X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craiger
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    one of the biggest strengths in his game he has a nice pull up J after 1-2 dribbles. Handles is no big issue that can be improved through working with other players and training staff it will improve no doubt. His Raw skillset though, Athletic, running the floor, a nose for the ball, shooting form, nice release cant be taught. David Aldridge and NBA.com thought he would be much akin to Brandon Roy -the health issues which is great!

"Shooters aren't made they are born"- Reggie Miller
    How many players have come into the league with little or limited ball handling skills, yet transformed themselves into good ball handlers?

Compare that players who don't have much in the way of a jumpshot or range, but have been able to add that to their game?

Improving a jumpshot or range on a shot is perhaps the easiest skill to improve. (Although I don't think poor shooters will ever become great shooters) Ball handling and passing are two skills that are almost finite. Players will make better decisions with the ball (when to put the ball on the floor or not, when pass or not etc) but they rarely become 'good' ball handlers or passers if they don't have that ability when they come into the league. Demar is perhaps a great example of this. He's still a terrible ball handler, and has a single move he repeats over and over (his spin move). For the most part he attacks the rim, head down, and tries to use his jumping ability to form an aerial move rather than a ground move. Compare that to his shooting which has improved (its relative ofcourse - no range to some range is a vast improvement) especially when we consider the volume increase

Still not an issue for Ross as a player. Nothing wrong with a player who plays good defense, is athletic and aggressive going to the rim, and has a solid jumpshot. Its still a good and useful mix of talents. But he's not a player like Roy (not even talking calibre of play here, just skill set), a guy who could play PG in pinch.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    one of the biggest strengths in his game he has a nice pull up J after 1-2 dribbles. Handles is no big issue that can be improved through working with other players and training staff it will improve no doubt. His Raw skillset though, Athletic, running the floor, a nose for the ball, shooting form, nice release cant be taught. David Aldridge and NBA.com thought he would be much akin to Brandon Roy -the health issues which is great!

I can't see the Roy comparisons unless he improves his handles. Running the offense was a big part of Roy's game, which doesn't exist in Ross's game.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstor4Life
    replied

Leave a comment:

• heinz57
    replied
    i'm surprised nobody has brought up rip hamilton...

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied
    white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    He loses the ball pretty much every time he does something. He has a smooth feel, but smoothness doesn't mean his handle is good.
    Agreed. I find his handles fairly weak.

If a wing cannot use his dribble to create his own shot, then it meets my definition of "weak handles". 1-2 dribble pullups don't count.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Ross actually has pretty good handles he just takes ill advised shots
    He loses the ball pretty much every time he does something. He has a smooth feel, but smoothness doesn't mean his handle is good.

Leave a comment:

• Hugmenot
    replied
    Terrence Ross is Michael Jordan without the gambling problems. Anything less and I will be disappointed and start hating on him!

Leave a comment:

• Fully
    replied
    akashsingh wrote: View Post
    micheal finley.
    big boi wrote: View Post
    Young Latrell Sprewell
    BadDinosaur wrote: View Post
    Offense: JR Smith (mature) - range, athleticism
    Defense: Thabo Sefolosha - pesky, lateral quicks

I think he'll be top 5 SG in a couple of years.
    JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    His demeanour, both in terms of how he carries himself and how he plays, has a McGrady-like coolness (and that may not be a good thing, because he certainly doesn't have the talent that can let you get away with that).
    urbanmonk15 wrote: View Post
    Eddie Jones
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    J. Rich
    J Ram wrote: View Post
    Allan Houston, with more athletisism
    NoFrillz wrote: View Post
    I'd have to say a young Ray Allen...
    No disrespect but you guys sound a little crazy right now. In Ross' last 21 games he has eclipsed 11 points only five times and has been held to 4 points or lower 11 times! He has shown some glimpses of being a solid player but his below average games still outnumber his above average games at about a ratio of 4:1.

Michael Finley? Tracy McGrady?! Ray Allen?!?!

Leave a comment:

• Employee
    replied
    Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    J. Rich
    Agree. Good dunker and 3pt shooter.

Leave a comment:

• NoFrillz
    replied
    I'd have to say a young Ray Allen...

Soft jumper, okay handles (not the greatest, but decent enough), solid D, great athleticism (1997 Dunk competition). We have to teach Ross to run all game non stop--moving without the ball and coming off screens!

Leave a comment:

• NoPropsneeded
    replied
    Ross actually has pretty good handles he just takes ill advised shots

Leave a comment:

• tkfu
    replied
    big boi wrote: View Post
    Young Latrell Sprewell

What excites me the most about Ross isn't his shooting or his athleticism, it's his D
    I like the comparison on D, for sure, but Spree always had a handle. That's the biggest thing Ross needs to develop.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    J Ram wrote: View Post
    I hope so!

Leave a comment:

• J Ram
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied
    I think he could turn out to be a slightly longer Kerry Kittles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X