Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does B.C. regret drafting Barg over Gay $9 million later?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does B.C. regret drafting Barg over Gay $9 million later?

    So in 2006, B.C. drafted Barg 1st and Houston drafted Gay 8 and shipped him to Memphis. Since then B.C. had been trying to land Gay and finally got him last week. Does that mean he wished long time ago he drafted Gay instead of Barg?

    Fast forward 2013 and B.C. finally go his man. How is it that Gay is now worth almost double what Barg is making? Is it a question of the team he played for? After the Grizzlies were originally a Canadian team. Is it because he was and still is that much better than Barg or is it because he had Gasol and Randolph playing along side him.

    How good could the Raps have been with Bosh and Gay instead of Bosh and Barg?

    To finally get your guy at almost 9 million dollars more than the guy you thought was good enough to be #1 pick must really suck for B.C. Basically his pick cost the organization $9 million dollars when you put thing in the grand scheme of things.

    What are your thoughts on this?

  • #2
    GMs who focus on "What if I had done ..." instead "What if I do ... " are not worth their weight in pennies.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hugmenot wrote: View Post
      GMs who focus on "What if I had done ..." instead "What if I do ... " are not worth their weight in pennies.
      Exactly. He hasn't given that a second thought, nor should he.

      Comment


      • #4
        Meh, people said the same thing about Brandon Roy before his knees gave out. Had Bargnani fulfilled his draft-buzz potential of becoming the next Dirk, people would've questioned BC's decision of not drafting him, had he instead selected Roy/Gay (the old addage about going big when all else is equal - just like Portland did with Oden). Hindsight is 20/20; no real point replaying the past.

        Comment


        • #5
          CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Meh, people said the same thing about Brandon Roy before his knees gave out. Had Bargnani fulfilled his draft-buzz potential of becoming the next Dirk, people would've questioned BC's decision of not drafting him, had he instead selected Roy/Gay (the old addage about going big when all else is equal - just like Portland did with Oden). Hindsight is 20/20; no real point replaying the past.
          You are right. No point replaying the past, but does it not look BAD on him now having to pay someone you passed on almost twice the amount you are paying the guy you drafted first? How should that make Barg feel also. No on to blame but himself thought right?

          Comment


          • #6
            Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
            You are right. No point replaying the past, but does it not look BAD on him now having to pay someone you passed on almost twice the amount you are paying the guy you drafted first? How should that make Barg feel also. No on to blame but himself thought right?
            I'm not sure what salary has to do with anything. Who knows what Gay or Bargnani would have been offered had they started their careers out elsewhere? It all depends on positional supply/demand, opportunity as a rookie, etc... lots of factors that need to be considered over the past 7 years, which makes it near impossible to do so realistically.

            Comment


            • #7
              Of course he does....he'd never admit it though

              I mean does Stu Inman regret drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan?

              Hindsight is 20/20, the draft can be such a crapshoot at times it seems, sometimes the GM's and scouts don't deserve the vitriol.

              Lets' shoot back to 2006, raptors go up there with the first pick and select "Rudy Gay" as their first overall pick? What is the reaction? Raptors would be mocked by all, and everyone would wish they had drafted Bargs at the time.

              Although Aldridge has turned into an all-star, at the time Bargs was worth the risk. They were hoping he could be sort of haphazard Dirk Nowitzki, but the man just does not have a physical side to him and is allergic to the paint. He had the talent though, so they drafted him.

              Comment


              • #8
                JasonS wrote: View Post
                Of course he does....he'd never admit it though

                I mean does Stu Inman regret drafting Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan?

                Hindsight is 20/20, the draft can be such a crapshoot at times it seems, sometimes the GM's and scouts don't deserve the vitriol.

                Lets' shoot back to 2006, raptors go up there with the first pick and select "Rudy Gay" as their first overall pick? What is the reaction? Raptors would be mocked by all, and everyone would wish they had drafted Bargs at the time.

                Although Aldridge has turned into an all-star, at the time Bargs was worth the risk. They were hoping he could be sort of haphazard Dirk Nowitzki, but the man just does not have a physical side to him and is allergic to the paint. He had the talent though, so they drafted him.
                The problem with that kind of thinking is that you'd be comparing Bargnai to Gay (in this case) in a vacuum. However, had the Raptors drafted Gay instead, the last 7 years would've been completely different. Maybe the Raptors are in better shape today, with a more successful history, or maybe not? Maybe Gay walked earlier and let the team in a bigger shambles. We'd likely have missed out on guys like DeRozan, Valanciunas and Ross, who knows?

