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Should Lowry have looked to attack Davis? Davis is a premiere shot blocker and has nearly a foot on him. Was Lowry looking for the big-little mismatch on the screen? Was he looking for a cutter? Was he looking to reverse the ball? With 1-2 seconds on the shot clock what is one to do other than shoot the ball? Would he have got a better look had he shot coming of the screen as opposed to *my assumption* looking for others?

                            I think Lowry is going to be tarnished moving forward for his attempts to do too much while injured. Here is a game in which he played 28 minutes with 7 shots, missing just 2, 8 assists, 0 turnovers and the missed 3pt shot is given just as much attention.
                            Is that different from any other player? Everyone is examinded under the microscope for good and bad decisions in professional sports. I can't recall the exact circumstances of the play, but my memory is that he dribbled the ball for a long time before the screen. (this, I think is due to Casey asking the PG's to burn as much clock as possible with the lead at the end of games) he came off the screen and dribbled a bit more, Looked like he was trying to figure out whether to attack or shoot. and then jacked it up.

                            As for your point about Davis, PG's are supposed to be much faster that bigs and shouldn't have much problem blowing by them. It happens all the time.

                            As I think I said before, if Lowry can give us consistently what he has given us for the past few games, I don't care at all if he makes the occasional bad decision, he is human. His play the past two games has been inspired and he deserves much credit for his efforts.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              I remember him going into the stands and taking a few bites out of someones pizza, can't remember if he attempted the shot after the cute Asian girl snapped a photo with him doing the peace sign, or if it was after.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X