No announcement yet.

How to fix the NBA in two simple steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fair enough. but as is, these guys arent anywhere close to ready to play in the NBA, and the overall talent level, and the quality of the picks is just too unreliable.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
      the quality of the picks is just too unreliable.
      I'm not sure I agree with this, it seems like drafts are getting more reliable every year. Also, I kind of like the idea of there being some unreliability in the draft picks... provides competitive advantage if you are a team with good management
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

What exactly are you trying to fix? It sounds like you don't like bad teams but in the NBA there will always be less parity. It's a function of the effect one great player can have on the entire league.

In fact, I would argue that there is far more parity in the NBA right now than in the history of the league. In the 80s it was Celtics/Lakers (I remember one west coast trip where Bird shot with his left hand to make games more challenging). 90s were the Bulls. Since Jordan left, however, there have been a wide variety of champs and success stories. Someone pointed out that in the last 10 years, close to 75% of teams have made a conference finals. That's pretty exceptional for the NBA from where I stand.

People coming up with all these convoluted, pet ideas to "fix" the draft is pointless. Every system can be gamed. If you take away the lottery you may as well at the same time cut the league to 12 teams or so cause there are many organizations that have no hope of building through free agency. They need the lottery desperately.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
          What exactly are you trying to fix? It sounds like you don't like bad teams but in the NBA there will always be less parity. It's a function of the effect one great player can have on the entire league.
          I'm not trying to fix parity, or try to eliminate bad teams. What I'm trying to fix is the incentive to be bad that is produced by the way the current draft works. I also think that the lottery system enables bad GMs to go unnoticed, and which sucks for fans of those teams.

I think there are very simple ways that can greatly reduce the incentive to be the worst team in the league. The NBA is already doing that by making the top-3 spots a lottery. This was a move done EXPLICITLY to reduce the incentive to tank, I'm saying is that they new to look at the draft and try to reduce that incentive a little bit more.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
          X