Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrence Ross VS DeMar DeRozan

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Terrence Ross VS DeMar DeRozan

    Midway through the season, compare Terrence Ross rookie stats versus DeMar DeRozan's rookie stats

    Rookie Campaign

    Ross
    7.1ppg
    2.2rpg
    0.8apg

    DeRozan
    8.6ppg
    2.9rpg
    0.7apg

    Both have quite similar stats, both play the guard spot while neither is a 3 that can guard big elite 3 like Lebron, Carmello, Gay, or Granger, one is a slasher (DeRozan), one is a streaky shooter (Ross). Personally, I think Ross will have a higher ceiling, given time, he could turn to a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller but plays with defense, let's just hope Ross won't hit the rookie wall in his sophomore season but who knows. When Ross plays more than 20min per game, he's contributing at a higher EFF than DeRozan in his rookie campaign so obviously, there is the ceiling, and it seems he's a lot more coachable, less frustrated, more of a calm player than DeRozan. Although, I wish both will stay with the Raptors while perhaps in a few years, these two can make some noise in the league.

  • #2
    tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Midway through the season, compare Terrence Ross rookie stats versus DeMar DeRozan's rookie stats

    Rookie Campaign

    Ross
    7.1ppg
    2.2rpg
    0.8apg

    DeRozan
    8.6ppg
    2.9rpg
    0.7apg

    Both have quite similar stats, both play the guard spot while neither is a 3 that can guard big elite 3 like Lebron, Carmello, Gay, or Granger, one is a slasher (DeRozan), one is a streaky shooter (Ross). Personally, I think Ross will have a higher ceiling, given time, he could turn to a Ray Allen or Reggie Miller but plays with defense, let's just hope Ross won't hit the rookie wall in his sophomore season but who knows. When Ross plays more than 20min per game, he's contributing at a higher EFF than DeRozan in his rookie campaign so obviously, there is the ceiling, and it seems he's a lot more coachable, less frustrated, more of a calm player than DeRozan. Although, I wish both will stay with the Raptors while perhaps in a few years, these two can make some noise in the league.
    wouldn't that be a sophomore wall?

    Comment


    • #3
      DD played more mins than TR in his rook going hence the lil different in stats

      Comment


      • #4
        ball4life wrote: View Post
        DD played more mins than TR in his rook going hence the lil different in stats
        exactly.. DD has been a starter since day 1... T.Ross is already better in my opinion

        Comment


        • #5
          ball4life wrote: View Post
          DD played more mins than TR in his rook going hence the lil different in stats

          do we have that stat somewhere?
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

          Comment


          • #6
            Ross
            7.1ppg
            2.2rpg
            0.8apg
            17.7mpg

            DeRozan
            8.6ppg
            2.9rpg
            0.7apg
            21.6mpg

            Comment


            • #7
              i don't know what to expect from derozan down the line. hes been given a few more minutes every season but production hasn't really changed at all. i'm hoping he reaches at least 20ppg by the end of this season, just so i can have a piece of mind that theres actually some growth happening.

              i get that the casey strat is to share the ball which might mitigate his numbers, but we still have to depend on a reliable scorer to actually win games and i really hope derozan fills that role.

              i mean 12 points in the 1st quarter of the magic game and then only 3 more points TOTAL for the remainder of the game? bah.

              i hope T Ross gets more minutes, but right now, raptors can't afford to have rookies on the floor.
              Last edited by iblastoff; Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:47 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                All I know is...this kid's gonna be special:

                Comment


                • #9
                  iblastoff wrote: View Post
                  i hope T Ross gets more minutes, but right now, raptors can't afford to have rookies on the floor.
                  Why not!?!?! yes the injury to Rondo, opens the playoff widow a smidge, but our odds are still quite small. Even if we make the playoffs this year it's not like we are going to make any noise. For this franchise to make the next step we are going to need serious contribution for JV and Ross. The question I would ask, would be is it better for their development to get more minutes/game if that means we miss the playoffs, or give them limited minutes in the hopes that we make the playoffs, because the limited minutes they get in the playoffs will provide a better experience? And I think it's a tough call, because there's no guarantee that giving them limited minutes will result in any more wins.

                  Personally, I'd rather let them play, if they learn a lot and we still squeeze into the playoffs that's ideal, but even if we don't get there this year we would be in better shape next year than if we played them limited minutes and still didn't make the playoffs.

                  Ross Per/36
                  Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL
                  21 TOR NBA SG 41 0 726 5.8 14.1 .412 2.3 6.7 .341 0.6 1.0 .571 1.1 3.5 4.6 1.5 1.4
                  BLK TOV PF PTS
                  0.4 1.4 3.6 14.5

                  Derozan Per/36
                  Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL
                  20 TOR NBA SG 77 65 1664 5.5 11.1 .498 0.1 0.3 .250 3.2 4.2 .763 1.4 3.4 4.8 1.1 0.9
                  BLK TOV PF PTS
                  0.4 1.3 3.8 14.3

                  Ross advanced stats
                  MP PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
                  726 11.6 .498 .493 3.5 11.8 7.6 7.3 2.1 1.0 8.7 20.7 98 109 0.1 0.4 0.5 .035

                  Demar Advanced stats
                  PER TS% eFG% ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG% ORtg DRtg OWS DWS WS WS/48
                  12.5 .554 .502 4.8 10.9 7.9 4.9 1.3 0.8 9.4 18.1 110 115 2.0 0.3 2.3 .066

                  It's not necessarily fair to compare first year numbers since there are still 38 games left to play this season but they are fairly similar. I actually expected ross to be more slightly more productive but that's not what this data shows. I think it would be difficult to say that Ross is clearly better than Demar was in his rookie campaign.

                  EDIT: sorry it's hard to read but you can see the stats in an easy to understand format by visiting basket-ball.reference.com which is where these stats come from.
                  Last edited by ezz_bee; Mon Jan 28, 2013, 06:16 AM.
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

                  "I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

                  "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Ross needs to either gain more confidence or learn to shoot better. His percentages are pretty brutal.. I know he's a rookie but those numbers shouldn't deserve starter minutes (DeMar shouldn't have been a starter either as a rookie though).

                    The one advantage DeMar had over Ross was his ability to get fouled. Although DeMar doesn't dunk as much as he should he still got to the rim a lot more than Ross does.. and those points in the paint are worth a lot more than those shots from the outside - especially since there is a far greater chance that the ball will go in when shot inside the paint.

                    I do agree that Ross makes DeMar expendable though. It's a big reason why DeMar's extension this early was idiotic.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      themasao wrote: View Post
                      All I know is...this kid's gonna be special: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZPnKJgd8U4
                      Great vid. Cant wait to see this guy grow.
                      I think they have the wrong stadium in the intro haha

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        When Ross gains some experience and gets comfortable in the league, he can easily take Derozan's place in the starting unit. Derozan can then be traded. If he(Demar) continues playing the way he is, they should get something nice for him.
                        Attitude Is A Choice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I feel like we have similar situation, maybe not as good, as what Indiana has, with Granger and George. I think we should also follow a similar format as they've done, letting George develop off the bench for his first couple of years, and now look at him. Granger is easily expandable for them now. If we could be patient with Ross for a couple of years, then Derozan becomes expandable, and we can get a good return for him in the future.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Let's not forget that DeRozan had a double team magnet (i.e Bosh) to help his offense as a rookie. Ross doesn't have that luxury.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Let's not forget that DeRozan had a double team magnet (i.e Bosh) to help his offense as a rookie. Ross doesn't have that luxury.
                              thats a very good point too!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X