Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NHL has better attendence than the NBA- seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL has better attendence than the NBA- seriously?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...0461--nhl.html

15 NHL teams have at least 100% (yes, attendance can be over 100% believe it or not) capacity at home this season while only 8 NBA markets can boast the same. The Raptors are not one of the 8.

Is hockey gaining popularity in the US or is basketball waning? Could the state of the Eastern Conference have something to do with this?

I noticed many empty seats in the recent Pacers game. It's too bad that one of the best teams in the league cannot consistently sell out.

Interesting article, and surprising.

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...0461--nhl.html

15 NHL teams have at least 100% (yes, attendance can be over 100% believe it or not) capacity at home this season while only 8 NBA markets can boast the same. The Raptors are not one of the 8.

Is hockey gaining popularity in the US or is basketball waning? Could the state of the Eastern Conference have something to do with this?

I noticed many empty seats in the recent Pacers game. It's too bad that one of the best teams in the league cannot consistently sell out.

Interesting article, and surprising.
    two words - polar cyclone.

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
      two words - polar cyclone.
      they are also not one of the 8 teams that consistently sell-out.

Comment

I read this article this morning, was going to post, but didn't have the time.

A couple things that jumped out at me:

The NHL traditionally has higher ticket prices than the NBA. For example, in the 2012-13 season the NHL had an average ticket price of $61.01 which topped that of the NBA ($50.99) according to Team Marketing Report. (And that was in a year with a lockout for the NHL.)

Yes, the numbers are incredible. Look at road attendance: The NBA has 16 teams playing on the road to buildings 90 percent or higher in capacity filled; the NHL has 29(!) teams playing in buildings with 90 percent or higher capacity.

But then again, it was the same way in 2011-12, too; 29 NHL road teams playing in buildings with a 90-percent or higher capacity; and 12 NBA teams doing the same.
        Very impressive numbers.

However:
        Remember when Jerry Moyes bankrupted the Phoenix Coyotes? One of the documents in the case was about turnstile count vs. reported attendance. The Coyotes’ tickets distributed in 2008-09: 14,626 on average for 41 home dates. The turnstile count, according to Moyes: 10,943 fans on average.
        But never lose sight of the fact that attendance is a shell game of frequently fudged numbers. Our league’s always been pretty damn good at papering buildings – 14,709 a night for the Florida Panthers this season? – and maybe we’re just better at it, overall, than the other guys.
        So these numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt.

But the one that really spoke to me was this:
        Look, hockey fans: We can still pop the champagne here. The League’s really, really going strong. We’ve taken slings and arrows from basketball fans while watching the diminishing returns of the NBA – a league that has its stars clustered on a handful of teams while desperately trying to generate new ones on moribund franchises – and it’s good to see hockey’s popularity getting recognized in comparison with its arena-mates.
        I have been feeling this ALOT lately ... that the NBA sort of determines who's worth Fluffing up and who's not, so to speak.

Comment

Its 100% true.

but im out of this one. the NHL is better than the NBA for many reasons, and with that....... poof, Im out.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
            Its 100% true.

but im out of this one. the NHL is better than the NBA for many reasons, and with that....... poof, Im out.
            The NHL sucks and so does Hockey

Comment

Turnstile count vs reported attendance is certainly interesting. And I often wonder how many seats are sold but remain empty? My gut tells this is minimal, but I think it depends on how many season tickets are sold corporately. Those seats are more likely to go empty then say an individual or family season ticket holder(s). But I guess it also depends on location and how the team is doing.

The point about parity is also interesting, and although I do not watch hockey much anymore, I do envy the NHL's playoffs as there is so much potential for upsets.

Comment

1. They have outdoor stadium games
                2. NHL is a gate driven league, NBA -- WAY better TV deals..Waaaay...
                3. You need parity when the gate is the priority-- when the majority of the money starts coming from the upcoming TV deals in Canada, I'm curious to see if parity remains...

Comment

NHL has better attendence than the NBA- seriously?
                  I thought everyone already knew that...
                  What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                  The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                  No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

lilmamba_ wrote: View Post
                    I thought everyone already knew that...
                    If by everyone you mean Canadians..

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
                      If by everyone you mean Canadians..
                      lool I thought it was clear to everyone the NHL has Leafs Nation.. that kinda explains it
                      What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                      The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                      No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

I think this has to do with the popularity of NCAA basketball as well. A lot of basketball fans would rather pay less for a better seat and go see an exciting NCAA team like Wisconsin than see the Bucks lose hard. Obviously there aren't many people who are going to an NBA game Tuesday night and then a NCAA game Wednesday night, so it is hard to support both teams. NCAA hockey is getting better but still all of the exciting young stars go into professional leagues (NHL, AHL, OHL, etc.) so the best way to see exciting hockey is to go to an NHL game. People won't have to split games and money between NHL and NCAA so they will pay the higher ticket price at an NHL game. I went to a Tampa Bay Lightning home game recently. My seats were center ice and 15 rows up for $70 dollars. I recently went to a Raptors home game as well. My seats were 20 rows up on an off angle for more than twice the price. Obviously, Raptors are a bigger market team but if you want to consistently sellout your crowd you have to be charging good prices. I mean seriously how many home games were the Raptors selling out before the Gay trade. So the ticket economics are good in the NHL even with a bad team on the ice whereas the NBA team has to be a really good team to sellout at the price they are charging.

Comment

JRedmond14 wrote: View Post
                          I think this has to do with the popularity of NCAA basketball as well. A lot of basketball fans would rather pay less for a better seat and go see an exciting NCAA team like Wisconsin than see the Bucks lose hard. Obviously there aren't many people who are going to an NBA game Tuesday night and then a NCAA game Wednesday night, so it is hard to support both teams. NCAA hockey is getting better but still all of the exciting young stars go into professional leagues (NHL, AHL, OHL, etc.) so the best way to see exciting hockey is to go to an NHL game. People won't have to split games and money between NHL and NCAA so they will pay the higher ticket price at an NHL game. I went to a Tampa Bay Lightning home game recently. My seats were center ice and 15 rows up for $70 dollars. I recently went to a Raptors home game as well. My seats were 20 rows up on an off angle for more than twice the price. Obviously, Raptors are a bigger market team but if you want to consistently sellout your crowd you have to be charging good prices. I mean seriously how many home games were the Raptors selling out before the Gay trade. So the ticket economics are good in the NHL even with a bad team on the ice whereas the NBA team has to be a really good team to sellout at the price they are charging.
                          Good points. But the thing that gets me is that more people in the US are filling up stadiums to watch NHL hockey than NBA basketball. That surprises me...alot. Ticket prices have alot to do with it I'm sure, but it still surprises me.

Comment

Well there are only a third of the NBA that isn't ****ing lol :P

edit: lol is T@NK really blocked? that's hilarious :P
                            A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

Working...
                            X