                The only way to do a proper comparison is to be able to go back in time, replay the whole past 7 years, then compare the next effect of all the changes. It's impossible. It's unfair to simply look at Bargnani VS Gay. Obviously a bigger disparity, like Bowie/MJ or Oden/Durant is a little easier comparison to make. I'm just not sure how much more of an impact Gay would have had for sure on this franchise.

                Comment


                • #9
                  No Regrets

                  Well has both now...so what the big deal....

                  Here is a WHAT IF!

                  What if Andrea plays well again tonight...


                  WHAT IF he shoots the light out...opens more space and we blow out the C's

                  WHAT IF
                  It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.


                  Muhammad Ali

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                    Well has both now...so what the big deal....

                    Here is a WHAT IF!

                    What if Andrea plays well again tonight...


                    WHAT IF he shoots the light out...opens more space and we blow out the C's

                    WHAT IF
                    Actually, I believe if Barg can accept the role of 6th man, we could be in really great position moving forward.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Risk Mgmt wrote: View Post
                      Well has both now...so what the big deal....

                      Here is a WHAT IF!

                      What if Andrea plays well again tonight...


                      WHAT IF he shoots the light out...opens more space and we blow out the C's

                      WHAT IF
                      lol I think this question is being debated in a few other threads already!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        The problem with that kind of thinking is that you'd be comparing Bargnai to Gay (in this case) in a vacuum. However, had the Raptors drafted Gay instead, the last 7 years would've been completely different. Maybe the Raptors are in better shape today, with a more successful history, or maybe not? Maybe Gay walked earlier and let the team in a bigger shambles. We'd likely have missed out on guys like DeRozan, Valanciunas and Ross, who knows?

                        The only way to do a proper comparison is to be able to go back in time, replay the whole past 7 years, then compare the next effect of all the changes. It's impossible. It's unfair to simply look at Bargnani VS Gay. Obviously a bigger disparity, like Bowie/MJ or Oden/Durant is a little easier comparison to make. I'm just not sure how much more of an impact Gay would have had for sure on this franchise.
                        I get where you are coming from and 100% correct in that things would have turned out differently with our drafts since, BUT you can't tell me that money has nothing to do with things now. I mean come on, lots of fans, including myself at first was bitching about the money being spent on Gay and possibly tying our hands moving forward. After the first game and seeing his passion, I am on board. But first I wasn't because of the future deals. Now Having Gay here will, in my opinion, open the door for others to want to come here!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Pointless thread...Impossible to second guess such decisions.

                          I mean, you could also say if BC was never really sold on Bosh as a franchise player (which I don't think anyone believes he was), why didn't he just trade him on draft night that year for a huge haul, draft Aldridge, and the team would've been competitive again very quickly? Say, maybe he could've traded Bosh to get Gay on draft night as part of a package, even....

                          Or even crazier, what if Rob Babcock had drafted Iguodala, then Bynum and Granger the next year? He might still be our GM now. Our lineup would've been Bynum, Bosh, Granger, Iguodala and Calderon (undrafted FA remember)...

                          There's absolutely no telling how BC's decision affected the team compared to other choices. He could've made just as poor decisions trying to put a team around Bosh and Gay, and wasted just as much if not more money.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Feb 6th, 2013, 05:37 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Pointless thread...Impossible to second guess such decisions.

                            I mean, you could also say if BC was never really sold on Bosh as a franchise player (which I don't think anyone believes he was), why didn't he just trade him on draft night that year for a huge haul, draft Aldridge, and the team would've been competitive again very quickly? Say, maybe he could've traded Bosh to get Gay on draft night as part of a package, even....

                            Or even crazier, what if Rob Babcock had drafted Iguodala, then Bynum and Granger the next year? He might still be our GM now. Our lineup would've been Bynum, Bosh, Granger, Iguodala and Calderon (undrafted FA remember)...

                            There's absolutely no telling how BC's decision affected the team compared to other choices. He could've made just as poor decisions trying to put a team around Bosh and Gay, and wasted just as much if not more money.
                            How is it a pointless thread? The whole question was do you think B.C. Regret not picking Gay over Barg now that he has to shell out millions more to get him?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Also, where are you getting the 9 million from?? what is that number? Bargs' contract was 5 years 50 million...I'm pretty sure Gay's was something like 5 years 82 million. That's an average of 6.4 million per year difference....where is the 9 million coming from

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X