Steph Curry >> Blake Griffin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steph Curry >> Blake Griffin

Created a thread similar to this last year where i ranked the top 3 players of the 2009 draft.

I had Curry #1 followed by Harden #2 and then Griffin #3. A lot of people here disagreed, most had Griffin #1.

So do you guys still think Griffin is better than Curry??

If you're building a team right now, who would you rather have? Curry, Harden or Griffin??
    Mamba Mentality

Harden, easy.

Still very worried about Curry's ankles, given the "if you're building a team" context.

Blake's overhyped and probably too limited to even be #2 on a championship team - probably your third best player.
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
      Harden, easy.

Still very worried about Curry's ankles, given the "if you're building a team" context.

Blake's overhyped and probably too limited to even be #2 on a championship team - probably your third best player.
      Agreed. I take Harden over Curry cause of his ankles. I want nothing to do with Griffin. Great for dunks, but he really has no moves down low and needs an incredible pass first point guard to have an impact offensively.

Comment

I'm going to find the best doctors and have each of them spend as much time as they need with Curry, and then I'll decide.

Curry is the best right now, IMO. I think he's close to Dirk's "no way to defend" territory. You can't give him any space even a feet outside the 3pt line, even on the move. And then he has the ability to get around you, he's very good from mid range, and he's a very willing passer.

I think he's also the most "flexible." Like LeBron, Durant, younger Dirk, I think offensively you can put Curry into any system, next to any star, and it's going to work very well.

But the gap just isn't big enough to ignore health. Blake Griffin has missed... 2 games? in the 4 years since missing his rookie season. He was banged up at times but he played anyway. That's a healthy player. James Harden is also one of the healthier stars in the league.

If my doctors convince me that health is not an issue, it's Curry. Otherwise I'm tossing a coin between Harden and Griffin. I don't think Griffin is overrated, he's probably underrated at this point, I think there's sort of a Vince Carter effect. Too much hype too early, and then people get tired of it and dismiss the player as just a flashy dunker, even though he's much more.

I think I'd rank these players 1. Curry, 2. Griffin, 3. Harden as of now. But I think Harden has the most upside left in him. Which is why like I said, I'd probably end up tossing a coin. But right now, Harden is the worst defender of these 3. And he has no midrange compared to other volume scoring guards, which makes him a bit too predictable and reliant on calls, and IMO why the Pacers and the Grizzlies did a great job slowing him down last year. Those are big flaws. But it's entirely possible that he improves his midrange in the next few years. If he does that, he could become the best offensive player in the league. It's also possible, but I think less likely, that he improves defensively; he just doesn't seem to care.

Comment

A great topic btw, not easy to answer at all.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
            A great topic btw, not easy to answer at all.
            Agree.
            I think each choice is legitimate, and all three really have a lot of growing left to do.

PF isn't the deepest of positions these days.
            If Blake really turns it up, he could feast.

But he would be my #3.

In a strange way, I almost feel like Curry and Harden pose the exact same offensive threat, but from different range.
            Nobody is more likely to get to the free-throw line than Harden;
            nobody is more likely to hit a 3 than Curry.

Curry's will really separates him in my mind, but I also worry about his ability to stay healthy.
            Harden on the other hand, I think, hasn't grown up yet.

This is really the X-factor.

When it comes to Blake, I don't think he ever really will grow up.
            Curry - he's already there.

But Harden, if he can get his mind right, he's the best of the bunch.
            That's how I see it.

Otherwise, it's Curry.

I guess, simply put, it's like this:
            Blake, he'll get better, but never good enough.
            Curry, he's the best of the 3 right now, but I think this is about his ceiling.
            Harden, I think he's got a lot more on tap and God help us all if he decides he really wants to see what he's made of.

Comment

It always comes back to health with Curry. You want to be able to build around someone you think has a good chance of being durable...among other things.

If health was not considered, Curry is the easy choice. Amazing scorer and lights out shooter. Great team player, and excellent leadership qualities which you need at the PG position (I'd say the best leader of the 3). Works really well in a system. If it wasn't for his ankles...Hard to see him having a long career. Could be a small window to compete with him at this level. And any given season could be derailed by an ankle injury.

Considering health, I'd go with Harden. He's got a solid all-around offensive game, and can run the O. Think he still needs to grow as a leader. Not quite as good as Curry at being a clutch scoring threat. Curry's elite in terms of being able to take over a game as a scorer, where you just can't shut him down. Harden might be able to take his game up a bit higher though (we'll find out in the playoffs). And Harden, if he stays healthy, has a game that should translate really well as he ages. He already has kind of an old man's game.

Griffin is a player I'm not a big fan of, as he's not really improved since entering the league. He's not a really a leader, and he's not a very smart player. He really needs to improve his skills (especially in the post) because he won't be able to rely on his athleticism forever. He has the talent, but i just don't think he has the right makeup to really tap it. Honestly don't even like him much as a #2 guy. Think he has a lot to prove. And I'd also be a bit worried about the strain on his knees/ankles in the long-term, since he gets up so high and is a pretty big dude.

Curry currently fits the bill best as a guy to build around, with Harden a close 2nd, but because Harden is a safer bet in the health department, that bumps him ahead. If he's likely to have more healthy seasons in his prime, that gives you more chances to build a contender knowing you have one of the top 2-3 core guys you need. Griffin I think is just never going to maximize his talent, and probably ends up fitting best as a #3 guy on a great team. Hasn't shown the leadership or IQ to make me want him in as one of my top two guys.

Comment

I think Griffin just needs a better shot. If he could knock down a 15 footer with reliability, like Amare or Horford can, his game would open up. The rest of it - including post skills, handle, passing ability - is very good for a PF. But without defenders having to respect his shot, his post game is easy to defend and more flashy than effective. He has great spin moves and a great powerful drop step, but defenders only have to stay in front of him, and all of that leads nowhere much of the time. It's kind of like Hakeem not having a fadeaway -- there would be no dream shake if that was the case.

Griffin is still a great player and a legit all star, but he could be the best offensive PF in the game if he could shoot a bit more. He's kind of like DeMar at that; there seems to be a slight improvement to his shooting every year, but it's slow and may never be good enough. This season, his mid range numbers actually look decent so far, but it remains to be seen if it's sustainable and if defenders will be forced to respect it.

Comment

Working...
                X