X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Beagle wrote: View Post
    But the club seems to be on the verge of contending for dominance at the positions of PG, SG and C while maintaining significant depth in the roster and a balance of offensive and defensive prowess. This approach would seem to me to be the best for a "small market" team like Toronto.

The SF position is a problem, but once it is fixed and JV + TR mature this could predictably become a contending franchise.

I don't think DeRozan's worthiness was all that un-demonstrated. Most of his stats have been steadily improving since the start of his career. He's never been as bad as people on this forum have fantasized him to be. Yeah, he can be a bit of a klutz sometimes, but he's young and shows some innate genius with his body. He's been a better than average SG for a long time on a rookie scale contract. He's been just great for the franchise. And, as some have pointed out, it pays in the long run for the franchise to show good faith to long-term players that give their best and have potential. Otherwise, even fewer talents will agree to come here.
    If Ross and JV becomes All-Stars and the Raps get a legit, above average starting SF then there we are near contenders.... is that all? lol

As for DD, he has been an one dimensional scorer and inefficient at that for his career. He has shown improvement this year but he still has a way to go - that is just my opinion - but I do think much more of him now than before the contract was signed. The last few games he has held the ball higher and carried the ball like a football RB when driving to the rim - that alone is going to add a lot more to his game. Rebounding is better. Still brutal on defense - no if's and's or but's about it.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    But the club seems to be on the verge of contending for dominance at the positions of PG, SG and C while maintaining significant depth in the roster and a balance of offensive and defensive prowess. This approach would seem to me to be the best for a "small market" team like Toronto.

The SF position is a problem, but once it is fixed and JV + TR mature this could predictably become a contending franchise.

I don't think DeRozan's worthiness was all that un-demonstrated. Most of his stats have been steadily improving since the start of his career. He's never been as bad as people on this forum have fantasized him to be. Yeah, he can be a bit of a klutz sometimes, but he's young and shows some innate genius with his body. He's been a better than average SG for a long time on a rookie scale contract. He's been just great for the franchise. And, as some have pointed out, it pays in the long run for the franchise to show good faith to long-term players that give their best and have potential. Otherwise, even fewer talents will agree to come here.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Beagle wrote: View Post
    Funny people complain about the Derozan signing despite the highly arguable assertion discussed here that he is among the very best at his position in the East. Though some hate to admit it, Toronto's future doesn't look half bad at all.
    At the time of the contract signing he had not shown to be worth it and it is debatable if he is worth it now but luckily there is another season before it kicks in. The issue is one of leverage and flexibility which Colangelo threw away.

The flilp side to Toronto's future not looking half bad is it only looks half good. Mediocrity is the number one concern moving forward - at least for me.

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    Funny people complain about the Derozan signing despite the highly arguable assertion discussed here that he is among the very best at his position in the East. Though some hate to admit it, Toronto's future doesn't look half bad at all.

Leave a comment:

• hateslosing
    replied
    joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Hmm touche .. Shit haha

But my point being is that its not a rarity for the West teams to hold an advantage over the East. I remember the year it took 48 wins in the West to make the Playoffs. Same year it took like 38 in the East.
    Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Which is a reversal from the '90's when it was the opposite.
    I think we're going to see the East get better again. Indiana, Detroit, Toronto, Phili are all up and comers and the Bulls, knicks and Heat are going to be at the top for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Hmm touche .. Shit haha

But my point being is that its not a rarity for the West teams to hold an advantage over the East. I remember the year it took 48 wins in the West to make the Playoffs. Same year it took like 38 in the East.
    Which is a reversal from the '90's when it was the opposite.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    hateslosing wrote: View Post
    Last year our 8th seed had a better record than their 9th.
    Hmm touche .. Shit haha

Leave a comment:

• hateslosing
    replied
    I honestly can't remember a year when this (bolded) wasn't the case.
    Last year our 8th seed had a better record than their 9th.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    mountio wrote: View Post
    In terms of PER, for what its worth, Wade, Lou Willams, Jordan Crawford, Ben Gordon, Gerald Henderson, Ray Allen, JR Smith and JJ Redick are ahead of Demar - making him 9th. Monte Ellis is listed as a PG, but really a SG - hes ahead of DD too. Joe Johnson is below, but I think universally thought of as a pretty good player (notwithstanding the contract)
    Not that PER is the be all and end all .. but Id say a couple of those guys are for sure below DD (Henderson, Reddick, Allen (although hes a specialized player) - but I think its reasonable to say DD is top 5 .. top 2 you can twist the argument, but a little tougher ..
    Nice post. I think Top 5 is absolutely a bit more fair and reasonable.

While the argument could be made for #2, the case against it is a little stronger.
    Regardless, Demar is still VERY young and showing tremendous progess this year; and is sure to only improve for the next several seasons.

Leave a comment:

• Joey
    replied
    hateslosing wrote: View Post
    The East is worse than ever this year. The Raps, at 9 games below 0.500 are 3.5 games out of a playoff spot. It's rediculous. In the west, 9th, 10th, and 11th all have better records than our 8th.
    I honestly can't remember a year when this (bolded) wasn't the case.

Leave a comment:

• hateslosing
    replied
    Craiger wrote: View Post
    Better SG in the east than Demar:

Wade, Joe Johnsons, Monta Ellis, George, Turner (JR Smith may be on this list to but I'm just not a fan of his game)

Crazy though looking through SGs (and players in general) and how much more talent is in the west. Makes me question if even being the '2nd best -insert position here- in the east' could even be considered a compliment.
    The East is worse than ever this year. The Raps, at 9 games below 0.500 are 3.5 games out of a playoff spot. It's rediculous. In the west, 9th, 10th, and 11th all have better records than our 8th.

Other than Wade, you can argue that Demar is as good or better than any of the guys you listed so I think the argument for him being second in the east is reasonnable, if not all that impressive.

Leave a comment:

• Craiger
    replied
    TRex wrote: View Post
    George is a 3. Ellis being better than DeMar in my opinion is debatable.

Right now i'd go:

Wade
    DeRozan
    Ellis
    JR Smith
    JJ
    George is only playing the 3 due to Granger's injury. He was a 2 all last season and will be on Granger's return

Leave a comment:

• The Great One
    replied
    Craiger wrote: View Post
    Better SG in the east than Demar:

Wade, Joe Johnsons, Monta Ellis, George, Turner (JR Smith may be on this list to but I'm just not a fan of his game)

Crazy though looking through SGs (and players in general) and how much more talent is in the west. Makes me question if even being the '2nd best -insert position here- in the east' could even be considered a compliment.
    George is a 3. Ellis being better than DeMar in my opinion is debatable.

Right now i'd go:

Wade
    DeRozan
    Ellis
    JR Smith
    JJ

Leave a comment:

• ReubenJRD
    replied
    tucas wrote: View Post
    How dare they say we have the 2nd best SG in the east.
    lol +1

Leave a comment:

• RAPS4LIFE
    replied
    DD has shown improvement in a lot of areas this season. I remember he said in an interview that he watched a lot of game footage of DWade over the summer. Well, now that explains it!

He's only 23 and I think he still has a lot of room to grow. He hasn't reached his ceiling yet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X