Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have we entered an alternate universe? Are the Raptors buyers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Have we entered an alternate universe? Are the Raptors buyers?

    That said ...

    Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, in the wake of the Gay trade, is now openly acknowledging that he's shopping former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani. The Lakers' interest in Bargnani remains a matter of debate in the midst of the Italian's worst-ever season by far, but the not-for-public-consumption message that continues to emanate from Canada is that Toronto remains intent on pursuing Gasol even after trading for Gay.

    At a news conference Friday, Colangelo acknowledged that the Raptors are prepared to stray into luxury-tax territory in the "right transaction." One source close to the situation says Gasol is a guy who fits those parameters, depending on the rest of potential trade principals besides Bargnani./

    So we'll see, over the next 20 days, if the Lakers change their stance on Gasol's availability ... and if Toronto can even assemble a package to tempt them without Jose Calderon's expiring contract to attach to Bargnani.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ruths-deadline

    Very interesting.

    What do you think, should the Raptors trade for Gasol if the opportunity arises?
    48
    Yes
    66.67%
    32
    No
    33.33%
    16

  • #2
    I think they should. The Raptors lacks a solid veteran now that Calderon is gone and it would be a great learning opportunity for JV!

    edit: it also means MSLE is 100% behind BC... for better or for worse.
    Last edited by mtth; Sat Feb 2nd, 2013, 09:21 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      It really all depends who we give up for him. I just think that we are not going to be able to throw a better offer than some other teams now that Jose can not be shipped to LA. With that in mind, I feel like we are going to have to give up more than we should, so it is most likely a no.

      Still, very interesting, and I am beyond curious to see what Colangelo does with the last 3 weeks before the deadline.

      Comment


      • #4
        Voted yes because I think Gasol would be rejuvenated in Toronto and would enjoy playing with the youngsters. At the same time I think Bargs would also be rejuvenated and I find it hard to see him not playing hard on a team with Kobe.

        Comment


        • #5
          I still wanna stay young... this team isn't really ready for the big boys yet.
          The Double Champ is here!
          Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
          Raptors: Larry O'Brien

          Comment


          • #6
            BTW, Gasol started last night and had 22pts on 8/15 shooting, 1/1 3pt, 5/5 ft; 12 rebs; 2 ast, 3 blk, 1 to, and 0 fouls.

            He is not lowering his trade value when given opportunities, that is for sure.

            Comment


            • #7
              Mack North wrote: View Post
              I still wanna stay young... this team isn't really ready for the big boys yet.
              I agree to some extent. But then I think about the current squad with Lowry and Gay 26, DD 23, Amir 25, Ross 21, Fields 24, Acy 22, and JV 20 can handle an older veteran.

              It is the assets that is the issue, for me, in giving him up. If the Raps can get him without parting with Amir, Ross, or JV you have to pretty much do it. If you can get him without giving up Ross, JV, Amir, or DD, bring it on.

              I don't care about the luxury tax. Raps lost all possible flexibility with DD's extension and trading for Gay was the final nail in the coffin.

              Comment


              • #8
                Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I agree to some extent. But then I think about the current squad with Lowry and Gay 26, DD 23, Amir 25, Ross 21, Fields 24, Acy 22, and JV 20 can handle an older veteran.

                It is the assets that is the issue, for me, in giving him up. If the Raps can get him without parting with Amir, Ross, or JV you have to pretty much do it. If you can get him without giving up Ross, JV, Amir, or DD, bring it on.

                I don't care about the luxury tax. Raps lost all possible flexibility with DD's extension and trading for Gay was the final nail in the coffin.
                I should have specified the same reasons actually. I've heard #7 and Ross for Pau, which I would not do. As long as we keep the youngins u mentioned, then fine. I just don't see it happening. I'm also hesitant to throw a 1st rounder in there. But to my understanding it would have to be a 2015 pick potentially, as you cannot trade consecutive 1st rounders. Of course that only applies if we don't end up with a top 3 this year.
                The Double Champ is here!
                Dynasty King: RRNBADLS7
                Raptors: Larry O'Brien

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mack North wrote: View Post
                  I should have specified the same reasons actually. I've heard #7 and Ross for Pau, which I would not do. As long as we keep the youngins u mentioned, then fine. I just don't see it happening. I'm also hesitant to throw a 1st rounder in there. But to my understanding it would have to be a 2015 pick potentially, as you cannot trade consecutive 1st rounders. Of course that only applies if we don't end up with a top 3 this year.
                  Hell no! Fuck no!

