Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yeah, that's a pretty valid point.

Unfortunately, AI's attitude basically led to him blacklisting himself from the NBA. It's too bad really. He just couldn't deal with having a lesser role. I don't even think that would necessarily have to be off the bench, but yeah, teams were just too afraid to bring someone in who A) can't live with a diminished role, and B) hates "practice". Doesn't really make a manager think "this guy would be good for this situation".

AI's a great example of the importance of character. He even had a great competitive spirit, and was generally not a bad character in a lot of ways. Just that ego that he couldn't keep in check. To this day I think it's because Philly never put a legitimate 2nd leader on those teams that could challenge him, especially when he was young. Never had a real mentor, or someone to hold him accountable.
    It's possible, though, that there was no one in the league who could have effectively done those things. Dude was insanely hardheaded.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

In case you haven't seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckp8CsIEReY

A long interview with AI by (the normally unlistenable/unwatchable/unreadable) Stephen A. Smith. Fantastic watching. Great insight into his character.
      Last edited by JimiCliff; Thu Aug 22, 2013, 06:03 PM.
      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        It's possible, though, that there was no one in the league who could have effectively done those things. Dude was insanely hardheaded.
        Yeah, but I don't feel like they even tried. I mean the first major move they did was to accommodate his ego by trading Stackhouse, who was more talented than pretty much every teammate he had in Philly after that except maybe Mutumbo.

You have to impact a guy's personality like that pretty early on, like M. Malone did for Barkley when he was a rookie in Philly.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          In case you haven't seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckp8CsIEReY

An long interview with AI by (the normally unlistenable/unwatchable/unreadable) Stephen A. Smith. Fantastic watching. Great insight into his character.
          Thanks for posting that Jimi. Checked the first couple minutes, look forward to watching the rest.

What year was that filmed? The year he returned to Philly?
          Last edited by Joey; Thu Aug 22, 2013, 08:52 AM.

Comment

love AI... but this is kinda like if Tupac or Biggie released albums posthumously...

oh wait.... that happened...

Comment

Greatest NBA playoff series for me. Every game was close and intense. Just a great duel. Iverson would score 50 one game. VC would answer back with a 50 of his own the next game. Just an unbelievable series.

Last edited by The Great One; Thu Aug 22, 2013, 11:17 AM.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Ugh... I think these guys think they're being witty. I think they're just jerks. AI is going to the hall of fame, leave the man alone. He's clearly been humbled enough already, hasn't he?

If he hasn't officially retired, maybe its due to his love of the game. Just a thought.

Comment

Comment

AI would dominate in the current NBA. MVP and leading scorer for sure. He did it all with hand-checks and a lot more grinding on the perimeter. Guys like D Wade are lucky they didn't have to play in AI's NBA (Wade would be even more injured). It's a shame he was before his time. I'd love to pull him and Reggie Miller and put them in today's NBA. With all the driving lanes and 3 pointers being hoisted, those two would be even more dominant, and that's hard cause they are already HOFers.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Thanks for posting that Jimi. Checked the first couple minutes, look forward to watching the rest.

What year was that filmed? The year he returned to Philly?
                      2005, before he left Philly the first time.
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                        Greatest NBA playoff series for me. Every game was close and intense. Just a great duel. Iverson would score 50 one game. VC would answer back with a 50 of his own the next game. Just an unbelievable series.

I get a little bit emotional watching these videos ... these were the days to be a Raptors fan... was probably the most fun I've ever had as a basketball fan... and probably the most heartbroken I've ever been.
                        Last edited by Joey; Thu Aug 22, 2013, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I love this man. not only was he amazing to watch on the court but he was a funny guy of the court. His personality was something else. these days we only got ourselfs a Dwight and westbrook that give us the occasional laugh
                          What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                          The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                          No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                            AI would dominate in the current NBA. MVP and leading scorer for sure. He did it all with hand-checks and a lot more grinding on the perimeter. Guys like D Wade are lucky they didn't have to play in AI's NBA (Wade would be even more injured). It's a shame he was before his time. I'd love to pull him and Reggie Miller and put them in today's NBA. With all the driving lanes and 3 pointers being hoisted, those two would be even more dominant, and that's hard cause they are already HOFers.
                            Exactly. AI spent as much time in the air as he did being slammed to the ground in a much more physical NBA. When I used to introduce girlfriends to basketball the first person I would show highlights of was Iverson. He was fearless, super fast and mad athletic, but he was the size of an average person. Once in a lifetime player. Hall of fame. But he never played with anything resembling a good team when he was at his peak, and that ego... What could have been...

Comment

Apparently 'The Glove' has much to do with the whole "practice" rant.

http://dimemag.com/2013/08/gary-payt...actice-speech/

Comment

Am proud to say I saw him play live.

Comment

Working...
                                X