Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enforcing the divisions to strengthen rivalries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcing the divisions to strengthen rivalries?

I've been against the idea of divisions, so naturally my knee-jerk reaction to the following quote was disagreement. But I have to admit it's interesting and he certainly has a point. The catch would be that some worthy teams wouldn't make the playoffs, and a team's record would not be a reliable indicator of their standings in the league at large, but it certainly could stimulate a little more competitive spirit. I guess what it really makes me conscious of, is that either direction would be more interesting than what we have now.

"It’s hard to defend the division format as we’ve come to know it and as it has played out, especially this year. But rolling with big ol’ clumps of 15 teams per conference seems unwieldy to me for what still is the NBA’s meat and potatoes, the regular season. And the hand-wringing over the East this season seems a wee reactionary – this down year is cyclical and flukey, as I see it. How ’bout going the other way and making the divisions mean something, by boosting the number of games played within them? Imagine playing eight games against each division foe (a total of 32) and two against everyone else (50) regardless of conference. I know, that might stink in depriving fans of seeing certain teams and stars come to town more than once. But it would build and enhance rivalries that are so lacking now. So my short answer: No."

- Steve Aschburner, NBA.com

I was thinking this exact same thing actually the other day.

By forcing a Division like the Atlantic to fight within itself, it would naturally drive up the Record of some teams within the Division.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      I was thinking this exact same thing actually the other day.

By forcing a Division like the Atlantic to fight within itself, it would naturally drive up the Record of some teams within the Division.
      Sure the record would go up, but it doesn't do anything to change the CAUSE of the problem which is that all the teams in the division are a combination or low talent/injuries/bad coaching

So inflating there records by having them play each other more does what exactly? Make them feel better about themselves?
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        Sure the record would go up, but it doesn't do anything to change the CAUSE of the problem which is that all the teams in the division are a combination or low talent/injuries/bad coaching

So inflating there records by having them play each other more does what exactly? Make them feel better about themselves?
        Bang on. Winning more games doesn't make a team better (hear that anti-tankers!!). All that would happen is you'd end up with a baseball style scenario where you'd have strong divisions and weak divisions. Don't really see it as an improvement. Go NCAA style, all 30 teams, first round is single elimination lol. Now that would be entertainment!
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          Go NCAA style, all 30 teams, first round is single elimination lol. Now that would be entertainment!
          The numbers wouldn't work. You'd either need to ADD two more NBA teams (dilute the talent) OR Give the Conference Champions a guaranteed spot using the current system with have the other 14 teams in each conference do single elimination for the remaining seven spots.

Conversely, you could have the top 7 spots guaranteed by the same system, and have the remaining 16 teams battle it out in a 3 round single elimination tourney for the last 2 spots.
          Last edited by ezz_bee; Thu Dec 12, 2013, 09:44 AM.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I think the way to go is to get rid of the divisions being determined by geography, and just decide them at the beginning of each season based on last year's performance, changes to roster, and strength predictions. That would make it much less likely for a division to be atrocious and would make the conferences more balanced.

I really don't think distance has anything to do with rivalries (except in cases where teams are in the same city). Rivalries are created by playing meaningful games by teams of relatively equal strength. Arbitrarily created new divisions at the start of the year based on entertainment value and parity would be a good first step. Abolishing the draft lottery and implementing something that rewarded winning (even if it was winning among the bottom 10,5,3) would also create more rivalries.

I'm probably going to write a more expansive post on this later today or tomorrow.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
              The numbers wouldn't work. You'd either need to ADD two more NBA teams (dilute the talent) OR Give the Conference Champions a guaranteed spot using the current system with have the other 14 teams in each conference do single elimination for the remaining seven spots.

Conversely, you could have the top 7 spots guaranteed by the same system, and have the remaining 16 teams battle it out in a 3 round single elimination tourney for the last 2 spots.
              I was mostly joking but it could work. There would be a bye for the top x teams, only the first round is single elimination, second round is best of 3 or 5 games, then Conference Finals (or whatever name it would be) and NBA Finals would be good ol best of 7.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
              X