                  Good thing is Raps can't throw in a first round pick - period! I love having Colangelo's hands tied on 1st rd picks!

                  If the Raps end up with a top 3 pick AFTER acquiring Gay..... holy shit. Raps are set. Ahhhhh the positivity is creeping back in to me.... ahhhh..... noooooooo..... what is happening?



                  And what happened then?
                  Well in Raptorville that say.
                  Matt52's small heart grew 3 sizes that day!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here's my biggest issue with the deal. Pau needs touches and there simply aren't enough of those to go around whereas a guy like amir will be happy with his 9-10 shots a night off of drive and kicks. Personally I think at this point we have to trade bargnani for whatever we can get because when he comes back it's going to kill our chemistry (remember, he likely thinks he's still the best player on the team and will take every shot he thinks is "open"). I think you trade him for a backup pg or a 2nd-rounder or low first because I have heard from someone close to the raptors (I know it sounds corny) that Andrea had little to no value even before the injury. Teams will also know that the raptors are desperate to deal him and won't offer as much because getting Andrea back will kill whatever we saw last night.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      qb5PHILA@hotmail.com wrote: View Post
                      Here's my biggest issue with the deal. Pau needs touches and there simply aren't enough of those to go around whereas a guy like amir will be happy with his 9-10 shots a night off of drive and kicks. Personally I think at this point we have to trade bargnani for whatever we can get because when he comes back it's going to kill our chemistry (remember, he likely thinks he's still the best player on the team and will take every shot he thinks is "open"). I think you trade him for a backup pg or a 2nd-rounder or low first because I have heard from someone close to the raptors (I know it sounds corny) that Andrea had little to no value even before the injury. Teams will also know that the raptors are desperate to deal him and won't offer as much because getting Andrea back will kill whatever we saw last night.
                      Pau is a great passer and low post scoring threat. The Raps have a number of perimeter threats right now but they don't have anyone they can dump it in to down low and who can consistently create something.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Pau is a great passer and low post scoring threat. The Raps have a number of perimeter threats right now but they don't have anyone they can dump it in to down low and who can consistently create something.
                        Yeah, he would compliment the current team very well IMO. As much as I want the Raptors to stay young, I can't deny the impact that a player like Gasol would have

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Gasol would be great, only if we DONT have to include Ross or Val!! Pau is a great passing bigman who can rebound well & has prob. the best set of post moves in the NBA. he could slide right into the starting C spot & be a great mentor Jonas..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Do it in a heartbeat if it doesn't cost us one of our young players. This team still badly needs a veteran or two in key roles. And real NBA vets with real playoff experience. End of benchers like Gray and AA don't count, no matter how well they step up when asked to. If we don't lose a young player, I really don't see a negative to this deal. I'm not the one who pays the luxury tax, and as the roster was constructed we wouldn't have been players this year in free agency anyway. And Gasol has that nice expiring contract next year. Not to mention if he would take a paycut, he might be exactly the kind of vet and change of pace to keep next to Amir and JV in the long run.
                            He'd be a great mentor to JV (who I'm pretty sure loves Pau's game). With those 3 bigs, unless the other team is playing small, most nights we can probably throw out any 2 of those guys and never have to worry about matchups. Also with our team becoming more perimeter oriented, he would provide a much needed low-post player to help with floor spacing and play inside-out basketball.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              It is the assets that is the issue, for me, in giving him up. If the Raps can get him without parting with Amir, Ross, or JV you have to pretty much do it. If you can get him without giving up Ross, JV, Amir, or DD, bring it on.
                              I just do not think that is at all possible. The players you'd be offering the Lakers would be Bargnani, Fields, Anderson, Kleiza, or/and John Lucas. I do not think the Lakers would want any of those guys. They want a legitimate piece to move forward with, and not inconsistent bench guys. If we want Gasol, we need to split with someone like Amir or Ross (with Bargnani and another bench guy like Anderson). It is just not worth it, to me.

                              With the trade assets we have, Colangelo would have to do something pretty spectacular to get a guy like Gasol on the team. I think we see many smaller deals made to just improve the overall roster (Backup PG/PF/C)

                              EDIT: The only way it could happen would be with something like another three team deal. While I think Atlanta could be good for that third team, I just do not trust BC to pull it off.
                              Last edited by Red and White; Sat Feb 2nd, 2013, 10:14 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X